Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have to sleep sitting up

I haven't been able to sleep laying down in several months, it all started when I couldn't stop coughing at night and sleeping sitting up helped cure it. Now it is happening when I sit up, I end up throwing up almost everynight. I usually don't eat after 6, I should be loosing more weight but I'm not, and it really sucks because I am not even at my goal weight after 2 years. I've kept 55 pounds off, but I don't have much restriction and I am afraid to get another fill because of the caughing. Also, alot of reflux, sometimes comes out of my nose as well. I don't get it.:wacko:

Have you had the doc check you maybe with the flouro. I have absolutely NO medical training. But am afraid that may sound like a problem with the band like slippage or pouch dialation. I truly hope not though as I've had some bouts of some symptoms much like these though not as severe yet. Please see your doctor and give us an update.

I moved to Florida a year ago and I am having trouble finding a doctor that will see me here. No one wants to see someones patient. My doctor is in St. Louis. And I don't have insurance anymore. But I do need to get it checked out, it does feel like something is really off. Not to mention what is happening to my esophogus.

Wendy,

I've experienced similar issues. I had to go back to the Dr. and have the band unfilled for 30 days. Luckily no slippage or erosion, just inflamed esophogus. He told me if it happens again to go on liquids for 3 days or so to let the swelling go down. I've been refilled since July and it's starting a bit again so I'm trying to go the bland liquid route.

I hope it helps to know you're not alone! The reflux is horrible in the middle of the night.

Terri

You have to find a way to see a doctor, like ASAP. Bad reflux is the first sign of a slip. At the worst, a slip. At the least, you are overfilled. I'd say if it is this bad there could be something horribly wrong.

Get thee to a doctor and don't delay, ok?

I had the exact same problem when I had a too tight fill last year and I lived like the for 8 months. I didn't lose any weight due to the tight fill but I started walking alot and lost 25 lbs in 4 months then I went for an unfill and the night coughing stopped. But as a preventative measure my fill doctor recommended taking an acid reducer at night with hot tea. A year later I'm still minus 25 lbs and taking acid reducer and don't exercise as much.

BTW I'm 4.5 years out and had not lost any weight at all during years 2-3 but now I'm only 10 lbs from goal.

Definately get a slight unfill. You have to be able to live with the band and not sleeping at night is not the way to go.

Ana

had the exact same symptons. i was up 10 times a night..coughing, throwing up..it was a nightmare. i had an endoscopy and upper gi done..my band is fine...just a terrible case of acide reflux...doc and i are working on a solution.

go get a endoscopy today so they can see what is wrong..you should not have to live like that!

I will have to try the liquids for 3 days, thanks for the advice. And yes it is horrible to have the reflux in the middle of the night, I am definently sleep deprived.

I understand. I have been getting that for . . . roughly two years. Waking up in the middle of the night with vomit. Sometimes it's fine, regular vomit I can deal with.

It's when i wake up, vomiting up some vague residue of food which a whole heap of stomach acid. It burns and tastes . . . it tastes like a crushed up pain killer. Not something you want to taste. Horrible.

Wendy, not sure if you are still having this problem,but I had the excat same problem sleeping as you have stated,excat same problems. my band was to tight and when i laid down at night the food in my pouch had no where to go. the doctor removed all the saline in my pouch for three weeks. I sleep so hard now it scares me. I go today to get a fill and will never ever have my pouch that tight again

Della

it makes me feel better that some of you are having these issues but do not have a slipped band..that is what I thought it was. i was terrified.

i go see the doc monday...i hope he can help me.

those of you you had the coughing, no sleeping, vomiting bile symptons...did they ever figure out what it was?

thanks and wenyr hope you feel better soon.

I'm seeing a doctor about it on October the 3rd. I can put up with vomiting 16 times through a meal, but not waking up at night vomiting. Hideous.

The last time I was filled he filled it to a point he wasn't even quite comfortable with. Lookng back on it, I kinda feel like I Guinea Pig.

I had the same problem, waking up at night coughing and throwing up. It was horrible. I was actually on vacation during all of this. I received a fill 3wks prior to vacation and then while I was gone (on a cruise so I couldn't see the Dr) the fill took full effect and boom - all my problems started.

I went to the Dr the day I returned home, I had a very, very slight slippage due to being overfilled. I am now at an unfill for the next two weeks and on a full liquid diet. I will then go back to make sure the slippage is down (which they really think it will be) and then I'll start with slow fills. My Dr thinks that I can't handle a lot of a fill at one time.

Question - has anyone had a small slippage due to being overfilled and it go down after so long of an unfill and a liquid diet?