Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Falling off the wagon

Hello, I'm coming up on my 1st year anniversary post op and am slipping like crazy. It's not that I don't want to keep going. It's that I have energy to go out and do more and I'm reverting to old bad habits. Any advice anyone could give me would be so greatly appreciated. I'm in desperate need of a mentor as I still have so far to go :(

Sent from my SM-G930V using the BariatricPal App

I regained twenty lbs two years after surgery. It has been near impossible to take it off. I am still struggling. Remember the more you put back on it will be ten times harder getting it back off. I won't give up. I am back on shakes!

I am doing two shakes most days. I ate almost nothing for a week two months ago and I could definitely tell a difference in restriction.. check out pouch reset, and others will give you more expert advice than mine. Best of luck.

I am doing two shakes most days. I ate almost nothing for a week two months ago and I could definitely tell a difference in restriction.. check out pouch reset, and others will give you more expert advice than mine. Best of luck.

Thank you so much for the help. Good luck to you as well :)

Are you doing a complete liquid diet? I have toyed with the idea of going liquid like the 3 days pre op to try and get back on track. Not sure if I've damaged my stomach size permanently??

I too just had my first year anniversary and I also have a way to go. I am struggling also. I am doing 2 shakes a day but am still hungry. That's when I get into trouble. A few things here and there and then I feel really bad. I worry I have stretched mine also. HELP!

They say this works. Please don't give up. Keep fighting and get back on track!

What works for me when I find myself going off the rails is not the pouch test, but the meat and green veggies test.

3 - 5 days of nothing but lean, unprocessed meat -- no deli meat, no sausage, no bacon, no Jerky -- no sauce, nothing breaded

and

green veggies -- okay to use herbs and spices and a modest amount of healthy fat -- olive oil or grass-fed butter.

Nothing else -- but I allow myself unlimited quantities and eat whenever I want to.

This reeducates me on what hunger really is and what my capacity is. It also stops the cravings for sweets and carbs after about the first two days.

It is very hard to eat only lean meat and green veggies and not lose weight.

After five days of this, I go back to logging all my food and tracking it on myfitnesspal.

Hi Shayla805

I'm 11 months post sleeve surgery and I find myself struggling too. I think it's the combo of looking/feeling so much better and the dullness of everyday, reasonable meals... Also, I've allowed myself to stop doing the things my surgeon told me I needed to do (Protein first, fluids, support, etc.).

My weigh-ins and nutritionist appointments are once a year now and I'm finding that I'm feeling a little untethered. Like I was pushed out of the bariatric support nest too soon.

It's terrifying to feel like I'm slipping back into old behavior. But if I'm honest with myself, that's exactly what I'm doing. I can stop. And you can stop too. Let's make a pact. No matter what, even if we know we are going to eventually eat something crappy, let's eat a serving of Protein first. Just get it in and then move on to whatever else we planned to eat. I think the added protein will eventually curb our cravings and that will help put the brakes on our runaway trains.

Let me know what you think. I'm right where you are. I don't have any magical answers but the protein thing seems to make sense.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hi Shayla805

I'm 11 months post sleeve surgery and I find myself struggling too. I think it's the combo of looking/feeling so much better and the dullness of everyday, reasonable meals... Also, I've allowed myself to stop doing the things my surgeon told me I needed to do (Protein first, fluids, support, etc.).

My weigh-ins and nutritionist appointments are once a year now and I'm finding that I'm feeling a little untethered. Like I was pushed out of the bariatric support nest too soon.

It's terrifying to feel like I'm slipping back into old behavior. But if I'm honest with myself, that's exactly what I'm doing. I can stop. And you can stop too. Let's make a pact. No matter what, even if we know we are going to eventually eat something crappy, let's eat a serving of Protein first. Just get it in and then move on to whatever else we planned to eat. I think the added protein will eventually curb our cravings and that will help put the brakes on our runaway trains.

Let me know what you think. I'm right where you are. I don't have any magical answers but the protein thing seems to make sense.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I think you're right. I will certainly start consuming the protein first like we are supposed to. I keep saying I will get back on the wagon and not each junk too but I posted this a while now and still haven't. I can't even explain why anymore :( thank you so much for responding!! Pact accepted!!

I am 2 years and 3 months out, I have maintained a loss of 125-130 pounds but would love to lose 20 more. I also find myself reverting back to old habits and it is so frustrating. Like you all have said, we know what we need to do so why aren't we?

I mentioned the pouch test to my NUT about a year ago she said no way, you will be too hungry, go back to basics, clean eating, no junk food.

I am seeing a new NUT next week in hopes of making feel excited again. WE CAN DO THIS!