Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve Over Lap Band?

My surgeon put it this way. "We will do whatever surgery you want. Just so you know, we are taking out more lap bands than we are putting in now, most of them being revised to sleeves."

Lap band is less "permanent", but from my point of view, would not be as effective in reducing ghrelin, or the volume of my stomach. The sleeve keeps everything in the proper order, so I went with that. I don't need people opening me up any more than is absolutely necessary.

Thanks for the input guys....

To be honest...when I decided to do the surgery I didn't even consider the sleeve.

I thought of the gastic bypass, and it kinda made me nervous... cutting out part of your stomach...lol.

I wish I would have found this site 3 months ago instead of post op.

But.... the band is in, and I have to work with the band tolose my weight.

All good.

I will just have to be one of those success stories we read on the Lap Band pages....lol.

Have A Great Day!!!!

That choice worked for you and if you are doing great...YAY...either way..band,bypass or sleeve..WELCOME TO THE LOSERS CORNER!!!!

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App

@@jimmc77 this site started as a site for lapband patients (pre-post). Given the growth in other surgical options this site expand.

Had lapband surgery 10/12/16

Actually after talking to an honest surgeon...lol..... he said alot of surgeons don't push the lap band anymore because of the follow up care and it takes money out of their pocket, and their time.

Made me feel better about my decision.

He said if you don't like the lap band it can be reversed.... but if the sleeve doesn't work, you can replace 80% of your stomach.

He also said.... all are good... if they work...lol.

Good Times.

Hi Guys...

Just wondering why so many chose the sleeve over a lap band?

Lap band seems less evasive and can be reversed.

Sleeve is permanent and obviously more can go wrong.

I just trying a lap band first would be a better option.

Just looking for some feedback as to why you chose what you chose.

Thanks Guys.... :)

Jim

Jim, I admit I've not read any of the comments following this inquiry, but allow me to share my story with you... if it doesn't dissuade you from the band, I'll at least know I tried.

I had the band installed 8 1/2 years ago, by a surgeon who was such a quack that he lost his practice thanks to multiple malpractice suits. I had no idea how bad the guy was and honestly didn't care all that much going in - the band was going to work, and that's what mattered to me. Then, I had it installed...

I didn't lose weight on anything near what was considered a normal scale or time frame. When others who'd had it done in my peer group had dropped 50, 75 pounds in six months, I'd dropped 30. I was constantly vomiting (one meal in three), feeling like I'd developed a knot at the top of my stomach. I asked the doctor to check the band, presuming something had gone wrong - he refused, saying it was "just taking me longer than normal" and showing no concern over symptoms that had developed.

Eight months post-op, my insurance carrier changed, to one that provided no form of bariatric care whatsoever. From January 2009 to August 2016, I never so much as saw a bariatric care provider. I gained back all the weight I'd lost, and an additional 30 pounds along with it. I still hurled up roughly one meal in three, felt no restriction from the band itself, but felt a constant pressure on my stomach, my lungs and my diaphragm, making it harder and harder to breathe.

Upon resuming bariatric care, my new doctor immediately conducted the tests I had clamored for eight years before - to find that the band, while performing its function, was now doing it in the wrong place, creating a small pouch *above* my stomach rather than in it.

Five days ago, the band was removed in favor of a Duodenal switch. Also removed was a large amount of scar tissue caused by the band - and what my surgeon described as a "pretty bad" Hiatal hernia, perhaps not caused but definitely exacerbated by the band.

Every single one of the symptoms I had been having? Gone. No pressure on my stomach. No difficulty breathing. Today I made more trips up and down the stairs of my home than I had on any single day in the past decade. And every single one of those symptoms I attribute, in some form or fashion, to my decision to have a LapBand installed. It was literally the worst decision of my life, and I've made some Whoppers.

Edited by Mac the Knife

Hi Guys...

Just wondering why so many chose the sleeve over a lap band?

Lap band seems less evasive and can be reversed.

Sleeve is permanent and obviously more can go wrong.

I just trying a lap band first would be a better option.

Just looking for some feedback as to why you chose what you chose.

Thanks Guys.... :)

Jim

Both of the surgeons I consulted prior to having my sleeve surgery said they chose to no longer perform lap band surgery.

Therefore, it wasn't much of an option for me as both of these surgeons had been highly recommended by my other physicians and I was going with one or the other.

14 months later I will say that I have been very, very pleased with my sleeve at each step of the way. I'm very confident that I chose the correct surgery for me.

I personally opted for RNY, simply because it suited my needs better. I am psyched mentally for it and my body is ready for the change. Due to my co-morbodities, RNY would offer exactly what I needed out of the surgery.