Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Over emotional and regretting surgery?

I got my gastric sleeve done on November 9th, 2016, and I'm going crazy.

I've found myself so overly emotional since surgery, crying at happy things, and sad things. Maybe somebody compliments me, maybe someone questions my choices, and BAM, I'm sobbing. I feel emotionally stable in the general terms of things, like, I'm good man. But every day I'm finding myself crying or angry about random things. Is this normal? Is this something other people go through after surgery? let me know!!

REGRET. The day before my surgery, my boyfriend asked me if I was sure this is what I wanted to do, if this is where I wanted to take my life. I said yes. I've been avoiding talking to anybody I know about my experiences because I don't want them to be all like "told ya" or just being like "you made a mistake" type comments. I've been feeling so upset about surgery and what I've been through.

Let me be clear, I know that in the long run, I am not going to regret this choice. but as of right now, this sucks. I caught a cold like, two days after surgery. My provider(s) told me that they didn't want me to take any over the counter medications for it for one reason or another. so I just had to sit in hell. I got really dehydrated and all my skin is dry. it's not fun.

I'm regretting this surgery due to things that I HOPE are a little more common in post-op. Please let me know if I'm the only one feeling this sort of regret. or any advice you may have in order to help me out.

I have been easy to cry too! I can barely look at Facebook without seeing some cute story and just sobbing. But, after two years without a period (due to birth control), I started bleeding the day after surgery. So I assume my moodiness is related to some kind of PMS hormone thing that will balance out. I cried a lot easier before birth control, and this feels like a return to that. I think it's pretty normal!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Anesthesia can really mess up people's emotions and it can stay in your system for longer than just when you were put out. Also having MAJOR surgery is STRESSFUL! Anytime you put major stress on yourself you will become more emotional. Your surgery really wasn't that long ago! You still need to give your body and mind time to heal.

You should go back to normal as everything settles down. I am sorry you do not have more support around you! We are here for you though!

Hormones dumping out of your fat as you loose weight can do some crazy stuff. I've had to keep that in mind when dealing with customers, my employees, my son and when I started getting jumpy with my sweetie.

During the fastest weight loss pre- and the first month post-op, I bled constantly...and I have a Mirena, so I hadn't bled in years. The hormone dump was severe. However, by six weeks when my loss had more or less evened out, I had stopped and everything was back to normal.

Sent from my SM-G925V using the BariatricPal App

I am in my 3rd week post op and my emotions are cray also. I am insta-snappy as of late and i really hafta be aware &practice muuuch stress relief bc im also a caregiver. Not easy.

What i feel is happening to me...food isn't there as my buffer anymore. Used to be if I was in a icky mood, go cook something cool &all is well. If i was tired &didn't wanna cook, order a fav pizza...bored? Have a snack.... All that's gone now. The adjustment is brutal! Im praying its all worth it &i don't fail at this...

Sent from my LGMS330 using the BariatricPal App

Fat stores estrogen, and as we lose weight it dumps into our systems. Being overly emotional is at least partially hormonal, and it will go away. You've also dramatically lessened your intake and your body needs to adjust, and it causes fatigue which can worsen emotionality. Your body has endured a trauma in the form of surgery, and is trying to heal.

None of this is easy. Some people have easy and fast recoveries, others not so much. It's hard, and it sucks, but for most people it resolves and most of us get over the regret and embrace our new lives.

Remember to breathe, focus on fluids and Protein so your body can heal, and be gracious to yourself. It will get better.

I was a hot mess the first two weeks from surgery. Commercials were making me bawl. It gets better. Like others have said, the anesthesia and hormones from your fat really flood your system. It feels almost out of control. I promise it gets better. Just hang in there, day by day. Sometimes you have to go hour by hour or even minute to minute.

I felt crazy for the first month or so after surgery, and for the first couple of weeks I felt full of regrets and asking why did I do this to myself??? I think it's totally normal, from reading others experiences. This life change is not easy, but I swear once you start seeing and feeling the benefits you will change your tune. Give your body some time to adjust, to the hormones dumping and the anesthesia to work it's way out of your system. And in the meantime talk to people as much as you can. This place is a great resource for help and reassurance. Just know that this feeling is temporary and fleeting. You will feel better soon, once you start feeling normal again. Best of luck!!

Sent from my SM-G930P using the BariatricPal App

I've been posting things like "What a beautiful day!" and "Today is a great day! :D :D :D :D :D :D " and my family is wondering if I've been replaced by a pod person.

Before I even clicked on the post, I KNEW you were a newer post op.

99% of people feel a touch of regret at first when things are hurting, uncomfortable, you can barely eat, drink, you're worried about the future, and your hormones are going nuts.

It's a small, small piece of time in the grand scheme of things, you'll see. Just like having a newborn baby. The time flies so fast, you can't even remember them that small anymore ;)