Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Post: Are there any other military wives going through this process?

I was wondering if there are any other Women married to someone in the military? My husband is Currently stationed in Colorado and I'm going through the required process now in order to be sleeved hopefully end of February beginning of march. Just curious about any other experiences and results. Thanks for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hi. I am a military wife stationed in GA. I had my sleeve on dec 6th. To be honest with you, Tricare made it way too fast. I thought it was gonna take for ever but in 2 1/2 months I was apporved with a surgery date. Of course that depends on if you did efforts to lose weight before, and if you have no conditions at all. I was healthy, just fat. I tried on my own and with the wellnes center and nothing worked for me. Is a painful but a great experience. I'm able to feel how liquids are going down my throat to my stomach. For me is really interesting. Any questions you have, I can help you. But before everything start, try toncut down fast foods, fried foods, pastas and bread so it wont be so hard.

SW: 265

CW: 244

Edited by Polarbearwifey

Yes, stationed in VA. Waiting to get a call for a surgery date.

I'm going through the process right now. Tricare Standard. Have to do a 6 month nutrition plan and some tests. Hoping to have surgery in April or May. Stationed at Fort Lewis WA

Sent from my SM-N920T using the BariatricPal App

I'm going through the process right now. Tricare Standard. Have to do a 6 month nutrition plan and some tests. Hoping to have surgery in April or May. Stationed at Fort Lewis WA

Are you doing it at Madigan?? I will be heading down for a preop soon.....looking for a peek at the preop diet

Sent from my SM-G930V using the BariatricPal App

Are you doing it at Madigan?? I will be heading down for a preop soon.....looking for a peek at the preop diet

Sent from my SM-G930V using the BariatricPal App

I wish since we live right by Madigan. But we have Tricare standard so I go off post.

Military spouse here !

I'm on prime and I went to the base dr she gave me a referral and also had me meet with a nutritionist right away- that's best because it counts as your first diet visit -

From what my surgeon said tricare likes to see 90 days of supervised diets for easy approval so I saw them twice and then had my surgery four days ago - I would reccommend loosing weight in the process

SW:265

Month one: 253

Month two: 241

Surgery morning: 223

So we are currently at Fort Carson and since there is a bariatric program in place here at the hospital I don't need to have anything approved through tricare which is nice. They have a minimum of 3 months process here and I'm currently balls deep in all my nutrition, wellness, and psych appointments. @laurato if you could have switched to prime you could have gone through the bariatric program they have at Madigan. We just moved here from Lewis end of June. My surgeon also said that they work hand and hand with the other bariatric programs at other MTF's so that we can make sure to have consistent care afterwards.

Edited by DC6064

So we are currently at Fort Carson and since there is a bariatric program in place here at the hospital I don't need to have anything approved through tricare which is nice. They have a minimum of 3 months process here and I'm currently balls deep in all my nutrition, wellness, and psych appointments. @laurato if you could have switched to prime you could have gone through the bariatric program they have at Madigan. We just moved here from Lewis end of June. My surgeon also said that they work hand and hand with the other bariatric programs at other MTF's so that we can make sure to have consistent care afterwards.

Since I've already started the process with a surgeon off post, would I even be able to switch at this point? I have already done my EKG, blood work, psych evaluation, and I have my stomach scope tomorrow morning. Don't want to have to start over, but it would be nice to go to Madigan and not my current hospital which is 35 min away

"Polarbearwifey" But before everything start, try toncut down fast foods, fried foods, pastas and bread so it wont be so hard.

We don't generally eat like that so hopefully we will be good and not missing things too much. I am more nervous about the liquid portion because let's be real mentally you see just liquids and think you're going to starve to death lol!!!

Since I've already started the process with a surgeon off post, would I even be able to switch at this point? I have already done my EKG, blood work, psych evaluation, and I have my stomach scope tomorrow morning. Don't want to have to start over, but it would be nice to go to Madigan and not my current hospital which is 35 min away

I would call the bariatric clinic at madigan and ask them about it. It's possible that you have already met the requirements or are close to them. Here we have to have 3 nutrition appts, 3 wellness center appts, 3 psych appts, 1 surgery orientation, and 1 bariatric support group. It sounds like a lot, but I got my referral last month and have already done the orientation, support group, and the first appointments for psych,wellness,and nutrition. I also have a 2 year old and have been able to get them all done fairly easily. What hospital are you supposed to have it at, if you aren't having it at madigan?

I would call the bariatric clinic at madigan and ask them about it. It's possible that you have already met the requirements or are close to them. Here we have to have 3 nutrition appts, 3 wellness center appts, 3 psych appts, 1 surgery orientation, and 1 bariatric support group. It sounds like a lot, but I got my referral last month and have already done the orientation, support group, and the first appointments for psych,wellness,and nutrition. I also have a 2 year old and have been able to get them all done fairly easily. What hospital are you supposed to have it at, if you aren't having it at madigan?

I go to CHI Franciscan in Federal Way. I'm going to call Madigan now and ask if it would even be worth it

I'm hoping that's how it will work for me. I'm doing mine through the Naval hospital so hopefully my records will transfer being we aren't Navy. I'll make sure to get a copy just in case. I sometimes wonder if it would've been easier doing it through a civilian provider but it seems pretty close to the same. I was only required my initial group meeting, a few meetings with surgeon, psych, EKG, swallow test and 2 nut appts. Took approximately 6 months. Now just waiting for the call for my surgery date.