Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm struggling with muscle loss.

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I will up the Protein to 100. I'm not opposed to upping my carbs. I get 7.5-8 hours of good sleep a night and I never needed a cpap. I don't mind slowing down my weight loss in favor of keeping muscle. I knew that I would lose muscle mass but I didn't think about my posture changing enough to mean that I need to develop more muscle. I'm definitely losing strength. Four weeks ago I lost an employee and I have to cover his work. I went up the steps okay. Two weeks ago on the same route I noticed that it was slightly difficult. This week it was all that I could do to get to the top step. I am changing up the muscle groups daily and occasionally taking a day off if I had a bunch of steps that day.

Man, I am getting frustrated. I'm getting 60-80 grams of Protein a day and 64+ ounces of fluids. I keep losing muscle. I workout most days with a total gym, free weights, exercise bike and a simply fit board. I have 125 pounds on a hand truck and I've noticed that it is getting really tough to get it up steps. In general I feel weaker. I've always been strong just by working and now with working out I'm struggling. Unfortunately I can't afford a personal trainer at the moment or I would be going that direction. Any suggestions?

My team said 60-90g Protein average, BUT half your body weight in protein is better..if you're 260 lbs..that would be 130g of protein. I'd say up your intake and see if it helps.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I will up the Protein to 100. I'm not opposed to upping my carbs. I get 7.5-8 hours of good sleep a night and I never needed a cpap. I don't mind slowing down my weight loss in favor of keeping muscle. I knew that I would lose muscle mass but I didn't think about my posture changing enough to mean that I need to develop more muscle. I'm definitely losing strength. Four weeks ago I lost an employee and I have to cover his work. I went up the steps okay. Two weeks ago on the same route I noticed that it was slightly difficult. This week it was all that I could do to get to the top step. I am changing up the muscle groups daily and occasionally taking a day off if I had a bunch of steps that day.

Something that I didn't see many people talking about are the exercises that you're doing. If you want to gain muscle or at least keep your muscles toned when you have to do a lot of lifting. When my mom started running a lot and biking she lost a lot of lean muscle mass. I was Olympic weightlifting and powerlifting before my surgery and even though I wasn't losing weight I was definitely getting a lot stronger. I would suggest increasing the amount of weight lifting that you do, making sure that the weight is high and the reps are low only do a little bit of cardio if what you're worried about is muscle loss. Feeling tired and sore is a good thing as long as you're keeping up with everything else.

Sent from my LG-K330 using the BariatricPal App

How many carbs are you getting? I know this may sound blasphemous, but if you don't get enough of them, it will cause problems too. Cue the Oracles in 3,2,1...

Man, I am getting frustrated. I'm getting 60-80 grams of Protein a day and 64+ ounces of fluids. I keep losing muscle. I workout most days with a total gym, free weights, exercise bike and a simply fit board. I have 125 pounds on a hand truck and I've noticed that it is getting really tough to get it up steps. In general I feel weaker. I've always been strong just by working and now with working out I'm struggling. Unfortunately I can't afford a personal trainer at the moment or I would be going that direction. Any suggestions?

I agree with the others; the type of exercises and the actual regimen could definitely impact muscle gain or loss. Are you working at 10reps max? Muscle strength and definition is achieved through overloading beyond current capability. Where do you notice the muscle loss? Gastrocs? Quads? Or uppers?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

It is hard to say where I'm losing muscle mass from as I'm toning up quite well in my legs and arms. I feel as though my core muscles are the biggest problem because I definitely have a curved upper spine and I have been wearing a brace to correct it. Thinking about it, I have been wearing the brace about a month and I was ok a month ago and have been gradually declining since so I believe that I'm not using my "old" muscle like I used to and I need to develop new muscle.

I've been averaging 750-800 calories, 25-30 carbs and 60-80 Protein a day. I haven't been eating more because I really didn't want to go to 5 meals a day. Yesterday I got 1133 calories, 39 carbs and 103 protein. I will do this for a few weeks and see how I'm doing. Thanks again everyone!

Low weight / high rep will not result in strengthening, but it will train for stamina. The only way to add strength is through muscular overload AND caloric surplus. You are not going to be able to do that yet.

Take your time and focus on the weight loss and establishing good habits. You've got the rest of your life to do this!

Sent from my phone. Please forgive brevity and spelling.

As far as the exercise reps, I have been doing low weight, and a fair amount of reps.

This is what I was told to do. I can easily lift up to 120 lbs with one hand, but I was told to do curls with 20 lbs for now, with lots of reps to tone things up. If you don't like to run, but feel the need to build your stamina, there is always this.

post-305822-0-80487800-1481993417_thumb.jpg

As far as the exercise reps, I have been doing low weight, and a fair amount of reps.

This is what I was told to do. I can easily lift up to 120 lbs with one hand, but I was told to do curls with 20 lbs for now, with lots of reps to tone things up. If you don't like to run, but feel the need to build your stamina, there is always this.

That bear is much faster than I am! I'm definitely not a runner. That bear would be bleeding profusely from acute lead poisoning before I would be moving.

Low weight / high rep will not result in strengthening, but it will train for stamina. The only way to add strength is through muscular overload AND caloric surplus. You are not going to be able to do that yet.

Take your time and focus on the weight loss and establishing good habits. You've got the rest of your life to do this!

Sent from my phone. Please forgive brevity and spelling.

I definitely have the rest of my life to lose weight and I'm doing well. Unfortunately I have a job that has to be done. I'm quite concerned that in two more weeks I will be unable to get up those steps. I will definitely increase my weight lifting!

That bear is much faster than I am! I'm definitely not a runner. That bear would be bleeding profusely from acute lead poisoning before I would be moving.

My EDC is a .45 ACP, but I would be hesitant to shoot a bear with it - unless, of course, there were no other choices. All you really need though, is a .22 LR if you have someone else with you. You just have to kneecap them, and then slowly walk away. :P

My EDC is a .45 ACP, but I would be hesitant to shoot a bear with it - unless, of course, there were no other choices. All you really need though, is a .22 LR if you have someone else with you. You just have to kneecap them, and then slowly walk away. :P

You only have to be faster than the slowest guy!

@@LittleBill Have you been shooting since wls? I had a problem with the fine muscles in my arms. I started using one of those grip thingies and it definitely helped but I'm nowhere near as accurate as I was.