Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So....about my pee.

Yeah, so I'm not cleared for the Gym yet. Don't have my follow up until November 16th. My one week follow up was cancelled because of the hurricane and it has messed up all my appointments. I started walking 2 weeks post op and have walked / biked 4 times last week. (2) 3 mile walks at a 3.7mph pace, and (2) 5 mile bike rides at a 12.5 mph pace. I want to keep doing that 3-4 times per week until cleared for gym.

The PA at the office is really good about responding back so I may just send him an email. Gonna try to up my fluids today first. Also, yes, it does have a pretty strong odor and I would say it has been both dark and bright at times. :wacko:

With that type of activity, your Protein intake is good. All of your Protein should be devoted to healing at this point in your recovery. Only excess protein is used for muscle growth. Add to that you will need a good mix of healthy carbs for fuel, you are just not in a position for weight lifting.

Give it time though. Once you are cleared, you DO need to do some weights to battle atrophy. Plenty of threads here in the Guy's Room on the subject. I started adding muscle after about the 9 month mark. Everything before that was maintain muscle mass to aid in fat burning.

I had a problem with frequent urination (overactive bladder) before my RNY gastric bypass surgery. It got so bad that I had to get up almost every hour on the hour to use the restroom at night. But this condition went away after surgery. So this was a good thing.

As you lose weight and your fat cells dissolve, they release a number of chemicals and hormones that were stored inside. These are flushed through your kidneys and expelled in your urine. In order for this process to work effectively, you need to consume enough fluids.

Here is a quick link to an article about the color of urine. Unfortunately it is spread out over 3 pages. http://www.webmd.com/urinary-incontinence-oab/truth-about-urine#1

I had a problem with frequent urination (overactive bladder) before my RNY gastric bypass surgery. It got so bad that I had to get up almost every hour on the hour to use the restroom at night. But this condition went away after surgery. So this was a good thing.

As you lose weight and your fat cells dissolve, they release a number of chemicals and hormones that were stored inside. These are flushed through you kidneys and expelled in your urine. In order for this process to work effectively, you need to consume enough fluids.

Here is a quick link to an article about the color of urine. Unfortunately it is spread out over 3 pages. http://www.webmd.com/urinary-incontinence-oab/truth-about-urine#1

I wonder if I had the same thing. I too, would get up usually twice, but sometimes 3 times a night and I would pee for what seemed like forever. I was always wondering where all this Fluid came from. That stopped after surgery. I sent an email to doc, I'll let you all know his response.

Did you drink a lot of caffeine before? If you drank caffeinated soda a lot before the surgery, that would account for a LOT of your peeing, because it's a diuretic. It makes you drop Water...so you were probably dehydrated, if that was the case. You aren't, now.

Also, bear in mind that part of the process of reducing fat is Water retention. Fat cells absorb water and then expel contents with the water, that's how they shrink. So you're in a constant state of retaining water in your fat cells right now, more or less. That accounts for weight fluctuations from day to day.

You may want to get a test for kidney function, just in case...but I think you're probably okay. I'm peeing a lot less, but that's because I am not on caffeine and I'm struggling to get above 50oz of water a day right now, five weeks out.

Any chance you came off a diuretic bp med?

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

So yes I was on lisinopril for high blood pressure which I'm not on anymore. To answer the other question I was never a big soda drinker and would only have one on occasion. I'm Cuban so coffee is a regular part of my day I would usually drink 2-3 cups of American coffee a day plus a Cuban coffee after lunch I have since cut that by more than half. I emailed my doctor he he says not to worry that it's normal and he'll go into detail during our appointment.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by migalo

Hey, I had my surgery the same day 9/29. Pre-op diet started 9/17. Since then I lost 35lbs. I too have noticed changes on my urine. I went to the ER because I noticed an uncomfortable feeling after I urinated. They said it was not a UTI but I was dehydrated. I have issues with drinking. I had severe nausea up until last week. Seems like you are doing very well on your Protein intake. I can hardly tolerate food. I hope things get better for both of us!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Okay, I was about the same starting weight, I drink at least 70oz of liquid a day, and was a huge Water drinker pre surgery, I used to get bored peeing for such a long time. Here is what I noticed, I lose a lot of liquid from other end, lack of real solid food, and the bulk I was eating, the liquid is exiting there, not diarrhea . I also notice if I drink my liquid as just plan water, I pee a lt more than if most of my liquid has Protein added. As far as weight lose, you are about exactly where I was, get ready for a stall after about 80lbs down. I think you are and doing great. I would love not to need to clean the toilet after every bowel movement!

I had the same reaction after coming off of lisinopril. It's a good thing. Congrats on the new start.

@@migalo - not on the subject of urination, but when you mentioned yoru BP med that reminded me of something. I was also fortunate to get off of BP med and for the first time in over 20 years I am having to do something that is contrary to everything that has been preached to me by ever doctor I have ever had.

Salt my food.

You have GOT to be kidding me?! I drink at a bare minimum 72oz Fluid a day. MINIMUM. But I am having issues with my BP dipping low! I need to retain more Fluid to help keep my BP where it needs to be. It's not an issue really on my rest days, but on my lift days I have almost fainted from BP dropping low.

Like I said, not related to your original post but I wanted to put it out there so you would see it. I am not saying that you most definitely will have this issue, but don't be surprised if it does happen.

@@migalo - not on the subject of urination, but when you mentioned yoru BP med that reminded me of something. I was also fortunate to get off of BP med and for the first time in over 20 years I am having to do something that is contrary to everything that has been preached to me by ever doctor I have ever had.

Salt my food.

You have GOT to be kidding me?! I drink at a bare minimum 72oz Fluid a day. MINIMUM. But I am having issues with my BP dipping low! I need to retain more Fluid to help keep my BP where it needs to be. It's not an issue really on my rest days, but on my lift days I have almost fainted from BP dropping low.

Like I said, not related to your original post but I wanted to put it out there so you would see it. I am not saying that you most definitely will have this issue, but don't be surprised if it does happen.

Thanks for the heads up, gonna by a little BP thingy so I can measure at home. I'm just about 50# down as of this morning and the doc told me a few weeks ago to stay off and measure my own BP, if it stays in the normal range to consult my primary and discontinue use of Lisinopril which it has, but today I've been a little light headed and low BP is in my family history.

Good idea buying a BP cuff. If you go the route I did and buy the electric one, just one note. Don't get hung up on the systolic/diastolic numbers themselves. The cheapy BP cuff is not as accurate as my wifes regular cuff or the ones at the office. They are ballpark numbers. Think of them as "-ish". So mu BP this morning was 115-ish over 70-ish.

If you keep a log, the only thing that is important is how much that "-ish" fluctuates. If it is always 120-ish over 80-ish, you're good. If it starts going all over the place, 120-ish, 100-ish, 150-ish... then you either have a crap BP cuff or you have something going on with your BP.

@@BigViffer - mine ties to my iPhone so it makes tracking easier. Might be worth the extra $10 to get that option. But avoid the wrist versions which seem to be very inaccurate.

Not a fan of iPhones nor Apple in general honestly. stand alone cuff also prevents vendor lock in. A notebook log or a spreadsheet is my prefered method of keeping track of things.