Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've Talked Myself Out of It so Many Times...

Sleeve currently scheduled for 10/26. I keep thinking that I can do this on my own and I'm a wimp for needing surgery to eat healthier and feel better, even though I've tried and tried with minimal success. I was doing ok until about 3 years ago when I had a hysterectomy. After that, the weight PILED back on and it was like I couldn't do anything to stop it.

I'm very nervous about the side effects I'm reading about....dumping syndrome, vomiting (I'm terrified of puking and panic when I do or someone else does - probably a phobia but undiagnosed LOL, so this isn't making me feel excited about the surgery), GERD getting worse, and other issues I read about. I'm also a little nervous about trying to eat around my family. I come from a southern group where food is everything, so it'll be interesting.

It's helped to read the comments from folks who have gone through it and I'm keeping my pre-op appt to sign the surgical waivers.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Sleeve currently scheduled for 10/26. I keep thinking that I can do this on my own and I'm a wimp for needing surgery to eat healthier and feel better, even though I've tried and tried with minimal success. I was doing ok until about 3 years ago when I had a hysterectomy. After that, the weight PILED back on and it was like I couldn't do anything to stop it.

I'm very nervous about the side effects I'm reading about....dumping syndrome, vomiting (I'm terrified of puking and panic when I do or someone else does - probably a phobia but undiagnosed LOL, so this isn't making me feel excited about the surgery), GERD getting worse, and other issues I read about. I'm also a little nervous about trying to eat around my family. I come from a southern group where food is everything, so it'll be interesting.

It's helped to read the comments from folks who have gone through it and I'm keeping my pre-op appt to sign the surgical waivers.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Im from the south as well and have the same thoughts about eating around family. I finally set a date for Oct 29th and I'm very nervous myself. I will be having it done in Mexico with Dr. A. The only advice I can give you is research and get a good support system. Good luck and best wishes.

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

I understand where you are coming from I would lose weight and it comes back with vengeance ,I have done every diet I could think of yea I lose the weight but comes back. I want the surgery as well I am a little scared but I will go through with it. I have been over weight all my life and for once I want to lose this weight and keep it off,I'm

58 and I want to get down to wear smaller clothes. You going to be all right just look at it like a gift that was long time common be blessed

I dealt with that feeling of "I'm taking the easy way out" early on, or some shame about why I couldn't just do it by willpower when I perceived others could. But the fact is, when you look at the statistics...obese people almost never lose the weight and keep it off. It's exceptionally rare, because the body has adapted in so many ways that fight against a return to "normal." It makes it almost impossible and a colossal test of will.

Once I started getting educated on the effects of obesity and the effects of WLS, I started to realize that even if I had the surgery, it would still be me modifying my behaviors that would create the lasting weight loss. People fail at it all the time. But the surgery would help eliminate some of the roadblocks that had made it so difficult, both biochemically and otherwise. Obesity is both a mental and physical dysfunction and you attack it on both fronts. Trying to do it on only one front won't work. Surgery helps you handle both fronts.

I am so happy to have it behind me. And just FYI, I haven't thrown up once...and if you follow the rules laid out by your nutritionist and surgeon, it's unlikely you will, either...not unless you have some surgical complication. Just take it easy, follow the rules and you're going to be fine :)

I went through with the surgery because I had recently done JJ Smith's Green smoothie Cleanse and lost 60 pounds. But, I started slipping and gained 48 of the 60 pounds back. As usual, I thought that I can mess up just one day and then get back on track again. Getting back on track became harder and harder and then I realized I couldn't do it on my own. I live in the south and my family loves to eat. We got together over the weekend. I made my big plate, ate what I could, told them that I was taking the rest home and have for lunch the next day. I gave it to my husband once we got into the car to leave. I didn't tell anyone other than my husband and daughter that I got the surgery. I'm just letting them assume that I started doing the GSC again and eating sensibly. Believe it or not, most people don't notice what you eat unless you eat a whole lot, then they talk about you.

Whatever you decide, good luck. Do what's best for you.

Thank you for the comments and support. It's nerve-wracking. I had no issues when ot came to my hysterectomy due to the pain I was in, but this one, for some reason, has me more nervous.

Dumping with the sleeve is rare. More common with the bypass.

I'm 2+ years out, and have never dumped or thrown up. I also have a Sleeve of steel, I can and always have been able to tolerate anything. I do have GERD, but I had it before, so no surprise there. It's controlled with medication. Believe it or not, there are people who have breezed through this without any issues at all. You're mostly going to hear about the problems on these type of support forums, anyway.

Even when some people DO have issues, the common theme seems to be they would still do it over again anyway. It's that life changing. And the good FAR outweighs the bad in most cases!

I am two and half years post op and I have never vomited or had any dumping issues. I never curtailed my social life and when I was out with friends or family no one ever made a big deal out of my eating small portions. Like others have said, most of the time no one even notices what you are eating. If I am off with people who don't know I have had surgery and on the rare occasion someone comments on my small portions I just say I am watching my carbs, or I had a large meal previously.

It's never been an issue.

This surgery has been so life changing and is an amazing gift! I am grateful everyday.

Hi everyone, I read all u guys comments and all what you all say is true. I know we all have been there losing weight and putting it back on. Y'all let me tell y'all being on this liquid diet for this week is one of the hardest I have to do but I know after the surgery I'm going to have to keep doing it so I'm hanging in there I'm on the third day got four more days to go before the surgery

I was told I had diabetes but if I had the surgery I wouldn't have to be put on the meds. I'm SO glad I did it. My surgery was August 9th and I'm already feeling so much better! So far I have not experienced the dumping syndrome, vomiting or panic. At family gatherings I just eat the Protein first and if I have room I'll have alittle veggies but no sweets and I stay away from starches most of the time...I don't need it! And I'm happy about that. It's going to be ok.

Hi,how are you guys coming along ? I had my surgery Tuesday and it went well. I had no pain after the surgery I was noxious a lot but yesterday it stop.I have a couple of concerns one I am getting headach and I am still drinking fluids that's fine with me but the thing that bothers me is I have weight my self and I don't see any lost of weight. Is anyone here has the same as I am having I would have thought sense I am on just doing fluids I thought I should have lost something. Can you all tell me why

Hey how u doing I just had the surgery on the 25 and I thought that I would have a hard time with it. I was so so surprise that I had no pain at all just feeling sick but I never threw up today is Friday and I feel so good. I will say this to my bariatric family Happy Birthday this was said to me just before I went to surgery She told me why she said that today is the first that I'm

starting a new life for myself that's y I want to pass it alone to all of you

Mine was on Wednesday. Went well but ended up staying an extra night due to dry heaving. Luckily, we were able to figure out it was ghe dilaudid. Got home today and besides some pain, so far so good

Meant to add- I also almost talked myself out of it... I should be able to do what others can and lose the weight etc etc. Fact is I haven't, nothing kept working because I would slip somehow. To me the sleeve backs up the new way of eating - a slip causes pain/discomfort and therefore better habits are supported.

My 2c :)

Sent from my SM-G920I using the BariatricPal App