Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

can you get thin from plication or average weight?

hi there,

firstly, thank you to everyone for sharing your experiences and being a source of a lot of good information for me. it has been extremely helpful.

i am debating between the vsg and plication, leaning towards plication as it is cheaper, and less recovery time (i am a mom of little ones and will paying).

my bmi is 34 and i would like to lose about 80 lbs, getting down to a bmi of around 121.

is that unrealistic? is it possible to do get such results with the plication?

It's a tool. It's not going to do the work for you.

How about just saying "If I get to a healthy weight, I'd be happy" and not setting such a specific goal? Does that mean if you lost 60 or 70 pounds you'de feel like a failure?

Any WLS will take you so far, but you've got to really do the work to achieve your ultimate goals. You get you put into it, whether it be band, VSG, RNY, balloon or plication.

DelilahK I made the decision for the plication partly because of the reasons you mentioned.`I am the caregiver for a handicapped spouse and did not have a way to manage a long recovery, especially for something that others would not feel necessary and thus not step up to help out. I was also self pay. In fact I went to Mexico. I am very happy with my choice. Of course I am in my 60's and and am happy being a little bit heavier than I would have at a younger age. I lost 60lbs and have maintained that loss for over a year with no problem. I watch what I eat of course and exercise. I see no reason why, had I wished to that I could not have lost another 20lbs putting me at an 80lb loss which is what you were mentioning. If you have not yet made a decision look at some of the English WLS sites. Plication is far more popular there than it is here and many seem to find it a good alternative to VSG. Good luck whatever you choose.

You will get what you put into it, but that would be from any weight loss surgery. If you are thinking that WLS will be a solution to being overweight, you're going to be sadly disappointed. The weight will come off with any WLS, but there is only so much surgery alone can do for you. The honeymoon period after WLS is gone very quickly and you will be able to gain weight back if you are not making everlasting changes. My advice is to make big changes to your diet and lifestyle in conjunction with WLS to achieve the results you want. Being healthy is a way better goal than a number on the scale. Good luck to you.

You will get what you put into it, but that would be from any weight loss surgery. If you are thinking that WLS will be a solution to being overweight, you're going to be sadly disappointed. The weight will come off with any WLS, but there is only so much surgery alone can do for you. The honeymoon period after WLS is gone very quickly and you will be able to gain weight back if you are not making everlasting changes. My advice is to make big changes to your diet and lifestyle in conjunction with WLS to achieve the results you want. Being healthy is a way better goal than a number on the scale. Good luck to you.

You know I was sad all day long after my brother comes and speak exactly like you and he told me if yoy don't change your food habits ..do physical activity and go to nutrionist give it 6 months before take the easy way ..I cried my heart out today but you are right guys.

Sent from my SM-G955F using BariatricPal mobile app