Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling anxious.... advice?

This is my first time on the forum....

I got a lapband 14 yrs ago, never really saw any change. Then about 4 years ago, I lost 100lbs, through diet and exercise. Honestly, never thought I would go back to being heavy again.

But... I changed to a new job I hate and have gained back 60lbs.

My surgery is scheduled for 11/29; my husband thinks I can lose the weight on my own. I feel like I have no will power and just go back to my horrible diet favorites.

Is it really worth all the bad parts (dumping/hair loss/never having chocolate again) of having the gastric bypass??????

This could be the pre-op diet talking (it's hard), but I need some real perspective!

*Me after I lost the weight/and current.

post-306022-14793540879781_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I haven't lost any hair (yet, anyway), dumping is a learning experience that, once you have happen you will never want to have it happen again and chocolate was never my thing. Being able to buy cute clothes and walk 8 or more miles in a day most definitely is worth it.

ETA: It might help to write a list of pros and cons, get your head wrapped around things. But I'm only three months out and have no regrets about doing it.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Edited by emardee

I had issues with gas in the hospital but I am 2.5 months out and feel amazing. You have to remember that this is not a quick fix. This is a life changing thing. I would do it again if I could. I also lost 91 pounds in my own and gained all but 11 back. I hurt my knee and couldn't walk as much and needless to say will power just left. Think hard about it first but if you decide to do it, I think it's worth it. Just research and get all the facts.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using the BariatricPal App

I was "normal" my whole life till I hit 50 yrs old. Then a bunch of things happened, including buying a business where I got to sleep 4 hrs a night. I ballooned to 282 lbs. My only regret about having RNY is that I didn't do it sooner!! I lost very little hair, and what I did lose is back already!! I had dumping but part of it is that a lot of bypass patients become lactose intolerant which played a large part in the dumping. I'm 2 1/2 yrs out and have lost 120 lbs, only 15 to go to MY goal weight but made my drs. months ago. I still have chocolate when I want it, just not every day and have the bite size chocolate bars. I eat normally now, just less and drink my Water. You won't regret it!! (except for the boobs!! I miss those and mine don't look like boobs anymore but just need some money to fix that!!)

Your story is similar to me, (except for lap band part) I have been up and down, now at my heaviest bmi ever (37). My hubby doesn't think the surgery is necessary but I am sick of the up and down and fear the older I get weight will only continue to pack on. I am 37 now and ready for this change. I am scheduled for sleeve in 5 days, I will try to let you know how it goes for me. Good luck, everyone has to choose best option for them. I truly feel I need this for my forever health and my family's health.

Good luck! I am 37 also, and know once you hit 40, it only gets tougher to lose weight.

I think the surgery will be the kick in the butt I need, but nervous about the lifestyle change.

I had a Crap Band for 11 years, revised to bypass 26 months ago. I am thrilled with my choice. I don't think I dump at all. i have had a couple of weird sweating incidents, but that could be hot flashes. I eat chocolate nearly every day (carry dark chocolate in my purse and have a small piece for "dessert"). I did lose hair and that went on for about a year, but then it stopped and my hair has returned to its former glory. Among the things I can now do: Sitting with crossed legs, fitting into an airplane seat comfortably, sitting in the backseat of a van between two car seats :), shopping for "regular" clothes, wearing skinny jeans and boots, wearing yoga pants in public without looking like one of the "people of Walmart". If I could do it on my own, I wouldn't have regained the 90 lbs I lost with the band. I lost 107 within 14 months after the bypass. Have gained 10 back in a year but I am so much more able to keep that from snowballing!