Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie with PCOS looking for a Mentor/Buddy

Hello everyone.

I'm a newbie on this portal. I've had PCOS for about 16 years with horrible menstrual cycles and every bad side effect. My menstrual cycle took the worst turn last year when I had bleeding for 9 months non-stop. Yes, 9 whole months. I visited and changed several gynecologist but every single one wanted me to go on birth control pills, which I was totally against, the reason being I gained close to 88 lbs in a year after I took birth control pills (for a year).

Finally, after long research, I found my current gynecologist (my guardian angel) who took care of my situation but still insisted that I loose as much weight as possible. I tried, I tried real hard but only lost 1-2 lbs a month and would gain that back again in the next month. My gynecologist suggested about undergoing a VSG about 2 years back, but I kept postponing the idea of a surgery due to financial issues. She has put me on a combination of Metformin tablets (I take 2X500mg tablets on a daily basis) and Meprate 10 tablet which I am suppose to take from the 16th day (after my periods have stopped). This combination worked like a charm and I started having regular periods (5 days flow), but after 6 months when I visited my gynecologist she said that she did not want me anymore on Meprate and I had to make a lifestyle change if I wanted to be healthy. My BP now reads 140 and I am close to becoming a diabetic.

So finally I decided to undergo the VSG. I am scheduled for the surgery on Dec 26 (or 27). I like the bariatric surgeon who will be performing the surgery, he is a reputed doctor from UK and I will be undergoing the surgery in Bangalore, India (as I reside here). I have heard a lot about people supporting each other via support groups, hence when I was searching for one I came across this portal.

I know I'm definitely going to need some support, someone to talk to who can relate to the day to day challenges of the post-op lifestyle.

If there is anyone who wants to be a mentor or buddy please let me know.

I'm currently 251 lbs and I know it's a long road to reach my goal weight, but with the assistance of the sleeve and the support of understanding people, I'm sure I can do it. :D

Height: 5 ft 4 inches

Current Weight: 251 lbs

Goal Weight: 165 lbs

I also need assistance with finding a good Protein Shake. I found many mixed review about ON whey Protein Isolate and Compound and many other brands and was not sure which would be good for me pre and post surgery. Can someone suggest me a good Protein shake brand that will be good for me and will be easily available in India? I will have to get on the protein shake diet from next week onwards.

Hello everyone.

I'm a newbie on this portal. I've had PCOS for about 16 years with horrible menstrual cycles and every bad side effect. My menstrual cycle took the worst turn last year when I had bleeding for 9 months non-stop. Yes, 9 whole months. I visited and changed several gynecologist but every single one wanted me to go on birth control pills, which I was totally against, the reason being I gained close to 88 lbs in a year after I took birth control pills (for a year).

Finally, after long research, I found my current gynecologist (my guardian angel) who took care of my situation but still insisted that I loose as much weight as possible. I tried, I tried real hard but only lost 1-2 lbs a month and would gain that back again in the next month. My gynecologist suggested about undergoing a VSG about 2 years back, but I kept postponing the idea of a surgery due to financial issues. She has put me on a combination of Metformin tablets (I take 2X500mg tablets on a daily basis) and Meprate 10 tablet which I am suppose to take from the 16th day (after my periods have stopped). This combination worked like a charm and I started having regular periods (5 days flow), but after 6 months when I visited my gynecologist she said that she did not want me anymore on Meprate and I had to make a lifestyle change if I wanted to be healthy. My BP now reads 140 and I am close to becoming a diabetic.

So finally I decided to undergo the VSG. I am scheduled for the surgery on Dec 26 (or 27). I like the bariatric surgeon who will be performing the surgery, he is a reputed doctor from UK and I will be undergoing the surgery in Bangalore, India (as I reside here). I have heard a lot about people supporting each other via support groups, hence when I was searching for one I came across this portal.

I know I'm definitely going to need some support, someone to talk to who can relate to the day to day challenges of the post-op lifestyle.

I'm currently 251 lbs and I know it's a long road to reach my goal weight, but with the assistance of the sleeve and the support of understanding people, I'm sure I can do it. :D

I also need assistance with finding a good Protein shake. I found many mixed review about ON Whey Protein Isolate and Compound and many other brands and was not sure which would be good for me pre and post surgery. Can someone suggest me a good Protein Shake brand that will be good for me and will be easily available in India? I will have to get on the protein shake diet from next week onwards.

Wishing you all of the best. I have PCOS as well but my periods are actually pretty normal with some unexpected spotting but the infertility at one point was my biggest challenge. Now being older and not wanting kids at this age becomes another worry for me after surgery. I'm having mine 2/6/2017

Please post before and after photos!! Best wishes dear!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hi Dani :)

As mentioned earlier my periods started on the 2nd day after the surgery and luckily this time it lasted for only 6 days (I had taken a course of Mephrate, a week prior to surgery).

I had to deal with dual pain after the surgery - my stomach had some pain, which I was able to deal with but it was my abdominal cramps that were killing me. I went through 5 days of torture only because of periods.

Regarding surgery pain, thanks to my new pal Carrie who had advised that I walk, walk and walk as soon as possible to ease the pain and she was right. Walking did help a lot.

I am doing well in terms of being active and I do very little pain in my stomach. I have started working on the elliptical since Monday for about a minute and half a day. I've not started exercising yet.

If I sleep I tend to sleep a lot, real sound sleep but most of the times I try to stay up.

Coming to the surgery incisions, last Friday my doctor removed the sutures and I've been bathing every alternate day.

In terms of diet, I am off liquids since Monday and have started eating soft foods (most of which I prepare at home). As you had mentioned in one of your posts, I too started to dislike chicken after the surgery (strange). I tried some fish yesterday but threw up.

I take in two spoons of GNC Protein (lean shake) everyday morning with milk apart from that I kind of dislike drinking Water. I don't know why.

My surgery weight was 238 pounds and last week (4 days after surgery) I was 229 pounds and oddly this week I am between 228 and 229 pounds.

We always wanted to be a child-free couple (had agreed to this before our wedding), so my biggest challenge is to work my way through PCOS. Although, we do have a 5.5 year old furbaby, who keeps me on my toes :D

All the very best for your surgery. I pray to God that he gives you lot of strength before, during and after the surgery.

Regards,

TJ

Edited by up4challenge

I'm a newbie looking for a buddy too! I don't know anymore who has had/is having surgery and it's so hard! I also have pcos so we def. have that in common! If you ever need/ want to talk message me on here or add me on FB! Www.facebook.com/AlyPeace13

Hi Aly,

My main reason for the VSG was PCOS. A year ago I was bleeding for 9 straight months. I did try several gynecologists and different types of treatments, nothing helped. Finally I met my current doctor who suggested the VSG to get the extra weight off and lead a better life.

Thanks to PCOS apart from my weight, my blood pressure had reached 160.

Deciding to go ahead with the VSG for me was a very hard decision as I had to pay for the surgery from my pocket. I am a freelancer and I don't make much. So the thoughts of using my credit card and paying them back was very scary. However, I could not take the thought of having any more prolonged periods and buying new clothes (feeling embarrassed when they don't fit), jumping from store to store to find my size of clothing, feeling tired all the time, etc., hence took the bold decision of going ahead with the surgery.

My doctor did not put me on any diet but I still followed the liquid diet for 2 weeks and 1 week clear diet before the surgery.

I was very tensed on the surgery day. Woke up at 5 am and had bath using the anti-bacterial cleanse and was anxiously waiting to be moved into the OT, which was at 7 am and there I lay waiting for my doctor for 1 hour (who got delayed due to some other patient). Trust me the one hour was crazy, had multiple thoughts of getting up and running away from the OT :D. Once I saw my doctor, I felt relieved. He introduced me to the team who were to assist him during the surgery and I felt only a little relieved. All I know is when the anesthesiologist told me to inhale and relax and then next minute when I opened my eyes I was in the ICU with severe nausea feeling. They had kept me there for observation purposes) and shifted me to my ward after about 3 hours of under ICU observation.

I woke up about 6 hours after the surgery, but was heavily sedated, did not feel much pain after the surgery except I had severe nausea and vomiting. The nausea, vomiting continued on the second day too and as Carrie had suggested I tried my best to start walking since the second day onwards. 50 steps every 2 hours. Pain was not much compared to the pain induced due to nausea and vomiting. My mom was there all the while to assist me, so things were smoother.

Day 3 : 2 days after the surgery, I did 100 steps every 2 hours and felt less pain, and continued being on clear liquid diet.

Day 4: 3 days after the surgery, feels good to be back home. Still on liquid diet.< /p>

The only de-motivating factor was that I reached home 2 days after surgery and my period started. So my daily walk had reduced from 100 steps to 50 steps every 2 hours, since I have severe abdominal pain as well. One of my friend's (whom I met here on this site) had suggested that I walk, walk and walk and it really helped me.

Today, I am 11 days out of surgery and doing well in terms of being active and I do have very little pain in my stomach. I have started working on the elliptical since Monday for about a minute and half a day. I've not started exercising yet.

If I sleep I tend to sleep a lot, real sound sleep but most of the times I try to stay up.

I am very happy that this time my periods stopped at the 6th day, probably because I did take the hormone table given by my gynecologist a week before the surgery. At times I stress out thinking what course my next period will take.

In terms of diet, I am off liquids since this Monday and have started eating soft foods (most of which I prepare at home). I dislike eating chicken after the surgery (strange). I tried some fish yesterday but threw up.

I take in two spoons of GNC Protein (lean shake) everyday morning with milk apart from that I kind of dislike drinking Water. I don't know why.

My surgery weight was 238 pounds and last week (4 days after surgery) I was 229 pounds and oddly this week I am between 228 and 229 pounds. I am not losing weight. I checked with my physician and he says it is good to lose weight slowly that at one shot. But I am stressing out.

Coming to the surgery incisions, last Friday my doctor removed the sutures and I've been bathing every alternate day. I have 4 incisions out of which all 3 look good (they are healing), except the one in my belly button, it kinda freaks me.

Please stay positive and keep telling yourself why you have chosen to opt for this surgery. Things will be better when you feel better. I pray to God that he gives you lots and lots of strength before, during and after the surgery.

Regards,

TJ

Edited by up4challenge

Thank you so much! It sounds like you've been through A lot. But it also sounds like you're getting through it! I know everyone is different with how they handle what. But it's scary to know that all of your eating is going to change in one go. Especially for people who are addicted to food, like I am. I am much heavier than you and have a long way to go. But I'm proud of how far you have come! I was going to ask about periods after because I also have horrible period pains. Ibuprofen is usually the only thing that helps me. And I have to take a lot of it. But I know after u have surgery you're not allowed to take any pain relievers. And I know I'm going to be in misery! Honestly sometimes I wish I could just wake up and be normal lol!

Stop worrying. Stay positive and think of how healthy your life will be after the surgery. Stay strong! All the best :).

Hi All,

Wishing you and your family a very happy and prosperous New Year ahead with great success, new heights and good health :).

Stop worrying. Stay positive and think of how healthy your life will be after the surgery. Stay strong! All the best :).

Hi. I have PCOS as well. I don't have a child yet, I had a sleeve done 12/22/16 as part of my journey to have a child. This has been life changing. My PCOS has caused sporadic periods, weight gain and a host of metabolism issues.

My doctor suggested this surgery as he thought it was detrimental to my health to have a child with my health conditions.

I'm happy I had this surgery. My surgery weight was 304 I'm now 294. I'm still very nervous about the weight loss. I see so many success stories just wondering when I will see the weight shift. I'm on soft foods, much of it I prepare myself. I haven't been able to drink 64 ounces of Water, but able to get Protein in through my shake.

Still learning a lot, but looking forward to the journey. Feel free to drop me a line at any time here buddie!

Newimage2017 I'm Wanting to have the surgery for the same reason. I was trying to have kids for over 2 years till I decided it just wasn't going to happen that way. So I'm having the surgery in hopes of having a baby of my own soon! How is everything with your surgery going?

Hey! I feel you. I was diagnosed with pcos a few months ago after we tried to get preggo with no luck. Its actually the main reason behind me doing the sleeve on jan 5, 2017. Best of luck on your journey!

@@jenjoon Thank you for the best wishes. Hope you are doing well after your surgery.

Hello everyone.

I'm currently 251 lbs and I know it's a long road to reach my goal weight, but with the assistance of the sleeve and the support of understanding people, I'm sure I can do it.

I also need assistance with finding a good Protein shake. I found many mixed review about ON whey Protein Isolate and Compound and many other brands and was not sure which would be good for me pre and post surgery. Can someone suggest me a good Protein Shake brand that will be good for me and will be easily available in India? I will have to get on the Protein Shake diet from next week onwards.

Oh my goodness! You are the British me!! I'm Heather. I'm 5'4" and was sleeved on 12/29/16 at 253 lbs. I am currently at 226 lbs and progressing nicely. PCOS is my struggle as well. I have been on spironolactone for symptoms for the past 10 years. I am 100 lbs down from my heaviest of 327 lbs (lap band that I had removed at my sleeve on 12/29). As I lose, my PCOS symptoms get better, my vision improves, my other medications lessen (but not the spiro for PCOS, unfortunately) and I feel GREAT! I agree with you on NO birth control. I'm 38 and don't want to run the risk of blood clots. I'm not trying to get pregnant so spiro is perfect for me! I find that I have to work harder, eat NO sugar, no carbs, no fruit and workout 6-8 hours per week to have continued success. Since I have been off of sugar and carbs since surgery, I don't have the cravings for them.

I have some definite opinions about Protein shakes. My favorite are the Quest brand of powder. I have one in some variety every morning. I mix with cold coffee for an iced latte or just Water and PB2 for a Peanut Butter shake.

Banded 2010 weight:327
Sleeved 12/28/16 weight:253
CW: 228 GW: 155
Heather in Texas

@hmm33502: How are you doing after the surgery? I've had 2 period cycles after the surgery and so far so good with the flow but the pain still kills me on Day 2 and Day 3.

I have not gone on any medication for PCOS as of now. My doctor wants me to wait for 4-6 months to see what is going on with my health and then take a call. The only worry is my Vitamin D levels, which are very low. I take monthly injections of 6 lakhs units for this.

I will be celebrating a 2 month anniversary on the 17th of this month. Losing weight has been quite challenging for me even now. I've lost about 22 pounds (pre-op to today).