Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Personal trainer

Now that I think of it, I think as a kid I could do about a half of one chin-up. But not even an inch pull-up.

That's awesome!!! And thanks for the answer on pull-up vs chin-up. I think they would use different muscles then, right?

@BigViffer

Well... sorta. Pretty mush all of the same muscles are involved, it is just to what degree they are working the hardest. With the chin-up, the biceps, forearms, and latissimus are the muscles that are doing the most work. With the pull-up the trapezius and the deltoids are working the hardest. But all of those muscles are needed to do either movement.

fd63ae4e9e6b34b9200eb8ca7f760c41.png

It is amazing the difference pronation vs supination of the hand makes!

@@LittleBill

Again I am entertained and find laughter in your story! It's funny how all us WLS people find ourselves entering Gym-land and initially feeling strange. I always feel weird when I am on a cardio machine and right next to me is a 20something year old, 115 lb young lady fully tones running at about 30 MPH. Oh well, I figure that in a year or so MAYBE I can run half that fast. ;)

I have to laugh at the remarks about trainers and other people who help us being half our age. My husband and I are always remarking at how, seemingly suddenly our doctors, kids teachers, lawyers, and most of the work force looks to be young enough to be our kids. It's just weird going the the doctor and having him be half my age.

I was at a retail store yesterday Christmas shopping in the mall. There is a new store call "Buckle" and I wandered in really not knowing what I was looking for. A young man, could not have been more than 22, asked to help me. He was the most polite, helpful salesperson I've ever run into. I was impressed so much by his service that I wrote an email to his boss. I am a huge sucker for manners and showing respect, regardless of age.

Thank you. I appreciate manners too, and when I encounter young'uns who insist on calling me by my first name when they are the same age as my children, I remind them - sometimes forcefully - that as far as they are concerned, my first name is Mister. But the ones who are respectful, like this trainer, are asked to call me by my given name.

I was back at the gym today, and sort of in a fog looking for the one machine I was supposed to do some reps on. All of a sudden he was standing there next to me asking what I needed help with. We had a nice conversation for a few minutes, he pointed out the machine, and then went back to what he was doing. I really appreciate that.

That's awesome!!! And thanks for the answer on pull-up vs chin-up. I think they would use different muscles then, right?

@BigViffer

Well... sorta. Pretty mush all of the same muscles are involved, it is just to what degree they are working the hardest. With the chin-up, the biceps, forearms, and latissimus are the muscles that are doing the most work. With the pull-up the trapezius and the deltoids are working the hardest. But all of those muscles are needed to do either movement.

fd63ae4e9e6b34b9200eb8ca7f760c41.png

It is amazing the difference pronation vs supination of the hand makes!

Cool! Thanks for the graphic! I love what I learn here. :)

Love the gym stories....lol.

Just joined a new gym yesterday, and will start on the treadmill on Monday.

I have to wait another week before any lifting....

Really looking forward to it.

The gym I joined is a lot of older folk... so no meatheads...lol.

They are already trying to get me to do a 45 minute spinning class....lol.

Not quite ready for that.... good times.

Love the gym stories....lol.

Just joined a new gym yesterday, and will start on the treadmill on Monday.

I have to wait another week before any lifting....

Really looking forward to it.

The gym I joined is a lot of older folk... so no meatheads...lol.

They are already trying to get me to do a 45 minute spinning class....lol.

Not quite ready for that.... good times.

The only spinning involved with me goes on in my head if I push my reps too hard. I am thinking it is either low BP or low sugar. (I was going to abbreviate that as BS, but everyone knows I don't have low BS). :P