Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleep apnea as co-morbidity

Hi,

What does the insurance company look for when you have sleep apnea as a co-morbidity? I'm thinking about ordering a sleep test hoping to have a positive test being that I have most of the symptoms already. But, I didn't want to pay $300.

Can I order a CPAP without a prescription? Will my insurance approve me without a sleep study?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

You need a prescription for air. Sorry. I had my PCP write a script for a bipap machine. These are automatic and don't require the pressure calibration. I bought an open box model online for $200. I also tried several masks until I found one I liked. You can probably work out a rental deal with a local medical supply person to see if you will be compliant. Not everyone does well with these devises.

:-(

I think you would need a sleep study in order to count it as a comorbidity. Otherwise everyone would use it because it cant really be proved without a study. Snoring doesnt always mean sleep apnea.

HW 385 SW 359 CW 344 Sleeved 10/5/16

Unless you are a doctor I would not buy medical equiptment. I have sleep apnea and CPAP machines need calibrated based on a sleep study. You may do more ham than good "cutting corners"

Thanks everyone. I guess I need to stop being cheap...

I told my doctor to get me a referral for a home sleep test because going to a lab costs more than my deductible.

I got the sleep study assuming it would show I had it and could use it as further support of insurance coverage. It did, mild sleep apnea. I snore.

I was made to go to that doctor for clearance who did the hard sell of the cpap machine, which I had no intension of buying (insurance doesn't cover the good ones). But had some other crazy Co pay for his other testing. Bottom line, I told him thanks but no thanks. I'm getting sleeved please give me the clearance and test results for the apnea and off I went. Yes it helped with insurance.

My daughter says I hardly snore anymore. She said thus 4 weeks out when we shared a hotel room.

Sent from my SM-N910T using the BariatricPal App

Ok, cool.

Hi,

What does the insurance company look for when you have sleep apnea as a co-morbidity? I'm thinking about ordering a sleep test hoping to have a positive test being that I have most of the symptoms already. But, I didn't want to pay $300.

Can I order a CPAP without a prescription? Will my insurance approve me without a sleep study?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

@@teedsg Hello... I thought the same and I took the at home test and it came back negative. Waisted $350!!!

Do you have any other comobibtities ?

I'm in my 5th month of supervised diet. I don't have one of the 4 the comobibtities. However I am praying the will consider my other health issues. Athem requirments are

BMI of 40 or greater, or BMI of 35 or greater with an obesity-related co-morbid condition including, but not limited to:

diabetes mellitus; or

cardiovascular disease; or

hypertension; or

life threatening cardio-pulmonary problems, (for example, severe obstructive sleep apnea, Pickwickian syndrome, obesity related cardiomyopathy)

.... I have venous insufficiency ( high blood pressure in my veins basically) in both legs caused by obesity. I had 17 veins stripped from my legs 2 yrs ago and I'm scheduled for both legs again in Jan. These could lead to stroke and dvt (blood clots) and I have arthritis as well, along with some other issues. So I hope this will fall into the statement "but not limited too". I am so worried about getting denied.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

@@TJ1257,

I'm sorry to hear you had to go through those things. I'm I don't have any other co-morbidities and going to my 4th month NUT visit next month. I take metformin for PCOS. Metformin is a diabetes med. I wish PCOS was a co-morbidity.

In the meantime, I'm going to see a cardiologist to see why I keep having chest pains.