Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Which Holiday Treats Do You Have at Parties?

Whether you Celebrate Christmas, Hanukah, New Year’s, another holiday, or no official winter holiday…you are almost certain to find yourself at a holiday party, special lunch or dinner, or within reach of some tempting, delicious food.< /p>

How do you handle it?

Do you bring your own healthy options? For example, you could always be sure to bring a green salad with some chicken, Beans, or other Protein to parties and potlucks, or you could bring your own Protein Bar or some nuts or cheese to nibble on while others are hitting the fried and battered appetizers.< /p>

Also, do you save “room” for a treat? There are some holiday foods that you might not want to pass up because you look forward to them all year. Maybe it’s that bite of sausage stuffing or your aunt’s special Christmas Cookies, for example. Do you allow yourself a bite (or maybe a full serving)?

So, what is your holiday party and event strategy?

I just went to my companies office party Friday night. There was food everywhere! But luckily for me, there were some heathy options. So I ended up having a little plate of appetizers: Shrimp, roasted red bell pepper, cheese, and even a sliced of grilled portabella! I splurged and had a glass of dry white wine, and sipped it all night.

I hosted thanksgiving this year at my place. After only being 2 months out everyone thought I was crazy to host since I wouldn't be able to eat. But I didn't care I wanted my family to just have a good time. So I made turkey, mash potatoes, stuffing, corn, carrots and everyone else brought some side dishes and a lot of dessert. I still was able to eat a few pieces of turkey and some green bean casserole. For desert I waited 3 hours after my meal and ate a very tiny piece of pumpkin pie and worked my way around the crust.

So, what is your holiday party and event strategy?

I eat what I want to eat (within the limits of not eating stuff that makes me feel queasy, e. g. ice cream) and the limit will be stomach capacity, not some arbitrary calorie, fat or carb limit.

I remember holding myself back and restraining myself from eating the stuff I'd like to eat because I "shouldn't be eating it", sometimes even bringing some special food with me. No more of this. These days are over. I want to be one of the normal people, well kind of - I don't eat meat so that usually makes me the weirdo of the group.

I'm done with being a diet zealot though. That's what made and kept me fat.

I eat what i know i can in moderation.... like every other day.

I always lose weight during the holidays and vacations. I become super aware of my eating.

At a party, i take a small plate and only put one of what ever i can eat.... this way i get the taste of it with out over eating.