Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drinking alcohol with band

I'm not looking for any judgement so if you're going to leave a rude comment, kindly exit this post. I'm 18 years old and getting banded in a couple months. I don't drink that often but when i do go out with friends we usually drink straight vodka from shot glasses. On an average night i have 8-9 shots since i have a pretty high tolerance. How long after lap band can i drink and when i do drink, how should i go about it? Since i'm not telling anyone about my surgery i don't want it to be obvious.... Again please no judgment, my drinking habits are nothing compared to some people my age and i think it's a genuine concern on how i should handle this responsibly. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm not judging you but this is what I would say to my own almost 18 year old son...if you are questioning this it has nothing to do with weight loss. There is some small voice telling you that there is a problem with drinking like that. It is binge drinking and is a problem not matter how old you are or what your weight issues are.

As you lose weight your tolerance will change. I suggest sipping your shot and sipping a glass of Water. If you try to drink your shot in one gulp it may come up because of your band constriction. Tell your friends your friends you love how beautiful they look and you want to slim down. You are changing your eating so ask for their support of your efforts to lose weight and eat healthier. You don't have to mention the lapband. I don't mention mine.

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

I was just banded yesterday and this was one of the first questions I asked my surgeon. He told me that alcohol is an irritant, but that safely I could probably sip a glass of wine after about 6 weeks. Which is a hell of a long time since my husband and I are normally hosting some kind of party or another. In my own opinion (and take it from someone that likes to drink often) I would take it easy if I were you. Like you, I have chosen to NOT tell the majority of people I know. So if you choose to go out with your friends, you can always get out of drinking by stating that you're not feeling well, and just sip Water and be the DD if necessary. I think your new stomach will thank you for it in the long run :)

Hi, your tolerance to alcohol will decrease; and as you know if you force anything you will throw up. Recently I had a legal issue regarding drinking and driving. So play it cool, and say that your good on the shots / drinks if you don't want anyone to know why. Better safe than sorry. Good luck

My doc told me no alcohol for 1 year. But of course I knew I would not follow that. At 3 weeks out I had 2 glasses of wine and was fine. at 4-5 weeks out I had some mixed drinks with vodka. Yes, as you lose weight your tolerance will lessen and of course if you aren't eating much then you will absorb the alcohol faster. Alcohol is also a blood thinner so in the early stages you do have a slight risk of internal bleeding if things aren't completely healed. For the most part, In all honesty I'm sure you be fine with a few shots. I would just drink them slowly (like as in spaced out) and drink Water in between and just try to be aware if anything feels too 'off'.

FYI - I used to drink beer or 'bombs' (shots with carbonation, usually redbull) with my girlfriends when we go out. I didn't want to tell them about my band yet so last time I went out I just said I wasn't drinking anything carbonated because "it has been giving me heartburn lately". It's not totally a lie because if I even take a sip of something carbonated I get terrible chest pain! :)

Best of luck to you! Enjoy your time and be safe!

Getting banded will be good for you, the more fills you get the less desirable it will be to drink alcohol. I'm not here to judge, so please don't take it that way but you should really stop drinking; that road is going to get rough for you and it's simply not worth the "fun" you think you're having right now. Love yourself more, you deserve it.

I don't see anything wrong with you drinking.... 18 use to be the legal age. I feel, if your old enough to serve your country your old enough to drink.... BUT... do it sensibly and in moderation.... DO NOT DRIVE AFTER!!!! (thats from the mom in me)

I drink now... and if i remember i went out for the first time in May after my Band surg. I don't remember my dr tell me anything about not drinking.

REMEMBER: Where you use to be able to drink 8-9 shots.... you might only be able to do 3-4.... I know this sounds crazy, but it's true..... I use to be able to hang with the big dogs... Now im hanging with the tea-cup poodles..... hehe

My relationship with alcohol since surgery has not changed, although I am not a heavy drinker...just socially, parties, dinner, etc.

With the band however, I have to be careful when drinking beer...don't over do it, and never with food in the stomach - pouch.

I hear a lot of people talk about your tolerance changing...I have not experienced that at all.

I wonder if the majority of people are experiencing this or like most things on this forum, just repeating what others have said.

But bottom line, listen to your Dr.

Gonna be honest when I had my band it didn't change my tolerance at all - though obviously a good idea to eat before going out.

The band doesn't affect your ability to absorb alcohol. I've recently had a band to bypass revision and I understand that this will change my tolerance.

As for drinks, vodka is one of the lowest calorie drinks - maybe mix with a diet soda to reduce the irritant affect on your stomach though? Depends how you do with carbonation mind....

I have a question have you asked your Dr. ? If not please do.... Our bodies responds different to the surgery. So you are running a high risk asking people that took the risk. And that is exactly what they took "a risk" The thing about taking risk is when you have "major" surgery the damage may not show up until months or even years later as a leak. ALL Because you took risk and did not let your stomach heal properly. A leak seem to be a very difficult and painful repair process, if in fact you live through it. Be safe and be wise.

Sent from my SM-J700P using the BariatricPal App