Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Obesity, Cancer and Bariatric Surgery

Hi, I will be seeing a bariatric surgeon this week. I've always been at least 10 or 15 pounds overweight. But I am now at least 70 pounds over ideal weight. I thought it was only going through treatment for colon cancer, that caused me excessive weight gain. The surgery and the chemo wore me out, the steroids I had to use to treat the chemo side effects also affected my weight and I was not making good food choices. My oncologist raised bariatric surgery as a possible treatment for the obesity. My primary care doctor is ok with the idea, she just wanted to make sure that I was mentally and physically prepared for another surgery.

My BMI is about 36. That BMI level, plus having at least two competitors, high blood pressure and sleep apnea, will qualify me for insurance coverage.

I've found some studies that suggest excess weight increases the risk of developing certain forms of cancer. But I've also seen a study that suggests that those who have had bariatric surgery have a greater likelihood of colon cancer after the surgery. Ann Surg. 2013 Dec;258(6):983-8, Increased risk of colorectal cancer after obesity surgery.

I have records of my weight and I see that as far back as 2012 I was at least 60 pounds overweight. So this weight problem has been with me for awhile, both before and after cancer treatment.

I've tried calorie restriction and exercise in the last few years but it hasn't helped. In the past I've used slimfast, Atkins, weight watchers, etc. They all worked, but I gained the weight back.

I am an emotional eater. What will happen if I continue to eat based on emotions after I have bariatric surgery? I recognize that surgery will not cure the emotion based eating.

I am considering either lap band or gastric sleeve. I would like to know anyone's experience with these surgeries. Were the side effects really difficult to deal with? How did you decide which surgery was better for you?

Do you think that the reduction of the likelihood some cancers outweighs the potential increase in colon cancer likelihood?

Finally, I am aware that bariatric surgery is not a quick fix or a cure all.

Welcome!

I can't answer your question about cancer other than to say that by following my post-op nutrition program, staying hydrated, taking my Vitamins and supplements, exercising, and eating healthier I am as healthy as I have been in years. My sleep apnea has improved tremendously. I would think that a general improvement in health and sleep may help with cancer risks but that would be an assumption on my part.

Definitely talk to your surgeon about steroid use. My surgeon was pretty clear that steroids would inhibit healing of my sleeve.

As to emotional eating, surgery will not cure you of emotional eating. It will help but you will still need to address those issues with a good counselor or therapist. Especially because right after surgery, when you physically can't eat much, and you no longer have food to manage your stress and emotions, and your hormones are wacky from fat loss, it can be a very difficult time.

You may want to consider something like Overeaters Anonymous. You can find meeting lists and other resources, like podcasts, online at OA.org.

Best of luck and keep us posted on your journey.

As a colon cancer survivor myself, I can say that we are already at risk for an reoccurrence (sp?). For me, the benefits of the WLS outweighs any additional colon cancer risks.

You'll be required to have a psych consult by your insurance (most likely). Be honest during it. They might recommend CBT to help with the emotional eating issues. ( That's me too and am currently in CBT)

My program does very few bands anymore because they don't have the long term weight loss like the other surgeries. I'm leaning towards the sleeve but not ruling out RNY just yet.

Sent from my SM-G920P using the BariatricPal App

As someone who just had a revision from a lap band to a bypass. I do not recommend the lap band! I had mine in for about 11 years. I developed acid reflux with the band and found the fill level to be variable. in the morning i had difficulty with getting Water down, by evening I could eat steak. Eventually it failed altogether and would not take a fill. No one told me when they put it in that it would eventually wear out and need to be replaced.

Revision was the best decision I ever made. Just my 2 cents. Make sure you do your research. Many surgeons are no longer doing them because of the known issues (mine included).

There are many things that can kill you. Setting aside cancer for a second. You indicated that you had high blood pressure and sleep apnea. These were very serious conditions that I had prior to my RNY gastric bypass surgery 3 years ago. These conditions went into remission shortly after surgery and remained there. So the surgery can be of benefit to you.

I would not recommend lap band surgery because many patients have problems years down the road with this type of surgery. RNY gastric bypass or gastric sleeve surgery seem like good alternatives.

I also have emotional eating issues. I highly recommend finding a therapist to help with that. The physical changes have helped me a lot, but the surgery can't fix the thinking in your head.

When I think about the things I miss eating, I realize that it's all about stuffing down my emotions, not that I really loved the foods. Now that the food isn't an option, I'm having to work a lot more on self care and figuring out why I feel the drive to eat, and what to do about it instead.

hello everyone. i just wanted to thank you all for sharing your experiences with me. This information is really helpful and i will be able to use it when i meet with the surgeon. i will definitely be returning here to ask more questions as i advance along the process leading to surgery.