Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did I make a mistake?

Hello Everyone,

I had my surgery 5 days ago. And it's honestly been super tough. My surgery was Monday, and I stayed in the hospital until Thursday. ( no surgical complications, gas wouldn't pass, and throwing up the whole time). Now I am home, and it's tough. My mind still thinks that I am hungry and I know that I am not. It's really difficult trying to transition from eating all the time, to not being hungry at all. I feel that I am starting to become a tad bit depressed. My family doesn't seem to grasp the whole situation and fail to realize that I am alone on this journey. I feel like I've mad a complete mistake with this surgery, but I know it's just my mind overthinking. I'm very happy I've made this choice. Maybe it's me thinking that I'll never be the same again? Which I know that is true, but the same as being the same bubbly personality. It's really a though journey and I honestly didn't think it would be this TOUGH!!! I should've prepared myself mentally for this, I only focused on the physical parts and now I am struggling. I know the outcome will be worth it, but at the moment, I feel I've made a mistake- How do you cheer yourself up from feeling so down? When will it all get better?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hello Everyone,

I had my surgery 5 days ago. And it's honestly been super tough. My surgery was Monday, and I stayed in the hospital until Thursday. ( no surgical complications, gas wouldn't pass, and throwing up the whole time). Now I am home, and it's tough. My mind still thinks that I am hungry and I know that I am not. It's really difficult trying to transition from eating all the time, to not being hungry at all. I feel that I am starting to become a tad bit depressed. My family doesn't seem to grasp the whole situation and fail to realize that I am alone on this journey. I feel like I've mad a complete mistake with this surgery, but I know it's just my mind overthinking. I'm very happy I've made this choice. Maybe it's me thinking that I'll never be the same again? Which I know that is true, but the same as being the same bubbly personality. It's really a though journey and I honestly didn't think it would be this TOUGH!!! I should've prepared myself mentally for this, I only focused on the physical parts and now I am struggling. I know the outcome will be worth it, but at the moment, I feel I've made a mistake- How do you cheer yourself up from feeling so down? When will it all get better?

Hi there,

I had my gastric bypass this past Wednesday. If you need someone to talk to, I am here. Things will get better.

Sent from my SPH-L710T using the BariatricPal App

I think everyone goes through the 'regret phase'. I'm three weeks post op. It definitely gets better. I was also super nauseous and vomited a ton. It finally eased up. I'm finding what I can and can't tolerate.

Fighting the "mental hunger" is very hard. It also does start to get better. Hang in there. I'm happy to chat with you. We could exchange numbers or friend each other on fb or something. You're not alone!

Sent from my SPH-L720T using the BariatricPal App

So sorry you are having a difficult first few days. You are definitely not alone, as you can see from the other folks who have chimed in. The first stage is tough--it's a huge transition; you're recovering from surgery; you're struggling to figure out how the heck you're going to get in all that Water and Protein. And, on top of it, your brain doesn't understand why you're not eating all the stuff you have in the past ("head hunger").

BUT each day is going to get better! I promise. You're going to get into a groove. A couple of weeks from now, you will look back and see how far you've come, and two weeks after that, you'll see you've gotten even further--and so on and so forth.

At about three days post-op, I had that "Oh God, what did I do" moment, and now at 10 weeks out, I would do it all over again in a heartbeat! Best decision I could have made!

You will feel this way, too, soon enough! You have a lot to look forward to! Just ride the wave! ❤️

I'm 3 days post op haven't had the nausea but I FEEL LIKE IM STARVING! I'm doing ok getting my Protein in but I've been crying a lot maybe a little self pity but I'm just praying it gets a little better each day. The end prize will be worth it and it also really helps me when I look at before & after posts. Since we are beginning this journey together I would love to be friends on Facebook or exchange phone numbers & support each other I've not really got anyone to talk to about my journey. I'm 49 sw 280 cw 26?

Hello Everyone,

It can definitely be tough. Head hunger is real and can be hard to work through. Just keep sipping on your Water and Protein shakes and try to rest to let your body heal. It takes a huge toll on your body and emotions. I have been more easily irritated and emotional since surgery a few weeks ago.

Sent from my SM-G930P using the BariatricPal App

Hang in there. I'm about 5 weeks out. I ran the whole gamut of emotions for pretty much the first 2.5 weeks. From excited to pissed off to upset to questioning everything. This first part can suck. Just go day by day. Get in a routine on when to eat and drink. If you aren't up to your plans protein/ Water guidelines, keep adding to your routine slow and steady. You will get to better days.

On lifting your spirits? Do something special for your self, get a manicure or pedicure, buy a new pair of shoes sit in the sun shine take a walk, color in a book, mediation get you hair cut, massage ( professional or by your SO) soak in a tub if you are allowed. Pick some flowers or buy a bouquet of flowers, take a drive. Play some slots, take some citrus type fruit , cinnamon and slow cooker it on the stove to make the house smell good. Citrus can be up lifting.

Just find an activity that you enjoy and do it even if you feel crappie. Get out of the house it can really change your mood.

Just find an activity that you enjoy and do it even if you feel crappie.

I love the way you spelled "crappie" --it looks so damn perky :)

Thank You Everyone, I really

Appreciate these words so much!!!! I guess this is just the biggest change that has happen to me in my 22 years of living.

I had my surgery Monday also I had a quick recovery minus the gas trapped in my shoulder major pain. My hardest part so far is wondering if pain in full or recovery still. Are you able to get your Protein in.

Sent from my LG-H830 using the BariatricPal App

Honestly, I do not think I have been getting as much Protein I need in at all. Tomorrow I am buying the Carnation Breakfast shakes and I'm going to give those a try.

Get core power elite 42 grams and the light I have crunch 26

Sent from my LG-H830 using the BariatricPal App

That sounds fantastic!!! I will definitely look into that. Thank you for your advice!