Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oh for f**k's sake!

So, was having a grand old time with the new bf going out to eat, and all that fun stuff with food. Then I noticed last week in particular that my clothes are getting tight...and that won't do at all. I decide to take myself in hand and get back to where I needed to be. Did just that....and gained even more weight. What the hell??? Even friends and co-workers are noticing the gain. They say I look good now...not so drawn. But all I know is that some of my favorite clothing is too tight and I refuse to go back there.

A fill I think. Maybe I need another fill. But no...I know that's not it. I'm not walking around hungry all the time. So what's up?

Steroids. It's steroids my friends.

My rheumatologist perscribed oral steroids low dose for me about six weeks ago to see if that would help with my pain and discomfort from the joint disease. I'm not sure if it's working or not...I feel better sometimes but not all the time. Not when I used to get 'the good stuff' from my pain management doctor to help me break a pain flare. But the light suddenly went on over my head and I just looked up side effects and there it was: weight gain.

That sucks. I'm gaining weight and it has nothing to do with food. What crap is that?? Gonna have to have a conversation with the rheumatologist when I see him later this month. He better not tell me to eat less...or I might just bite HIS head off... :lol:

Happened to me on a blood pressure med. I feel your pain. But my gain was pre WLS but I still feel your pain

GW, that so many things in life are a trade-off is a bittch. Knowing nothing about steroids, i hope the rheumatologist can adjust the dosage or prescribe an alternative. You don't really want to bite the doctor's head off. It probably has a too-high fat content.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

Oh yes......and it can get bad. I refuse to take them anymore unless I a, absolutely so miserable that I cannot function.

They actually cause a lot of weight gain in the neck and face. I call it bloating and it sucks.

I am sorry you are having such pain. Maybe there is another option for you? Just remember if you do go off you need to ween off.

Steroids are a NIGHTMARE

Can you get injections in the joint? I get a shot in my right knee every four months. I no longer need it in my left knee since losing a hundred pounds. No weight gain and it's a blessed relief for several months.

JustWatchMe

Thanks for the info my cyber friends. My doc wants to start me on prednisone and I'm trying to say let's wait.

I hear swelling and hunger.... and it scares me. Not quite ready for the trade off until she insists.

What say the goddesses?

Edited by Julie norton

Yeah...prednisone. That's what I'm on.

I think maybe I'll consider titrating off it and see if the pain worsens to where it's hard to function. That's the problem with chronic pain as all you good friends know. It skews perception and it's hard to know what is tolerable and what is not.

Thanks for the feedback and support!

Ugh! I know how you must be feeling. You work so hard at watching what your eating and then BAM medical issues....I live there, and it stinks.

This is the worst time of the year for arthritis pain. Sometimes...I have heard that if you are on the steroids long term, eventually the "bloating" goes away, but I can't say that with any confidence. I know any time I have been put on them I have gained major weight no matter what I was eating or not eating! :(

Just keep living life and being happy that's the best revenge against everything, maybe stick a twinkie in the Dr.'s pie hole if he tells you to eat less.