Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

i need help. my surgery is 12/19 but i am thinking of post op. here are a few of my q's...any help would be great!

1) what is the pain like?

2) does the stomach hurt or just incisions?

3) how do u not get dehydrated?

4) can my 2 pitbulls jump on me? they love to play & lay ontop me

5) how many days after surgery can i not drive for?

6) does the weight come off rt away?

7) what is recovery like?

8) can i sleep on my stomach? or will it be painful?

9) what is the post op diet like?

10) is it true my hair will fall out?

ok, enough for now...lol

Sent from my iPhone

I am also preop, but I do have LapBand. My revision other rny is 12/15, so I'm right ahead of you.

I can't answer all these but I'll weigh in on a few.

#3. Sip, sip, sip. All that you can. My group preaches liquid first then Protein

#4. No. Keep them off for a while.

#5. My group says when you are off pain meds and feel like it.

#8. If you are comfortable that way, go for it but watch your drains. You don't want those pulled out. My group recommends sleeping in a recliner or propped up on pillows.

#9. I am very concerned that you are this close, and this hasn't been explained to you. I had to attend a nutrition class all about this, go to a support group meeting where this was discussed, was given a binder with all the details spelled out, and I have already had one nurse call going over it again to make sure I'm aware. Your surgeon and dietician may have a slightly different regime than mine, but basically, you will be on liquids (VERY small quantities over time) on day one then progress to full liquids, again, over time. Eventually purees, then mushy, then soft, and so on. It's way to much detail to respond to in a single comment.

#10. Probably. Shock to your body from surgery. It will grow back, though. If you search, there was a recent post explaining some of the science behind it.

Best of luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using the BariatricPal App

thanks so much for the responses. are u currently doing the preop liquid diet? how long have u had lapband? does it work? dont be concerned-i was told about the post op diet but i am seeing so many other post op diets on here that differ from mine. i do need to find that post bc i love my long thick hair. keep im touch, i'd like to know how u r doing. u r so close! warm wishes!

Sent from my iPhone

1) the pain for me wasn't too bad. I mean I definitely noticed it when I got to recovery...but in my drugged state I was able to ask for drugs and by the time I was awake enough to know what was going on they had kicked in. For the most part it just feels really sore. Nothing unbearable.

2) it was mostly just my incisions that hurt. Didn't really feel much on the inside.

3) to be completely honest I'm 3 weeks out and have yet to get the proper amount of Water in. I feel like as long as you drink a good amount you should be fine. But I'm definitely still working up to it, as you probably should too once you're post op. I've heard some crazy things about dehydration after!

4)I definitely wouldn't recommend it! I have a lot of little kids/babies in my family and I had to kind of keep my distance from them. I'm normally the fun one they liked to jump all over but I knew it would end up hurting myself if I tried to play.

5) I drove about 2 days after I got home and I regretted it. While I could do it I felt different for sure. I would wait at least a week if not 2 if you can!

6) it all depends on the person. I know a lot of people experience quite a lot of swelling and sometimes even gain weight due to that. I lost 6lbs the first week then only 2 the week after. Everyone is different when it comes to weightloss.

7) it literally gets better every day! As long as you take it easy and follow you're surgeons directions you will be fine!

8) I myself am also a stomach sleeper and was soooo sad when I wasn't able to. I felt way too bloated and it actually hurt. Some people however are able to do it even days after the surgery. It took me about 2 weeks to be able to sleep on my stomach comfortably. Even still I have to keep a pillow under my one incision that's still a little tender.

9) the diet usually goes in stages. In the hospital I was in Clear Liquids only but once I was released i was on full liquids. 2 weeks later when I saw my surgeon he put me on pureed foods. I see him again this Thursday so hopefully after that I'll be on soft foods. From then on I'm pretty sure it's all trial and error with what you can tolerate as well as just trying to maintain your weight.

10) I have head stories of people experiencing hair loss. It has yet to happen to me, but as a precaution I was advised to take Biotin.

I hope this helps!!! Good luck with everything! And trust me you'll be fine! It'll all be well worth it!

Sent from my SM-G935T using the BariatricPal App

Thanks. Yes, we should keep in touch.

Yes, Im on day 6 of my liquid preop diet. We are allowed full liquids on days 1-9 and Clear Liquids only on day 10.

I have had lapband for 7.5 years. It worked pretty well in the beginning. I lost 65 and maintained around a 55-60 pound loss for three years until I had my daughter. I had a complete unfil with pregnancy (I have hyperemesis) and haven't tolerated much fill since then. Also, my thyroid went kaput, so it's been a tough road and I've gained it almost all back, thus the revision to RNY. It was wondeful though because without it, I'm certain I wouldn't have been able to get pregnant.

And I'm glad you have the post op diet instructions. Yes, programs vary, and mine is very strict, but they also have an extremely low rate of any type of problems post op. They have had 0% return hospitalizations or er trips in the past several years. I credit that to the very conservative program. I'll take conservative if it means safer results!

raechel--thank u for ur response & time to answer each q. im going to listen to everything u wrote. it def helps. i cant wait for the end result---and to be happy!! ty again!

Sent from my iPhone

i need help. my surgery is 12/19 but i am thinking of post op. here are a few of my q's...any help would be great!

Mine was not to bad compared with other surgeries I've had. Bad the first day, but I didn't need pain meds after day 1 (I am unusual)

Stomach definitely hurts.

3) how do u not get dehydrated? Sip sip sip. Popcicles, ice chips, warm Water goes down much easier...I heated everything for the first few weeks

No, definitely not

I'd wait at least a week

That is individual, but with Iva and swelling you are pumped full of Water

I walked a lot on the first day and after. I think it helped and I actually went apple picking on day 5 I started my Vitamin Patches on my prep diet and wore them in the hospital

Not for the first week or so. I was sleeping on my side with a pillow to support my tummy day 5 and a few days later was on my tummy

Full liquids a couple of weeks, then soft/purees/ then solids

It could. That is individual. Mine did post band, but filled back in. The Hair loss is not permanent

ok, enough for now...lol

Sent from my iPhone

Pain range from person to person. So all can tell you about my pain is, it was of a soar pain, but I got up several times to go to the restroom and took a few walks around the nurses station, because I want to go home. And the pain was well enough for me deal with it. The incisions were sore, but bearable for me, and the pain in my stomach was bearable as well. You can get dehydrate, but to prevent, Water Water water.

Excuse My FRENCH - HELL NO

LET THIS SIT BY YOU BUT NOT ON YOU

You'll be healed enough soon and can do that later. If it was me I'd wait at least 6 months before letting them lay on you, remember your insides are still healing.

I suggest waiting at least 2 weeks/14 days

The dropping off the weight varies from person to person and the type of procedure they had. My recovery took me about 2 weeks. I'd recommend not sleeping on your stomach for about 4-6 weeks.

liquid Diet first 2 weeks after surgery

Next 2 weeks after that puréed food

Next week after that soft foods

I can't say, because I don't remember that happened when I had the band done and really don't expect it will happen to me this go round either, but several says it happens

I Hope My Answered based on my experience HELPS YOU

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using the BariatricPal App

3) how do u not get dehydrated?

ok, enough for now...lol

Sent from my iPhone

1) I had morphine in the hospital and went home with codeine, I would say I had almost no pain

2) Later I developed stomach pain, but I think it is stomach acid, trying different meds from my surgeon, zero incision pain

3) sip, sip all day long, I am thirsty and cold Water goes down good, you may have to try different things like room temp Water or flavored water

4) I would say no, they are heavy, I am almost 6 weeks out and still don't even want tight pants on my stomach

5) most surgeons say you can drive after a week as long as you are not on pain meds for at least 24 hours

6) it depends, you are full of fluids from the surgery for a while so most people don't lose much the first couple of weeks, after that there are a lot of variables, people who start at 400 will lose much faster than people who start in the low 200's, and weight loss will be fast the first few months but then slow down drastically

7) most people recover quickly, go back to work at 2 weeks, etc, but my recovery has been really slow

8) no way could I sleep on my stomach the first 3 or 4 weeks but some people do, we have a bed that sits up and that still feels best to me, although by week 5 or so I could sleep on my side, I still don't get on my stomach

9) your surgeon will tell you what to eat, most people do Clear liquids for a while, then full liquids, then pureed foods, etc, by 5 or 6 weeks out most people can eat almost anything, I am the exception, eating again has been very difficult for me, I don't know how most people eat what they do so soon after surgery, like I said I am working with my surgeon to figure out why

10) many people do have moderate Hair loss 3 or 4 months out, they SAY if you keep up with your Protein and Vitamins it MAY help you keep you hair, since I have struggled to get that stuff down I am pretty sure I will lose a lot, but it does grow back

It's so different for everyone. I never even felt like I had surgery. The only pain I had was when they took the drain tube out before I was released. And that was more weird vs pain.

I just sipped out of the little cups, but they had me on IV the entire time I was in the hospital.

I have two pit bulls... they stayed close :) and laid on me same as before.

I had my surgery Thursday, released sat afternoon. Drove Sunday.

Weight recovery is different for everyone. I had RNY so my weight came off pretty fast.. I slept on my stomach. I am losing a TON of hair

Sent from my SM-G925V using the BariatricPal App