Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi there,

During our class the nutritionist told us that carbonated drinks, can expand the pouch...

IT takes 21 days to get rid of a habit.. Lets do it together. :)

I started on liquids today. :)

Sandy

Hi there,

During our class the nutritionist told us that carbonated drinks, can expand the pouch...

IT takes 21 days to get rid of a habit.. Lets do it together. :)

I started on liquids today. :)

Sandy

First of all, a sleeve is not a pouch. Second, carbonation does not stretch the sleeve. That's a myth. I drink carbonation and at over 2 years out, I have the same restriction I've had for a year. My surgeon and many others agree that a sleeve will not necessarily 'stretch'.

And to the original question, no, you should not drink Coke, because Coke is filled with empty calories, which by far is worse than carbonation and the number one reason people regain. So there's that.

Thank you for that very instructional post, not sure why you thought you had to school me on carbonation. I'm just looking to encourage and be encouraged not be drilled down like you did.

Thanks anyways. Have a nice one.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Thank you for that very instructional post, not sure why you thought you had to school me on carbonation. I'm just looking to encourage and be encouraged not be drilled down like you did.

She was trying to educate you and anyone else who sees this because you were giving out inaccurate information.

i don't think she was trying to drill U down at all but just trying to have people see the truth. Tone is something that cannot be read through someone typing. Maybe you kid understood lots of luck.

*mis not kid

They say for the first 6 months to not drink it, but three nutritionist, who was very down to earth said..we are all human n it you set it out to get flat then have your taste..who wants to do that..They are just fearful of the air bubbles in your stomach could be painful n produce extra acids( uncomfortable feeling)...you may not want it as much as you think you do..:D..We'll get through this..I loved my mountain dews but not as much crave since the Nov 9th sleeve..Good luck on your journey!!!

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App

Let's not start this. You weren't 'schooled' or 'drilled down', @@Babbs corrected misinformation, period.

Soda, any carbonation hurt my stomach. Anything with a fizz. I kept trying (a little sip) now and then, it would just hurt and I found it wasn't worth it.

If you find yourself craving...try shaking until the soda is flat. I did this with a bottle of 7up after I came down with the flu.

HW: 280lbs

Day of surgery : 256lbs

In two days it will be 9 months: 170lbs.

Best of luck and best wishes!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using the BariatricPal App

sleeve is not a pouch. - carbonation does not stretch the sleeve. That's a myth. I drink carbonation and at over 2 years out, I have the same restriction I've had for a year. My surgeon and many others agree that a sleeve will not necessarily 'stretch'.

@@Babbs @@sandra_dee

from an old vet,(me) to a new vet (@@Babbs)

thanx for always giving great advice, suggestions, comments

you are always a wealth of info for newbies et al

keep those answers coming!!!

now can i or can i not have pizza 3 days PO? :lol:

@@Babbs - huggggggs

kathy

Let's not start this. You weren't 'schooled' or 'drilled down', @@Babbs corrected misinformation, period.

Not starting anything, just thought it was a bit harsh. My opinion. Thanks.

I'm not trying to piss anyone off. However, I think that the well educated and experienced like Babbs should be less impulsive. Maybe I misunderstood her tone.

I'm here to make friends and be corrected( I'm ok with that). I'm very new to this!!

Some advice from someone who's been on the internet practically since Al Gore invented it (that's a joke).

Don't try to read "tone" into online postings. When you do, it's more about the voices in your head and your attitude than the intent of the person who actually wrote it.

We get a lot of people on here who have been given incorrect information, and we try to set it straight when we see it. I'm a nurse, and my nurse educator hat is on constantly when I'm on this board.

It's not a slam, or a lecture, or a "dressing down". It's sharing information, and trying to make sure the information out there is correct.

A LOT of people keep calling the sleeve a "pouch" and while it seems like it doesn't matter, there are structural differences between the two. A pouch with a bypass is left with more of the stretchy tissue that can expand and stretch. A sleeve procedure cuts away most of the really stretchy tissue from the stomach, what is left will have some stretch, but nothing like an original stomach.

A LOT of people have been given scare tactic information about carbonation, saying it will burst your sleeve (or pouch) or stretch it and make the surgery useless. I don't know as much about the pouch structure as the sleeve since I had the sleeve surgery, but I do know that the sleeves don't stretch much if at all. And carbonation will not burst the sleeve or stretch it. AT ALL.

As for the soda question:

Carbonation, especially early on, can make you bloody miserable. Some people never are able to tolerate carbonation.

Then there's the empty calories if it's a sugared drink, which IMNSHO should be treated like candy. Once you're in maintenance you can probably do it occasionally if you budget the calories, but even then there's no nutritional value.

And there's plenty of evidence that sugar free drinks drive hunger and cravings, so they're not a great option either, but better than full sugar if you just have to have a soda and the carbonation won't make you miserable.

I'm not trying to piss anyone off. However, I think that the well educated and experienced like Babbs should be less impulsive. Maybe I misunderstood her tone.

I'm here to make friends and be corrected( I'm ok with that). I'm very new to this!!

yes I think you're misunderstanding her tone because I don't find anything impulsive about answering a question truthfully impulsive to me is going from reading a book to hey!! let's go jump off a bridge into the river LOL so no I don't find it impulsive her putting her input on a subject. But I think you mis understood completely and maybe read into it too much. Hope you have a wonderful day and lots of luck on ur journey!! nothing but peace and guidance!!