Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Heightened smells and gag reflex

I am one month post-op and have been having a hard time with smells and my gag reflex. I had an issue with this prior to surgery at a much lower level and didn't really think much about it going into surgery. Sometimes I can even just think about how something might smell or taste and it makes me sick to my stomach and even gag. I'm having a hard time keeping things down and definitely cannot do anything chewable for Vitamins. I have found that the Isopure Protein Drinks are OK for me and I can sip on them all day. food is hit-or-miss depending on the day and depending on my reflexes. I have read a lot of different forums where people have similar stories but I'm not really sure what I need to do about this. I'm hoping to have an appointment with my bariatric office this week. I really just want to know how long this lasts and if anybody has any tips to get through this period after surgery. Thank you all so much!

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

I have always had what we jokingly call "pregnancy nose" but it has gotten kinda worse since the surgery. Things that didnt bug me before get me know. For example, my husband got a "new york dog" from sonics and the onions and kraut were making me nausious. It smelled like rancid armpits.

HW 385 SW 359 Sleeved 10/5/16

I totally sympathize with that! I would probably get sick smelling that. It is so weird because my head says certain things will be good (not bad things...chicken, Protein drinks etc) but if I smell them...eh...game over. It does feel like pregnancy again but on a very different level. Lol

I am 1 month post op and feel the same way. I am at my breaking point today because whatever I try to eat grosses me out from the smell. I am struggling with meat and can not eat cottage cheese or eggs which I use to love. I am snuggled in bed knowing I ate yogurt for Breakfast and a tablespoon of mashed potatoes for lunch. I attempted chicken for dinner and couldn't get through the first bite. Please say this gets better??

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I am 1 month post op and feel the same way. I am at my breaking point today because whatever I try to eat grosses me out from the smell. I am struggling with meat and can not eat cottage cheese or eggs which I use to love. I am snuggled in bed knowing I ate yogurt for Breakfast and a tablespoon of mashed potatoes for lunch. I attempted chicken for dinner and couldn't get through the first bite. Please say this gets better??

Are you having any Protein drinks or shakes? Do you just keep going back to liquids? What Protein are you keeping down?

I am 1 month post op and feel the same way. I am at my breaking point today because whatever I try to eat grosses me out from the smell. I am struggling with meat and can not eat cottage cheese or eggs which I use to love. I am snuggled in bed knowing I ate yogurt for breakfast and a tablespoon of mashed potatoes for lunch. I attempted chicken for dinner and couldn't get through the first bite. Please say this gets better??

Are you having any Protein drinks or shakes? Do you just keep going back to liquids? What Protein are you keeping down?

I can put GENEPRO in my yogurt and sometimes get a premier Protein shake down(I have to force myself but it depends on if I can get my gagging under control). Nothing tastes the way I remember it.

Same here. I want a miracle answer right now to get through this. BUT I know that in a year's time, this memory will be so insignificant because I will feel better, be healthier and look amazing!!

Melrey... try sipping on the Isopure Protein drinks... for me, I have found that I can keep them down and at least get some Protein in. They are a clear liquid so they aren't too thick and heavy...fruity flavors. I will let you know what my NUT says this week.