Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Failure, forgiveness & getting real

Went to my 12 mo. post op last week. I've lost 90 lbs. total but have not lost a pound in the last 4 months. The PA said i'm doing great and that stalls are common however you and I know I should have lost some weight in the last three months. Very frustrated and to be honest quite weepy over the whole thing.

I swore that I would not be one of those that fail. I'm doing everything different this time (this diet) than I have done before. First thing I did was to forgive myself for gaining it all and allowing myself to be kinder and gentler with myself.....well I think I forgave myself into one too many slices of apple pie. I also increased my activity and have been walking/bending/stretching/hauling (we are clearing land of dead trees....thats some pretty awesome exercise).

I have struggled with low Protein numbers since day one. I developed a sensitivity to the Protein shakes early on as i had to do the pre op diet twice because i had to cancel surgery due to a death in the family. It kind of scared me off all Protein drinks and I just can't eat enough to get enough of the protein in.

Getting real......I need to put my big girl pants on and drink the damn protein. Its the answer to my problem I know this. I need to increase my Water intake....two simple things that I can do to be successful.

The PA at my Dr.s suggested MR Musclegen Research GENEPRO medical grade protein (amazon.com) Its flavorless and I've only had one serving (in coffee) and it went down ok. The thing that sets this apart is a different method of creating it that is supposed to be more gentle on your tummy and it contains 30 gm in one tablespoon.

My question.....have you used this product? What are you mixing it in? can you bake with it? Where are you buying it from...this stuffs pricy?

Any other helpful tidbits for those of you past the 8 month stall?

I want to push back a little. Why do you need to drink Protein instead of eating, say, chicken, fish, lean beef, etc.?

I personally don't use GENEPRO because I don't trust its claims (gram is a unit of weight -- you can't get 30 grams of protein out of 15 grams of substance). But if I did use it, I'd probably check out prices here at the BariatricPal Store, Amazon, and EBay and figure out who has the best price and shipping deal combined. Good luck!

I use gene pro and hate it- it is definitely NOT flavorless . It is so gross to me. I have gotten to where I will

Mix it with a very small

Amount of liquid and take it like a shot. Hold my nose and then take a sip of G2 before I let go of my nose - it's an ordeal that I dread every day . Protein is my big problem as well. food still grosses me out so o really have to work to get protein- someone told me powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protein powder is truly flavorless. Trying that next

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Went to my 12 mo. post op last week. I've lost 90 lbs. total but have not lost a pound in the last 4 months. The PA said i'm doing great and that stalls are common however you and I know I should have lost some weight in the last three months. Very frustrated and to be honest quite weepy over the whole thing.

I swore that I would not be one of those that fail. I'm doing everything different this time (this diet) than I have done before. First thing I did was to forgive myself for gaining it all and allowing myself to be kinder and gentler with myself.....well I think I forgave myself into one too many slices of apple pie. I also increased my activity and have been walking/bending/stretching/hauling (we are clearing land of dead trees....thats some pretty awesome exercise).

I have struggled with low Protein numbers since day one. I developed a sensitivity to the Protein shakes early on as i had to do the pre op diet twice because i had to cancel surgery due to a death in the family. It kind of scared me off all protein drinks and I just can't eat enough to get enough of the protein in.

Getting real......I need to put my big girl pants on and drink the damn protein. Its the answer to my problem I know this. I need to increase my Water intake....two simple things that I can do to be successful.

The PA at my Dr.s suggested MR Musclegen Research GENEPRO medical grade protein (amazon.com) Its flavorless and I've only had one serving (in coffee) and it went down ok. The thing that sets this apart is a different method of creating it that is supposed to be more gentle on your tummy and it contains 30 gm in one tablespoon.

My question.....have you used this product? What are you mixing it in? can you bake with it? Where are you buying it from...this stuffs pricy?

Any other helpful tidbits for those of you past the 8 month stall?

I agree. Getting enough protein is critical. And, stalls are a normal, natural, and necessary part of the process of losing weight.

Why do you feel you have to drink Protein Shakes to get in enough protein? I am over a year out and I drink an occasional shake for convenience, but can meet all of my protein needs with food if I need it.

It sounds to me like you are looking for a magic bullet rather than avoiding the apple pie in the first place.

You can do this! It may not be exciting and easy, but it is fairly simple: focus on getting in all your protein and fluids; take your Vitamins and supplements as directed; avoid starches, added sugars (especially high fructose corn syrup) and fried foods; exercise; and Embrace the Stall

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall.

I use gene pro and hate it- it is definitely NOT flavorless . It is so gross to me. I have gotten to where I will

Mix it with a very small

Amount of liquid and take it like a shot. Hold my nose and then take a sip of G2 before I let go of my nose - it's an ordeal that I dread every day . Protein is my big problem as well. food still grosses me out so o really have to work to get protein- someone told me unjury Protein Powder is truly flavorless. Trying that next

Have you tried Premier Protein, injury, Quest, Syntrax nectar, or any of the other supplements? Why force down something you can't stand? How far out are you that you aren't eating food? Have you talked to your NUT about your challenges?

I have used GENEPRO. I don't find it completely tasteless, but more importantly it changes the texture of things I put it in and makes it unpalatable for me. The best I did with it was to mix it up with a small amount of Water and add it to chicken broth. That went down quite well.

However, my daughter has started drinking fruit smoothies in the mornings, and throws the GENEPRO in and she says she can't tell it's there. I'm trying different things to put it in hoping to find something that goes down easily. I got samples of a bunch of different Protein shakes, and even though I liked one really well pre-op, I didn't tolerate it post-op and had to switch to Premier Protein for my morning "get the Protein started" Breakfast.

I've used GENEPRO for a long time. All my labs have been perfect. I use it in my kefir shakes and coffee. Sometimes I put it in Soup. I'm not going to go down that path again about the chemistry of GENEPRO (I'm a long time Protein purification chemist.) but I assure you that you PA wasn't wrong in recommending it.

I concur. Eat! Eat your protein!

Are you tracking your Protein and calorie intake? And if not, how do you know what you need to do to get your weight loss moving again?

You're at the 'easy' 65-70% of weight loss that's touted as the average loss with WLS. To get to the goal line, you've got to work harder and smarter. Your body is now complacent, and you need to shake things up. Increase Protein, fluids, calories and activity. Eat ONLY lean protien and veggies with every meal and only protein rich Snacks like cheese, nuts, Jerky and greek yogurt. Get rid of the sugar and carbs. Try to steer clear of processed food.

Everyone is different, but at a year out you should be at at least 1000-1100 calories and 80-90 grams of protein.

You follow those guidelines, and I gaurantee you'll get to where you want to be in no time. If you really want it, you get there.

I, too, am on the "eat your protein" train. It will keep you full longer, and at your stage in the game, there is no reason to suffer through anything you don't like.

Crab, shrimp, beef, edamame, cheese... So many good and tasty forms of Protein out there for sure! Why torture yourself when you can get your Protein in in a way that is actually better for your body and much more realistic long term?

I want to push back a little. Why do you need to drink Protein instead of eating, say, chicken, fish, lean beef, etc.?

I personally don't use GENEPRO because I don't trust its claims (gram is a unit of weight -- you can't get 30 grams of protein out of 15 grams of substance). But if I did use it, I'd probably check out prices here at the BariatricPal Store, Amazon, and EBay and figure out who has the best price and shipping deal combined. Good luck!

Good point about the gram units weight. I'll have to read up a bit more on that. I like the fact that i don't have to use so much this product to get the higher amounts. Regarding why i need the protein is that i cannot eat enough meat to satisfy 80 to 100 grams that I require. I couldn't even get it up to 60 which is where the Dr. wanted me to be consuming for the 12 months post op. They just upped me to 80-100grm. at my last visit.

Mix it with a very small

Amount of liquid and take it like a shot. Hold my nose and then take a sip of G2 before I let go of my nose - it's an ordeal that I dread every day . Protein is my big problem as well. food still grosses me out so o really have to work to get protein- someone told me unjury Protein powder is truly flavorless. Trying that next

I hope the gene pro works for me. I've had a real bad attitude about the shakes in general. It doesn't seem too thick which is what i liked. I did manage two servings today and am feeling good about it so far. I need to psych myself into this.

Mix it with a very small

Amount of liquid and take it like a shot. Hold my nose and then take a sip of G2 before I let go of my nose - it's an ordeal that I dread every day . Protein is my big problem as well. food still grosses me out so o really have to work to get protein- someone told me unjury Protein powder is truly flavorless. Trying that next

Have you tried Premier Protein, injury, Quest, Syntrax nectar, or any of the other supplements? Why force down something you can't stand? How far out are you that you aren't eating food? Have you talked to your NUT about your challenges?

lived on Preimer pre and post op.....and the nectar too. I can't get all my protein in with just eating. It just comes back up.

Yeah, I wanted to say that I agree wholeheartedly with the others that say eating your Protein is better (over any supplements). I'm not a red meat type of person, my Protein comes from fish and fresh vegetables but there are days that I run low on protein, and that's when a supplement comes in handy.

I sure hope you find a supplement that works for you.