Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stalled in first month

I had surgery on 9/29/16 so 4 weeks out today. I lost 5 lbs the week before surgery and now in total I have lost 12lbs since surgery. Im hitting at least 60g of Protein sometimes more, 40-50oz of Water and trying to improve on that. In general I'm trying to hit below 50g carbs a day but to be honest i have had sugary stuff this week because of my bday. Cals are btw 900-1200. Everything goes down fine, no pain & im on softer foods. I feel like it should be coming off faster. My surgery weight was 252 & I'm currently 240. Any thoughts guys?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I keep reading about 3 week stall, maybe that's what is happening ?

happy Llama sad Llama... big fat mama Llama.

A stall in the 1st month is common.

If you are consuming sugar - that isn't going to help break a stall.

Try upping your Water - 40-50oz is pretty low and can lead to you retaining Fluid.< /p>

1200 calories seems high for only a month out - can you list a typical day's intake?

i'm 5 weeks out i've been in a stall for 3 weeks now. sucks but it will break sooner or later. i'm curious how your getting 1200 cals in though i can't even get any where close to that

My sleeve seems to be healing fast and just really tolerating food fine. I usually have yogurt for Breakfast, a premier Protein shake in then chili or some kind of soft meat, Beans for lunch And similar for dinner. I will also have Protein based Snacks like cheese or cottage cheese and sometimes a little veggies. I should probably not snack so much :/

1200 calories still seems high for 1 month out. Are you sticking to the amounts recommended on your plan? It is super important to weigh and measure early out. Just because you can eat more, doesn't mean you should.

I just looked back in my diary on MyFitnessPal and at 6 weeks out I was around 525 calories a day which included: half a carton of dannon light and fit yogurt for Breakfast, 2 oz turkey and a low fat string cheese for lunch (with a tsp yellow mustard), 2 oz fish or chicken and maybe 1oz soft veggies for dinner, and a Protein shake made with 1 cup fairlife skim milk for a snack. Totaling 73 grams of Protein a day and getting 56-64oz of fluids a day.

Ok yea I really need to reign it in. The truth is that because im eating food without any issues i am definitely giving into mental hunger, im def not actually hungry. Im gonna try to cut down Snacks and cals and up Water, thank you!

yep - giving in to head hunger will derail you. Also, are you taking a PPI? If not, excess stomach acid can cause what feels like hunger pangs.

When the head hunger hits - try to reset your brain by doing something active - go for a walk or just anything. For me, having my hands active helps - so I colored a lot and started teaching myself to knit - hard to eat and knit at the same time

My best guess is it's Water weight, and just be patient and the scale will move soon. Even at 1200 cal per day, you should be losing that's why I think it's Water weight or your body is still adjusting to the major surgery. I had a tremendous amount of water retention the first few weeks... Still do off and on. Drink more water to flush it out, like 68 oz at the very least. It'll help curb head hunger too. Like what others are saying, take your PPI as directed so you won't have acid mimicking hunger pains.

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

I have similar start date, weight stuck at 240. I have only lost 6 lbs in 3 weeks. 500 if that calories a week. Hoping things move along soon.

We are very similar I our situations. I am 6 weeks out and also lost 5 lbs prior to surgery. Then 8lbs over next 2 weeks. Then for 3 weeks no loss at all. Then 2 lbs at week 5. Start weight was 238. Now 223. It is coming off slowly. I also have had no trouble with food or liquids. I always get between 80-100 grams of Protein daily and sometimes more. I try to get at least 60 or more ounces of Water daily. My calorie intake at this point fluctuates between 800-1100 calories per day. I usually start my day with a Protein Drink and mostly just eat 3 meals per day. I am not much of a snacker. It is definitely hard at times to stop eating when I should, but I try to anyway because I have eaten more than I should a couple of times and it is uncomfortable. I also wish the weight would come off a little faster but I am a former lap bander and I hear that for some reason we tend to lose at a slower rate. I am grateful every time I see the scale show a loss.

I agree with everyone else, stay on track with your plan and you will see progress.