Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am a teacher and on-air FM radio personality in my mid-30s from south Texas. I found BariatricPal on a Google search for Bariatric compression pants pulled up a forum post from this site.

I am 5 months post-op, and am doing absolutely magnificent. I now recommend Bariatric surgery for anyone who asks me about it, of course after asking the "qualifying questions" first (i.e. Are you morbidly obese? Do you have high blood pressure? How about sleep apnea? Diabetes?)

I got weight loss surgery because I've been a big dude my entire life. The last time my family remembers me being "thin" was age 7. Post-30 years old, I got sick and had to go to the doctor. I had the shock of my life when I was told I was over 450 pounds, and approaching 460. I had no clue I was that heavy because I had nowhere to weigh myself, and was in complete denial. After that, I started pursuing Bariatric surgery.

I had pursued it before, a few years earlier. That was how I found out I had sleep apnea, because that surgeon required a sleep study. However, I felt like chattel being run through a cookie cutter system, and I didn't like that, so I stopped seeing that doctor and let it go for a couple years.

When I found the surgeon I eventually used, everything changed. I felt like a person, not just a file. I felt like he was actually catering my program for my specific needs, not trying to fit me into a pre-prepared program.

I had my surgery on July 5, 2016, one day after Independence Day. I am now independent, and not a slave to my body or my weight. I have lost 145 pounds total, 101 of those pounds was lost after surgery. I am now 313 and much happier with myself. I am only 57 pounds away from my year goal, which is 7 months from now. I have already hit my 6 month goal 1 month early.

The best part of the process is seeing the looks on people's faces (especially my students) when I tell them about how much weight I've lost and just the overall feeling better and being able to move a lot better than I have in years. The pain that I have felt in my knees has gone completely and the pain in my back has diminished (will not ever completely go away due to scoliosis).

The worst part has already passed, and every day is getting better. The worst part was the 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after surgery, when the intense diets were. The shake replacements were absolutely the worst part, because for me, they really didn't taste good with anything. I am getting my Protein now through bars, which, oddly enough, taste better than the shakes, and eating a lot more meat than I'm used to for all my meals.

I hope to benefit from BariatricPal because I live in a rural area with no access to surgery support groups less than an hour's drive from my town. I can't afford to drive that far weekly, and I'm hoping BariatricPal can help with that.

All in all, I'm happy with how things have gone. I'm looking forward to what my life will bring, and I'm extremely happy already. I can't wait for the rest of my life.

Thomas you rock! Congratulations on your success! God bless you always ❤️️

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Thomas you rock! Congratulations on your success! God bless you always

Thank you so much! With His help, I know that I will continue to be successful.

Thomas you rock! Congratulations on your success! God bless you always

Thank you so much! With His help, I know that I will continue to be successful.

Yes! Amen!

Thomas, first welcome to a great place to give and receive information!! Also support. I have a Support Group locally but...it just wasn't something I needed to hear!! They sat around telling what they could eat (not always on plan) and get away with. I have enough problems with my choices I just didn't need someone else talking about their bad choices all the time. You have done very well on your journey. KEEP ON KEEPING ON!!!

Just a quick note to let everyone know that I am down to 299 as of this morning!

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

Don't get discouraged, Patty. Just a hiccup in the road. You are already doing awesome!

Quick note that I weighed in at 289 this morning!

Thomas that's awesome and congratulations! You are an inspiration to many and the fact that you share your story is bound to help someone else. I am gastric by-pass post-op 9 days and down 32 pounds. 17 since surgery. I too live in Texas! Been here almost 3 years and I love it! [emoji4]

Thank you so much Mickie and congratulations to you also! That's already a major improvement and I'm sure you feel tons better already!

Sent from my SM-G920V using BariatricPal mobile app

Summer is almost here, so this high school teacher is almost done with work for a bit. Thought I'd give you guys an update.

Almost 11 months post-op. Here are my latest numbers:

Starting weight (March 17, 2016): 458 lbs.

Surgical Weight (July 5, 2016): 414 lbs.

Current Weight (May 27, 2017): 264 lbs.!!!!!!!!!

I feel better than I have in a long time. I reached my personal goal of 265 which is high school marching band weight. I'm eating right and running/walking on a normal basis.

I even signed up for my first 5k this summer. I'm not too worried about it, because my normal workout routine consists of way over 3.11 miles. Plus the route has great scenery.

I constantly get bombarded with questions about the surgery. My answer is the same: RNY Gastric Bypass Surgery saved my life. Plain and simple.

Sent from my SM-G920V using BariatricPal mobile app

Thomas, this is FANTASTIC! Your story is an inspiration to me because my HW was 430 SW 386 CW 379, I am 9 days post op RNY. It's been hard to find stories of people who were in the same weight category . Keep up the good work! Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my SM-N910T using BariatricPal mobile app

Thomas and wynellgray, My hubby weighed over 500#'s. Way back 17 years ago. He presued WLS back in 2000. His Surgeon convinced him that he needed the Lap Band. He lost 100#'s but had nothing but problems with it. In Sept 2013 he went in for a revision to the RNY. The band had eroded into his Liver so they removed his band and gallbladder then told him in 3 months after he healed they would do his RNY. He ended up with abcesses and was deathly sick for 9 months. (3 of them he doesn't even remember!! So after that he found out he has Cancer in his Kidney (which Tuesday he goes in for a ebalsion to kill the Cancer. He weighed to much for them to do anything, this was a huge reason that he needed to lose more weight. Fast forward to June of 2016. We went to Mexico and again they gtried to do the RNY not happening!! His total eft side was solid scar tissue!! So he got the Sleeve!! Now he has lost 135#'s. We are so excited!! Like I said earlier he gets his Cancer zapped like popcorn in the microwave. LOL That is what his Dr said. thought it was a great metaphor. Any how I wanted to share some of his walks in the fast lane. Both of you KEEP ON KEEPING ON!!!