Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Today, I am wondering what I have done to myself

I agree w/ LipstickLady 100% about the flushable hygiene wipes...they are a Godsend.

We simply have too much going on post-op and during the huge learning curves afterwards to deal with such petty distractions.

Tip: Pack a small stack of wipes in a zip-lock baggie to keep in your purse, for when you're out and about.

I speak from experience on the importance of this.

I'm glad to hear you're feeling better. I'm seven years out from the DS and I can tell you, as those who posted before me, it does get better. Follow your doctor's advice. Learn what your body can and cannot handle then push forward from there. I can honestly say 95% of the time I don't feel like I had surgery.

xoxo

bariatricbutterfly

I prefer the butt wipe that contain witch hazel. Soothing but not greasy. Or just dump a bit of witch hazel into the packet of wipes you have. Use the rest of the bottle as a toner for your face.

I had a RNY gastric bypass surgery 3 years ago. It took me 6 months before I reached my happy state when all the problems seemed to melt away. This article may be of help to you. It describes my experience with weight loss surgery. It can be quite overwhelming during the beginning. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery.pdf

Thank you so much for sharing your story! It was wonderful to read!!

I used the phrase "Buyer's Remorse" for the first time in the hospital the night after surgery. I have thought it several times since. The other evening, I sat here determined to eat a small boiled hamburger patty and two scrambled eggs so I could get my Protein target for the day. My husband asked me why I was crying, and I was like if I don't get my 60g of Protein, I will be bald. Bless his heart, he didn't laugh, but calmly reminded me that it has only been two and a half weeks since I had surgery.

I feel your pain hon. Looks like you received a lot of good advice from the many kind replies you have received. If you are still having frequent bowl habits, and you haven't tried a milk alternative, you might. I couldn't stand how almond milk tastes with the post-op milkshakes so I tried soy milk. It is pretty good. I know soy protein isn't the optimal protein for "us", but it beats visiting the bathroom multiple times. I think in time, I will be able to go back to skim milk.

Wishing you a much better 2017!

Theresa

I can send you the eating plan my surgeons and their DS nutrit. distribute for new DSers. Personally, I wouldn't have touched refried Beans at your stage. Way too much for your new system, IMHO. I'll be happy to email it to you if you PM me your email addy . It has sample menus as well.

Sounds like your trying to do too much. 3 Protein shakes a day! I choked down 1. While most say you should be eating (per day): 30 grams/protein in 30 days, 60 grams/protein in 60 days, etc. I never made that. Even with 1 shake a day I was lucky to get in 50 grams/protein at 6 months out. Your stomach just can't handle it right now. You're barely 2 weeks out. You need to remember you have an infant's stomach. Your old one is gone. It's brand new and my surgeon reminded me I need to treat it as such. It also takes time to learn what you can and can't eat and whether that cramp means you really have to 'go'. (Eventually, though, you'll eat pretty much anything. A quick example: for the first month or so, Breakfast was 1 tsp. of scrambled eggs. Now...3 XL scrambled eggs with cream cheese and/or salami, swiss cheese, bacon, etc. While I don't eat it in 1 sitting, I do eat it.)

I also wasn't taking a ton of Vitamins at your stage. You still have stores of them in your system. Take a look at what I'll send you and see what other programs recommend. Hopefully, it'll make things easier and you won't be living in the bathroom (I know what it's like). ;)

This was great advice. I don't know if I asked you this before, but did you have your ds surgery all at once or did they do the sleeve first, then six months later, the ds?

I don't know how I missed this post when it was posted but I am living it now! I am 11 days post op surgery 12/15/16. I feel like I have been on an emotional roller coaster since surgery! My mother had RNY 14 years ago and says this is exactly how she felt. Not much comfort to me lately. I too had "buyers remorse" my 1st night in the hospital. I know i did his for my kids but that doesn't make it any easier not being able to lift or do everything I always did. I think I have better days when my hubby is at work and my kids at day care. Then it's less obvious what I can and can't have or do. I am going to try the RTD premier Protein shakes. It's worth a shot since I can't seem to get the hang of mixing half and powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury.

It's good to know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hi! I'm currently just starting my puréed stage as well. I go back and forth between Constipation and diarrhea, and it really doesn't seem to have any correlation with what I eat. I totally feel your pain. My surgeon has me at 80 grams of Protein a day. For me, that means three premier Protein shakes and whatever other Protein fortified puréed foods I can handle. I had refried Beans for the first time today, and puréed chicken salad. I was able to tolerate both!

I know it's a struggle, but staying away from high fat stuff really helps me. I use non-fat fair life milk, and low fat cheeses in a scrambled egg. Switching to a milk substitute might help too.

I'm so sorry you're struggling but it will get better! I felt similar to you for the first week or so, so I know how bad it feels to feel like you can't do anything. It will get better!

I can send you the eating plan my surgeons and their DS nutrit. distribute for new DSers. Personally, I wouldn't have touched refried Beans at your stage. Way too much for your new system, IMHO. I'll be happy to email it to you if you PM me your email addy . It has sample menus as well.

Sounds like your trying to do too much. 3 Protein shakes a day! I choked down 1. While most say you should be eating (per day): 30 grams/protein in 30 days, 60 grams/protein in 60 days, etc. I never made that. Even with 1 shake a day I was lucky to get in 50 grams/protein at 6 months out. Your stomach just can't handle it right now. You're barely 2 weeks out. You need to remember you have an infant's stomach. Your old one is gone. It's brand new and my surgeon reminded me I need to treat it as such. It also takes time to learn what you can and can't eat and whether that cramp means you really have to 'go'. (Eventually, though, you'll eat pretty much anything. A quick example: for the first month or so, Breakfast was 1 tsp. of scrambled eggs. Now...3 XL scrambled eggs with cream cheese and/or salami, swiss cheese, bacon, etc. While I don't eat it in 1 sitting, I do eat it.)

I also wasn't taking a ton of Vitamins at your stage. You still have stores of them in your system. Take a look at what I'll send you and see what other programs recommend. Hopefully, it'll make things easier and you won't be living in the bathroom (I know what it's like). ;)

This was great advice. I don't know if I asked you this before, but did you have your ds surgery all at once or did they do the sleeve first, then six months later, the ds?
When I had it done, they did many more in 1 surgery. I only knew a couple of people who had it done in 2 surgeries ( and they had very, very high BMIs). Nowadays, it's totally different. More are done in 2 steps. (I was done in a single pricedure).

hello everyone, I am scheduled for a DS with Dr. Metz on Jan 3, 2017. I am so excited and nervous all at the same time. I have been working towards this surgery since Aug of 2015. Is there any quick advice those of you that have had the DS can offer a newbie? :unsure: :rolleyes: also how do you put a ticker on a post, I think that is an awesome way to follow your progress.

I am a former sleeve, just had the SIPS and gallbladder removed 12/16. I'm down 20lbs, but I have major cramping poos every am, massively stinky btw, and I fear I shall never have a solid poo again lol. Other than the morning toilet evacuation cramp fest, I'm doing ok. Still get nausea if I eat too fast or take too big a bite.

So, here's my newbie question of the day. I read with the ds, the passing gas and pooping can stink like something fierce. Is that the only time you stink? Does this surgery make you have a bad odor in general? Also, I'm for the Atkins diet/Keto diet where eating fat isn't a bad thing. Can you eat the fat in sour cream, cream cheese, cheese, etc, or do you have to go fat free because fat signals the dumping syndrome?

And lastly, my doctor mentioned there's a pill to help with the stinkiness of the new ds bowels, has anyone tried that and has it worked?

Only stinky poo, unless there's a hygiene or other issue pre-existing. Remember that fat free usually equals chemical shit storm. Never a good alternative in my book. I tolerate fat ok for now, granted I'm not eating a whole lot of anything, much less high fat items.