Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Upcoming surgery in Tijuana and I'm scared

I am having gastric serve surgery on 10/21/16 and I'm very scared. I thought my BFF was accompanying me but she is unable to at the last minute so I will have to go alone. I'm terrified. Dr Fernando Garcia is my doctor. I'm just lost right now. I leave on 10/20/16 from louisiana and I'm so overwhelmed! Was so excited but so scared to go aloned

I ended up going alone to mine. My wife and kids moved ahead of me out of state, but I had gone through this almost year-long process preparing to have this surgery and all the requirements were met, and I have a job here, so I've stayed. But my wife wasn't able to get out here until the evening, and my procedure was in the morning. I'm a bit of an old hand at at abdominal surgery though, this was my third. So I was comfortable with the process. The thing is, there's nothing your friend can really do to help, except talk to you before you go in...and after that, the focus will very much be on getting fluids in and walking as much as you are able, to get the gas to move out and speed your healing...and sleep. You'll do a fair amount of that. A couple days later, they'll probably discharge you and you'll head back home. You'll be walking under your own power, but you'll want to use a cart for your bag. Don't carry anything heavy.

You can do it! It's not ideal, of course...but the situation hasn't changed that much. You're still the one being operated on, you're still the one who has to undertake the recovery, and the battles that you'll fight will be in your own head. So don't be discouraged or scared, most of it isn't any different without company...and you'll be even stronger having done it on your own. You can take pride in that.

Edited by PorkChopExpress

I am having gastric serve surgery on 10/21/16 and I'm very scared. I thought my BFF was accompanying me but she is unable to at the last minute so I will have to go alone. I'm terrified. Dr Fernando Garcia is my doctor. I'm just lost right now. I leave on 10/20/16 from louisiana and I'm so overwhelmed! Was so excited but so scared to go aloned

I am having my sleeve with Dr. Garcia on 10-20-16 and I'm from Slidell, Louisiana. So I will see you in a few days! I'll be your new BFF there. :-)

Sent from my SM-G930V using the BariatricPal App

How COOL is this!! No BFF until now!! You both can help each other on your Journies!!! My hubby had his Sleeve in Mexico in June...he could have done it all NOT that I would have let him!!!! I was so scared for hum due to past WLS's!! Bad stuff but anyhow you two can take care of each other!! You both will have a bond like no other. AWESOME!!!

How COOL is this!! No BFF until now!! You both can help each other on your Journies!!! My hubby had his Sleeve in Mexico in June...he could have done it all NOT that I would have let him!!!! I was so scared for hum due to past WLS's!! Bad stuff but anyhow you two can take care of each other!! You both will have a bond like no other. AWESOME!!!

That is so sweet. Thank you.

I am having my sleeve with Dr. Garcia on 10-20-16 and I'm from Slidell, Louisiana. So I will see you in a few days! I'll be your new BFF there. :-)

Just checking to see how it went, and how you are doing. I am in Lafayette, LA and started the process, lately started thinking of going your route and going to Mexico, like you I don't have a BFF to go with me. Feel free to write me at Ginsin007@aol.com and give me any scoop if you so desire. Hope you met up with the other Louisiana girl going, hope all went well too. :)

Just checking to see how it went, and how you are doing. I am in Lafayette, LA and started the process, lately started thinking of going your route and going to Mexico, like you I don't have a BFF to go with me. Feel free to write me at Ginsin007@aol.com and give me any scoop if you so desire. Hope you met up with the other Louisiana girl going, hope all went well too. :)
We did meet up! I also texted her pictures of everything because I got there a day before her. We both had a wonderful experience. I saw so many doctors and nurses before and after the surgery. Well taken care of. Our driver worked for all the doctors in Tijuana and he said that he felt Dr. Garcia was the best and that is why he had his wife have her surgery with him. The anesthesiologist told me that he performs 80-100 surgeries a month and is excellent. He had performed over 6000 and is also a professor at the college. Here is a picture of Angel and I. post-301551-14775815088045_thumb.jpg

I am so glad you both got to meet up. Like I said before you both will have a bond like no other. I sure wish my hubby could have had his surgery with this group of people. It sounds like it is so much better than what we had. My hubby did check this site out but when BeLiteWeight got a hold of him he figured that the higher costing DR would have been a better choice. Man are we sorry now. Again I'm so happy you both had such a great experience.

Thanks for sharing. How long did it take you to set up and appt in Mexico? I have started process here been to initial seminar, met with Dr., got tester for H Pylori, did two weeks of antibiotics, had an endoscopy. I am self paying, and already spent about $1500. The surgery amount is like $11,000 but with more adding on it's getting to be way more than expected here. Thanks for your help.

Sent from my SM-G900H using the BariatricPal App

You can set up surgery in Mexico almost immediately. I went with Bariatric Pal and got a date that just gave myfriend and I (we went together) long enough to do 2 weeks presurgical diet. Dr talked to us the same day we inquired and we had the pre-surgical questionnaire, nutrition consult etc all done in a few days.Many of us would tell yuo that you would in no way regret going Mexico, saving a lot of money and getting the most wonderful care. For us it was better than anything we could have received locally if we had had ins that would have paid.

How long did it take you to schedule your surgery?

Thanks, I filled out my history online yesterday. They are quick at responding. They said they even had openings for November if needed. I have a seasonal business, and will be busy Thanksgiving and Christmas. I told them I am looking for around January 10th. Wish I would have gone this route from the get go. I could have gone in October instead of wasting so much time and money trying here in the states.