Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kicking Sweets..

Hello everyone!

I've seen the NUT and had my consultation with my surgeon. I have to lose 10 pounds in order to have surgery. Not quite sure of my surgery date yet. My psych appt isn't until mid January. After that appt my paperwork can be sent to insurance for approval, then I can have surgery.

My biggest problem is my love of sweets.

Does anyone has some good tips/advice to kick the sweets habit?

Any input is appreciated. TIA

Sent from my VS995 using the BariatricPal App

Unfortunately the best way is to just stop eating them. Once you get over the hump of withdrawl, the cravings go away. I have to withdraw from them every once in a while when I indulge too much. It sucks.

I find many of the foods allowed to be very sweet, though sugar free

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I find many of the foods allowed to be very sweet, though sugar free

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

It only took me a few weeks to mostly use the unflavored Protein Powder. I do have a shake made with 4oz of raw juice a scoop unflavored Protein powder, a cup of ice and a dash of stevia.

My go-to dessert when I just need something is Emerald Nuts cacao almonds 100-calorie snack packs.

They are delicious with a great crunch and feel decadent. 100 calories (obviously) and 7 grams of Protein.

Sent from my SM-G925V using the BariatricPal App

Post surgery, many people develop an aversion to sweet things. My jaws clench at the thought of a cupcake. I just... cannot do it. It's like pouring a bunch of sugar in my mouth. Presurgery, some tactics like sugarfree gum, popsicles or candy (but be careful because a lot of sugar free stuff has maltitol in it which has a laxative effect).

The only thing that works for me is detoxing from them and then avoiding. If I eat sweets, I will crave them and dealing with the cravings are much worse that simply avoiding them altogether.

The thing that did it for me was the pre op liquid diet. Once I got off the sweets I did not care about them.

I have since let small amounts back in and have to be very careful. My sweet of choice is dark chocolate.

My go-to dessert when I just need something is Emerald Nuts cacao almonds 100-calorie snack packs.

They are delicious with a great crunch and feel decadent. 100 calories (obviously) and 7 grams of Protein.

Those are the bomb! So good!

You have great advice here. The only thing I will add is to watch out for sugar free junk food. (No nutritional value).

Artificial sweeteners like acesulfame-potassium (in virtually every diet pop and many sugar free products) cause a noticeable spike in insulin. If you are insulin resistant (very likely if you are overweight) this will only compound the problem.

Saccharin (sweet and low, pink packets) will also compound problems with blood sugar regulation.

Xylitol and maltitol (sugar alcohols) cause gastrointestinal distress for many people (Google "Amazon reviews Haribo sugar free Gummy bears" for some very entertaining recaps).

Powedered Splenda is usually blended with maltodextrin, which also causes raised blood sugar and insulin spikes. Ditto for powdered stevia.

liquid splend and stevia are your best best, but good luck finding packaged junk food that contains those relatively expensive formulations.

The bottom line is that there are multitudes of ways these frankenfood products can be thwarting our best efforts. The simplest and cheapest way is to just cut them out. Deal with the cravings short term (buy some L Glutamine supplement to help, if necessary) and suffer through. You'll be better off long term.

Edited by Hammer_Down

Thank you for all of the suggestions. I'm not a fan of popsicles or Jello, so I know I won't be reaching for those in place of something sweet. I have tried sugar free in the past and the artificial sweeteners don't work too well with my stomach. My guess is just giving them up will be what I need to do. I have time before I go on the pre surgery liquid diet so I will use this time to wein myself off of sweets. My first step is just not bringing them into the house. The hardest part right now is that I enjoy making Christmas candy, but I know I can't make it and then not eat it! So, better to avoid all together for me.

They sound good!

Post surgery, many people develop an aversion to sweet things. My jaws clench at the thought of a cupcake. I just... cannot do it. It's like pouring a bunch of sugar in my mouth. Presurgery, some tactics like sugarfree gum, popsicles or candy (but be careful because a lot of sugar free stuff has maltitol in it which has a laxative effect).

I am hoping I am one of those that develop an aversion!

I plan on being sweet free by surgery, so I may not be interested anyway.

The only thing that works for me is detoxing from them and then avoiding. If I eat sweets, I will crave them and dealing with the cravings are much worse that simply avoiding them altogether.

The thing that did it for me was the pre op liquid diet. Once I got off the sweets I did not care about them.

I have since let small amounts back in and have to be very careful. My sweet of choice is dark chocolate.

I am thinking detoxing is the way for me to go also.

You have great advice here. The only thing I will add is to watch out for sugar free junk food. (No nutritional value).

Artificial sweeteners like acesulfame-potassium (in virtually every diet pop and many sugar free products) cause a noticeable spike in insulin. If you are insulin resistant (very likely if you are overweight) this will only compound the problem.

Saccharin (sweet and low, pink packets) will also compound problems with blood sugar regulation.

Xylitol and maltitol (sugar alcohols) cause gastrointestinal distress for many people (Google "Amazon reviews Haribo sugar free Gummy bears" for some very entertaining recaps).

Powedered Splenda is usually blended with maltodextrin, which also causes raised blood sugar and insulin spikes. Ditto for powdered stevia.

liquid splend and stevia are your best best, but good luck finding packaged junk food that contains those relatively expensive formulations.

The bottom line is that there are multitudes of ways these frankenfood products can be thwarting our best efforts. The simplest and cheapest way is to just cut them out. Deal with the cravings short term (buy some L Glutamine supplement to help, if necessary) and suffer through. You'll be better off long term.

Thanks for the insight into all the different sugar substitutes.

There aren't many sugar free products I like.

I do drink one glass of crystal light energy drink then the rest of the day is Water for me.

I'm not a fan of diet soda at all. I used to drink coke all the time, but I stopped buying soda. Now, I get it as a treat if I eat out, then only one glass.