Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are pros and cons?!

Dear ALL,

This is my first day on this nice forum.

I knew about the sleeve surgery from my wife's cousin who was 160kg 3yrs ago and now he around 100kg. His wife, daughter, and finally son went through the same surgery.

What I always hear about is that gastric sleeve is a bit new surgery and no many statistics are there.

When I browsed the "Research and Results" forum, I can notice that discussions there are pessimistic than the case here. On this forum, members are very positive!

I'm currently 140kg and suffering from high blood pressure. I am almost decided to do my surgery within the next few weeks, just doing some checks now.

Can you brief me on the main pros/cons of the sleeve surgery??

Thanks and I hope that I'd take the right decision.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Best decision I ever made. I was skeptical even during the process of being approved. My favorite part is that it works but my choices determine my success.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I can only speak for myself, but it's the best decision I've made. I wish I had done the sleeve 10 years ago.

The first few days post op have some soreness, but very doable! I'm five weeks out, back at the gym for cardio and able to do more than I could even before surgery (and I lost 50 pounds pre-op). It's always a personal decision to go forward with surgery, but for me it was definitely the right thing to do. Hope this helps and good luck.

Pros;

I've lost 75 pounds since August.

My blood pressure has gone from 160/110 with a heart rate in the mid 80's to 110/80 with a heart rate in the mid to upper 60's.

I went from a tight 3xl, loose 4xl shirt to a very loose 2xl, snug xl shirt. I went from 38 jeans to 32 jeans.

Certain body parts are larger and more usable :)

My wife can put her arms all of the way around me.

I look better,

I feel much better,

Cons;

My upper back was killing me from posture change. It turns out that I have kyphosis (I'm a hunchback) and I will most likely have to buy a brace to help me out.

I'm freaking cold! I was more bundled up last night to go to a parade in 45 degree weather than I was when I used to ride snowmobiles!

I will never do the 6 pound burrito challenge at my local Mexican restaurant. Hmmm, maybe that isn't a con...

Pros - seriously, too many to list. Don't think this server could hold them all. Highlights include normal BP, no more back and knee pain, keeping up with two grandkids, shopping in any store I want, crossing my legs, not sweating and getting out of breath with physical exertion, being a productive member of society, and a wonderful, renewed sex life with DH of 38 years (it's fun being his new "trophy wife" ).

Cons - I lose money at All You Can Eat Buffets.

Pros:

-Removes a large part of Ghrelin (hormone that stimulates hunger). While I may still feel hungry off and on, the cravings have subsided, and therefore, it's easier to choose healthier nutritious food when I get hungry.

-Stomach is smaller so less food satisfies me. It's functionality is the same as before surgery, just the capacity has changed.

-Dumping is rare since the pylorus remains intact.

-Can tolerate any foods I ate pre-surgery, just a smaller portion.

-Doesn't decrease the absorption of nutrients.

Cons:

-Surgery is irreversible (although a common fear is that we may stretch it out to pre-surgery size lol).

*I do not regret it. I'm very happy with results, and how I feel.

:))

Nice and funny pros/cons

How long guys your are now post-op??

6 years

I am happy now but it took 15 weeks to get happy. From week 6-14 I was super nauseous all day ( zofran didn't help at all) and probably ate 200 calories a day . I very much regretted it. But happily I am better now. Good luck