Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm curious what everyone's exercise habits are after surgery (of if you have them)? I'm fairly active in life, but getting to exercise is sometimes something my time & energy doesn't allow. Are you a hard core gym rat after surgery? Do you hate exercise and avoid it? Do you begrudingly do it (that's me!) most/some of the time?

So here's mine to start:

Teach yoga (passive stretching) twice weekly

Try (big emphasis on try) to get on the elliptical 2-3 times a week for 30 mins

Belly dance class once a week for 2-3 hours

Added yoga/walking when I can

Before I got really heavy I loved being active. The gym cardio equipment gave me a huge rush, and I love the after effects an hour or two after a good workout. I always felt so good!

My husband is super active. He runs a lot and he hikes. One of my big reasons to have surgery was to get back into shape to join him. Today, I go back to the gym for the first time in ages. I'm excited actually!

I would like to try yoga/pilates once I get fit enough.

Edited by The New Kel

@@GACaldwell

your doing fantastic~!

I have to admit I was a total couch potato before surgery. I got my exercise in only because it was a requirement of surgery.

I started slow and built up.

At three months I had a big stall. It was my wake up call that I had to put more to my workouts. I sold my treadmill and a gym membership.

I'm an emotional stress eater. I changed that behavior into becoming a true gym rat. My best stress relief without guilt ;)

My workout has become an addiction: I never dreamed this was ever possible.

At two years out I still do cardio and hour and weight lifting and hour. 4 times a week.

I trained and ran a half marathon in may.

I teach physical fitness with senior citizens four days a week on top of my own work out. (hand weights, silver sneakers, cardio and resistance band)

I completed a female weight lifting class. I'm learning so much. I am making gains. At my age I'll never be a body builder or bikini model but I do ok for an old fart.

I am a swimmer and usually swim 4-6 times a week for 500-750 yards (depending on how much time I have for a workout). I have also dabbled in jogging, but I sort of have to force myself (unlike swimming which I still get excited about).

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

That's awesome!! But you don't have to be "fit" to do yoga!! I also teach body inclusive classes that are designed for people who are in bigger bodies, older, recovering or new. Most people only know the super thin instagram type yoga people but there are tons of people who do yoga at every size and shape! I don't know about pilates but I do know that yoga can be accessible to everyone so i encourage you to try it! :) My Dr let me go back to it after just 2 weeks and I was so very glad he did because it really helped me mentally and emotionally get through recovery.

I am a swimmer and usually swim 4-6 times a week for 500-750 yards (depending on how much time I have for a workout). I have also dabbled in jogging, but I sort of have to force myself (unlike swimming which I still get excited about).

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I used to belong to a gym that had a pool and I loved swimming as a workout. It's not doable now due to the cost but I do miss it! Jogging sadly is not for me..my body occasionally thinks it wan'ts to but then my knees remind me for DAYS what a bad idea it is. :P

@@GACaldwell

your doing fantastic~!

Aww thanks! Other than the elliptical, I did all that before surgery too.

I'm impressed by you!

That's awesome!! But you don't have to be "fit" to do yoga!! I also teach body inclusive classes that are designed for people who are in bigger bodies, older, recovering or new. Most people only know the super thin instagram type yoga people but there are tons of people who do yoga at every size and shape! I don't know about pilates but I do know that yoga can be accessible to everyone so i encourage you to try it! :) My Dr let me go back to it after just 2 weeks and I was so very glad he did because it really helped me mentally and emotionally get through recovery.

@@GACaldwell,

Thanks for that info! I would love to start now. I just need to check around and see if my town has a class for 'fat ladies', lol! I would HATE to be the one fat lady in the class!!