Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band to bypass complications

Hi everyone,

This is my first post! I'm 1/2 way done with my 6 month insurance requirements. I had lapband placed 1/2008 and had zero success. My doctor said he would like to do the sleeve on me but bypass is an option depending on what he finds with scarring. I'm fine with either procedure. My question is what are the possible complications with bypass? The one I'm most curious about is when the intestines wrap around or get tangled. Something about when theY are placed back inside the body they are incased in fat and as you lose weight the intestines become loose as well? Does that sound familiar to anyone? Any information would be great. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by NewChiGirl

I've never heard of that so I'm not much help... Sorry. I can tell you that my surgeon strongly prefers bypass after the band instead of the sleeve because he said band and sleeve both put a lot of pressure on the stomach and if you've already had a surgery with stomach pressure, you're less likely to do well with the same type of restriction.

It took me a long time to decide for sure to do bypass instead of sleeve, but I did because I really trust my surgeon.

Thanks for replying. Did you have any complications? I will speak to him about this.

Thanks for replying. Did you have any complications? I will speak to him about this.

I've had no complications but I'm only 6 days out from RNY ;). I had my band removed in April, my surgeon refuses to do the two surgeries together because the bands create so much scar tissue on the stomach that needs to heal.

The RNY surgery was much less painful than the band placement. I had a 2-day stay in the hospital when I was taking narcotics because they're fun, but since I've been home I've only had OTC liquid Tylenol and honestly, I rarely need it!

Ive had rny in sept 2016. band came out after 8 yrs in February I developed stricture at the point the new stomach meets intestines. This caused severe dehydration and needed Balloon endoscopy 3 sep times along with two hospitalizations. I'm told this only happens in 5% of people.

it's still not fixed. I'm not yet sure of the next step however I know another dialation is in my future. I'm still researching it

Most other people on this forum have not had complications such as mine. Its a risk of any intestinal surgery. Best of luck

Alex Brecher wrote a gastric bypass book which is very helpful. It can be purchased on Amazon

Ive had rny in sept 2016. band came out after 8 yrs in February I developed stricture at the point the new stomach meets intestines. This caused severe dehydration and needed Balloon endoscopy 3 sep times along with two hospitalizations. I'm told this only happens in 5% of people.

it's still not fixed. I'm not yet sure of the next step however I know another dialation is in my future. I'm still researching it

Most other people on this forum have not had complications such as mine. Its a risk of any intestinal surgery. Best of luck

Thanks so much for the feedback! Good luck to you, I hope you get things sorted out.

I've had no complications but I'm only 6 days out from RNY ;). I had my band removed in April, my surgeon refuses to do the two surgeries together because the bands create so much scar tissue on the stomach that needs to heal.

The RNY surgery was much less painful than the band placement. I had a 2-day stay in the hospital when I was taking narcotics because they're fun, but since I've been home I've only had OTC liquid Tylenol and honestly, I rarely need it!

That is awesome! Thanks for the info!

Hi everyone,

This is my first post! I'm 1/2 way done with my 6 month insurance requirements. I had lapband placed 1/2008 and had zero success. My doctor said he would like to do the sleeve on me but bypass is an option depending on what he finds with scarring. I'm fine with either procedure. My question is what are the possible complications with bypass? The one I'm most curious about is when the intestines wrap around or get tangled. Something about when theY are placed back inside the body they are incased in fat and as you lose weight the intestines become loose as well? Does that sound familiar to anyone? Any information would be great. Thanks!!

I'm a little late to this post, but I haven't been on the site in quite some time. My cousin had the issue you are concerned with.......her intestines wrapped and got tangled. She was very sick for a long time, but once they discovered it and she had surgery to repair, she was fine.

Hi everyone,

I'm a little late to this post, but I haven't been on the site in quite some time. My cousin had the issue you are concerned with.......her intestines wrapped and got tangled. She was very sick for a long time, but once they discovered it and she had surgery to repair, she was fine.

Thanks for replying! What kind of symptoms did she have? Is she doing well now?

Hi everyone,

Thanks for replying! What kind of symptoms did she have? Is she doing well now?

I haven't talked to her in a few years. She lives far from me and is actually a cousin through marriage. Anyway.....as I recall, she was very sick, but I don't remember the specifics. But I DO remember that it ended up being the very issue you're concerned about. There is a lot to consider when choosing WLS. I'm agonizing over it myself, because I'm considering a band/plication revision to bypass. I don't know if I will go through with it, but I'm reaching out to everyone I know, including coming back on this site, to get all the info I can. I'm 61 and don't know if putting myself through it is a good choice. Then again, blowing up again and having all the weight related health issues isn't a great thing either! :)