Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op coffee question

My pre-op diet starts tomorrow and was given guidelines of 2-3 Protein Shakes and 1 small meal (protein+veggies) each day. I know we have no caffeine, no carbonation, etc. I plan to mostly drink Decaf tea which is my normal anyway but I do like my morning coffee. If I have decaf coffee, what about sugar free Creamer? I usually use Sugar free coffee mate, my first reaction is I should cut that off but I know that it may be the one thing a day I will struggle with most. I am thinking maybe pour my decaf coffee into a warmed vanilla/chocolate Protein shake? Just wondering what others have done to curb that coffee craving as I know I will have one and I want to be prepared.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I treat myself to a cup of Earl Gray tea everyday and use Premiere Vanilla, but remember I am 10 months post op. I drink coffee, and what @@Djmohr wrote seems pretty common around here, whether people put it in coffee or tea, decaffeinated too.

I start my morning - since my pre-op - with Decaf coffee and premier Protein chocolate shake.

I do 50/50. 11oz shake with an 11 ounce cup of decaf.

Lately - to get my holiday peppermint mocha fix - I've been adding a drop of peppermint extract.

But literally a drop - that sh*t is strong.

I use GENEPRO unflavored Protein powder in my coffee every day. It is a WIN WIN for me. I love love my coffee and GENEPRO has 30 grams of Protein in a Tablespoon. Now I know some peeps don't think GENEPRO has 30grams but I love it, as I am 3 years out and still struggle with getting all of my protein in. Good Luck

I never stopped drinking coffee. I get Migraines if I don't have coffee and, in fact, got a bad Migraine while in the hospital! My son had a coffee waiting for me when he picked me up at the hospital. I am not in any way suggesting that you do as I did but I did and still do drink coffee.

I love my caffeine. But when I was approaching the pre-op diet, I switched to half caf, and then to Decaf, and drank it black just to be sure. I have a story behind that, but I won't tell it now. I had a couple of headaches, but within a couple of weeks post op, I was back to my caffeine habit with no issues at all.

I am glad I saw this post. I have no problem with switching to Decaf it's the question about the sugar free creamer that I was also wondering about. Good luck to you. I start my pre op diet on Wednesday.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, unfortunately black coffee is not my thing, I'm going to try mixing the Decaf with the Protein shakes instead of the sugar free creamer as I think that is better overall. I ordered my favorite coffee brand in decaf from Amazon since I couldn't find it in a store, thank goodness for quick prime shipping lol

love love my coffee, currently drinking half Decaf and regular. Will switch to full decaf for my 2 wee pre and post op but then its back to maybe half of each or fully caffeinated I don't mind decaf But the flavor just isn't the same! I tried the vanilla Protein shake as a creamer yuk! Now looking to see if coffee Mate makes no fat or sugarless Italian Sweet Cream or maybe just black I usually am a one or two cups a day drinker. Any other ideas? ☺

Well, now don't do as I do but...I measured out my SWEET CREAM and my Half and Half. Make my espresso and the total calories are 140. I also add a Tablespoon of GENEPRO. So my total Protein is drum roll!!! 34grams of Protein. So again it is a win- win for me because I would drink my coffee anyhow.

love love my coffee, currently drinking half Decaf and regular. Will switch to full decaf for my 2 wee pre and post op but then its back to maybe half of each or fully caffeinated I don't mind decaf But the flavor just isn't the same! I tried the vanilla Protein shake as a creamer yuk! Now looking to see if coffee Mate makes no fat or sugarless Italian Sweet Cream or maybe just black I usually am a one or two cups a day drinker. Any other ideas? ☺

I used the premier protien carmel shake in my coffee this am. Its not bad.

Sent from my SM-T377P using the BariatricPal App