Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Making the decision

I am in the process of making this decision. I see the before and after pictures. I see how much weight is lost and how lives are changed.... I am curious if anyone wishes they had not chosen the sleeve and why?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I didn't, actually...I had chosen the RNY. The problem is, the surgeon who had repaired my umbilical hernia years before used a mesh that allowed the intestine to grow into it, creating adhesions that made the RNY impossible. So the surgeon opted for the sleeve, with me. In my reading post-surgery and discussing it with a few people who had RNY, I feel like I might have ultimately gotten the better procedure, at least in terms of long-term health. One of my mom's friends who had RNY about 10 years ago said the malabsorbtion aspect is only really a positive for the first couple years, while you get to goal. After that, it's a hinderance and she said she actually developed celiac disease as a result of it. She wishes she could have had the sleeve, but at the time apparently it was not covered by her insurance.

I feel like, for me, the combination of the restriction and the lack of hunger are enabling me to get my mind right and start establishing better habits, and that's really what I needed from the surgery...I needed it to enforce the Portion Control, and ease the impact of hunger pangs so that I could focus on the task at hand. It was the combination of the mental and physical issues that made it so hard for me to lose weight, long-term. I've taken the physical part off the table, to a large extent...so now I can just focus on the mental. So I would say, as someone who got unintentionally switched to a sleeve, I now think it may be a better option, long-term.

Most people regret it at first when they feel bad. There have been a couple of people on here who regret it much longer, look at the complications board and you will see people who are having a bad time. But even those people usually are happy they had the surgery once they get past the hurdles.

My surgery is on Halloween. I can't wait!

Go to YouTube and search WLS, VSG, RNY, etc. It is amazing to watch people VLOG their journey, they look so different after the weight loss.

I guess most people miss being able to pig out sometimes, like on vacation, but being thin and healthy is so much better. You still have to work at weight loss, and keeping it off, for the rest of your life. But doing it without the surgery has a very low long term success rate. I know I can't lose it and keep it off without the surgery.

Thanks for your story! I understand.

Thank you Laceemouse. I am headed to YouTube!

Omg the sleeve has changed our life forever! We are not hungry, we are more healthy,k we are off meds, the hubbys diabetes is under control. THERE ARE NO NEGATIVES.

I had the sleeve in March I'm 5kgs away from my goal weight at first it takes a bit to get use to the new way of life

I feel the best I ever remember feeling I look great and feel confident

I think the biggest thing is working on mind over matter I've started thinking about food more lately the first 6 months I had to remind myself to eat I feel I'm starting to think more about food and so I've been struggling a little bit as I do not want to regain the weight the surgery cost me $20,000 and I cannot fail

but overall it's all been so worth it as I've given myself a chance atleast

I feel however I have been through the easy part the hardest parts are still to come the mind battle.

Sent from my iPhone

I saw too many people talking about complications and weight gain many years later after the bypass so I made sure to choose the sleeve instead. I only had 60-65 impossible to lose pounds to drop and I don't regret my decision.