Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Insomnia, hot flashes, rosacea, hair loss! Maybe these are some answers!

Okay folks,

Honestly, I just wanted to share some info with those who might be suffering from insomnia, rosacea, hot flashes, or hair loss.

I took diet pills couple of years ago and got these side effects VERY BADLY.

I went to a dermatologist and sleep clinic but they offered no solutions.

I visited an oriental doctor, and i am Sooooo happy to say that after acupuncture and herbal medicine, I no longer have these side effects!!!

The thing is, upon my research of this gastric sleeve, I found these exact same symptoms occur to some people who get the vsg.

This scared me SO MUCH, because i know how painful and stressful it can be with these side effects.

Therefore, I emailed a bunch of oriental doctors for their feedback about how the sleeve sometimes gives off these side effects.

I just wanted to share their answers with you, because it seems to me from the forum that not many people are familiar with oriental medicine and how much it can help!

I am so worried about losing hair, insomnia, or hot flashes developing, so I asked around some doctors and here are their responses.

Hello *****,

This is Keri, an acupuncturist from Source Healing. Ashton forwarded me your question, and I was able to chat with the other acupuncturists here and we are all in agreement.

According to Chinese Medical theory, it seems like the reason for the possible insomnia and facial heat is because of what we could call "heat rising in the stomach channel". When there is less space for digestion, this can lead to an increase of activity (even if the patient is not eating as much), which would, in our theory, produce excess heat. Heat in the body tends to rise, and heat in the stomach channel in particular could produce such symptoms as insomnia and facial heat, possibly among other symptoms.

We would use acupuncture to clear heat in the body, regulate digestion and promote regular metabolic functions.
Please be in touch with any other questions and if you'd like to set up an initial appointment.
Best,

KERI ONDRUS

Acupuncturist + Herbalist

Hi *****,

The hair loss would also be a side effect of excess heat in the system. It is definitely possible that the side effects can be treated with Chinese medicine. In addition to acupuncture, we have an herbal pharmacy and often make dietary and lifestyle recommendations that can help set up our clients for long-term success.

We always believe in the body's innate ability to heal; that being said, we are also the first to let you know if we don't see treatments working as well as we expect. We want you to get the most out of any treatments you receive here.

Best,
Keri

This is another response from a different doctor.

Hi *****

Thanks for your inquiry. Acupuncture can be very useful for helping people recover from surgery and treating symptoms like hot flashes and insomnia. From a Chinese Medicine perspective, a surgery like that can be damaging to the Blood and YIn of the body, causing an energetic imbalance which can lead to symptoms like insomnia and hot flashes. Obviously, different people with have different recovery experiences, but Chinese Medicine would be aimed at restoring energetic balance to the individual and strengthening the body to help speed up the healing process.
I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

here are some more responses: @kschultz007

Hi Sarah,

I am so sorry it took me so long to get back to you.
From a chinese medicine perspective, there isn't only one explanation for why one would have hot flashes and insomnia following this type of surgery, but one possibility really stands out.
For our purposes, the Stomach is directly below the Heart (pretty close to true from an anatomical view). The Heart is the Emperor which is also the Fire element. By virtue of proximity, when the Stomach is disturbed, it often disturbs the Emperor. When the Emperor is disturbed, it's element Fire flares upward. This results in feelings of heat rushing up and the mind being disturbed leading to restless sleep or insomnia.
This pattern that I've described can definitely be treated by acupuncture and herbal medicine.
If you'd like to have more of a conversation about any of that, I'd be happy to talk.
Looking forward to speaking with you.
Warmly,

@@kschultz007 @@mr1121 i had acupuncture 4 times.

I'm gunna get treatment for hair loss this november. i go to an acupuncturist place that only specializes in Hair loss though.

but i went for acupuncture for insomnia and hot flashes 4 times and got completely better. I'm really hoping that acupuncture will help with any and all side effects of the sleeve. cuz seriously. side effects to stuff sucks like $H!T

Edited by sleevejourney