Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Losing My Hair

I have always had fine hair, so even a little Hair loss is significant. I started losing my hair *before* I was banded and I now believe it may be because of the beta blockers. I did some research and found they are associated with hair loss, and it was shortly after I started one that my hair started thinning noticeably in front.

Well now, it's thinning at the crown. I feel very distressed by this. I know I'm not eating enough Protein because, honestly, I abhor the Protein shakes. I have WheyPro. Maybe there is something better out there? I mix it with Skim Plus, six packets of Splenda, and sometimes blend it with crushed ice (sometimes just drink it). Either way, it has an awful taste.

I'm eating mushies now and trying to have high protein things like soft poached white fish with very mushy chopped spinach. Anyway, anybody have any recommendations for a good Protein Drink that will be more appealing?

I also take cholysteramine every day, which can result in Vitamin deficiencies and, of course, hair loss. I do take a vitamin supplement each day but I'm wondering if I should take more? I take Women's 1 A Day.

I have always taken great care of my hair (I don't blow dry it, never dye it, etc.) because it has a tendency to break and tangle, being as fine as it is. But now it's looking bedraggled and wispy. Ugh. I even thought about seeing how much it would cost to get a hair weave.

Oh, and I'm no longer taking the beta blocker. I was on a fairly low dose and I'm watching what I eat carefully. It was for very slightly elevated high blood pressure and a non-dangerous arrythmia that annoyed me. I would rather deal with the arrythmia sensation than the hair loss, and my blood pressure has been very normal every time I've had it checked recently, even after stopping the beta blocker. (I think it has to do with the new eating habits.)

Anyone else have hair loss? Did you try Rogaine?? How long before the hair grew back? And if worse comes to worse....who makes the best wigs? :)

It's not unusual to have hair loss after this surgery and getting adequate Protein is the best way to battle this loss. I used powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protein powder and it is honestly very good. The first powder I purchased was awful so I know exactly what you mean. You can find Unjury at unjury.com and I loved the chocolate and used the unflavored occaisionally in Soup and such. I would think that hair extentions would put additional weight and stress on your hair... I had a friend that had the same problem and she cut her hair from long to an adorable short style at her doctors recomendation to put less stress and weight on her hair. They do have medications available for female Hair loss as well... you might want to check with your doctor if this was a problem before your surgery.

Darcy

I've been getting a bald spot right on the top of my head. My doctor said to put Preparation H on it.

He said it wouldn't grow hair on my head, but it would shrink my head to fit what hair I have left.

Seriously my doctor told me that there would be some Hair loss, and thinning and that it was perfectly normal, and only temporary. If I were a lady I'd think this is a good excuse to buy hats.

A few years ago, my hair started thinning in the front, too. At first, I thought it was my thyroid-DH thought it was stress-Dr. said it could be heredity. At any rate, about 3 months ago, I bought a package of generic rogain for women ($18 for 3mth supply)at Wal-mart and my hair is coming back! Since your hair was falling out BEFORE the surgery, it's something to consider. Good luck to you. I understand how frustrating Hair loss can be.

I can totally relate to you about the hair issue. I have fine hair myself. It has never been very thick but it seems down right thin these days. I just try to get my Protein in. I hear that it does eventually stop falling out but hopefully that happens BEFORE I'm bald. LOL... If you find a magic cure let me know and I'll do the same. Teresa

Violet, I know this is off-topic, but do people tell you all the time that you look exactly like Linda Rondstadt?

Nancy

Thanks everyone! I will try the Unjury! They didn't have it at GNC, so I will have to order it and for now, I picked up a new Protein powder that the guy at GNC said was really good. It has twice as much Protein in a serving, so at least I'll only need to have it once a day instead of twice.

I also picked up some Vitamins for "hair." I don't know it will help, but I take cholysteramine every day, which also robs you of your Vitamins, so a little extra probably won't hurt me.

I decided to pass on the Rogaine for now. It said side effects can include Hair growth on your forehead and cheeks. If something has a side effect, I'm the one that's going to get it.

Claraluz, when I was thin (in my teenaged-years), everybody told me I looked exactly like Pat Benatar. Strangers would come up to me and kid around and say "Hi Pat!" So I guess the resemblance was strong, though I don't really see it. After I gained weight, one or two people told me I looked like Linda Rondstadt. So it's something I've heard before.

I've also been told I look like Morticia...lol. That's in my middle weight range. :)

I think we all have battled Hair loss since we have been banded...My hair is the longest it has been in years and it I was seeing long strands of hair everywhere, the bathroom sink, my car, the couch, the kitchen counter, in my bra..and when I would wash it it would come out it small gobs so I got it cut shorter last week 3 inches of the back and layered and I have noticed a dramatic difference in NOT shedding so much..still shedding but not as much. As a licensed hairdresser I learned in school that we lose hair everyday no matter what, lower fat diet contirubtes to hair loss, not brushing it as often results in hair loss..not eating as much Protein and hormonal changes, weight loss are all factors in hair loss