Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 6 days post op and my parents are on my case about going to walk every single f****** day! I just had surgery, I'm weak, I don't feel well enough to get up and walk in this hot sunny south Florida! I want them to let me do what I feel comfortable in doing and stay out of my business! I'm tired of it!

Anyone else deal with this? Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Tell them you'll walk but at the mall or in air conditioning. You love them but a might weak. Ask them to walk slowly with you, nobody should expect marathons yet. Tell them that's a city in Fla., not your name! Tell them to ease up they might worry that you'll clot up. While sitting keep your feet and ankles flexing, do what you feel you can.

. All else fails sick the nurses and doctors on them.

Sent from my S55 using the BariatricPal App

Aw, nothing makes me want to stay inside more than the idea of blazing sun!! Walking is needed every day to keep your energy up, but don't make yourself suffer. I have a fit bit, and it will let you know if you are moving enough, you can also set alarms to remind you To move, or drink etc. just doing this allowed me to log 2-3 km a day in steps without any discomfort. Walking is walking no matter where you do it. Hang in there, it gets so much better

You have to walk postop. It helps to prevent blood clots. 2. It helps you recover faster. I live in Georgia so I know about the heat and humidity too. It's not a marathon. 15mins an hour every hour. Even if it's inside the house.

I'm 6 days post op and my parents are on my case about going to walk every single f****** day! I just had surgery, I'm weak, I don't feel well enough to get up and walk in this hot sunny south Florida! I want them to let me do what I feel comfortable in doing and stay out of my business! I'm tired of it!

Anyone else deal with this? Any advice?

Walking is critical. If it is too hot to walk outside, then walk around the house. You don't need to hike but you do need to move.

My surgeon's one fatality was from someone who didn't move when he got home from surgery. His well-meaning family wouldn't let him get up and insisted on doing everything for him. He died of blood clots.

Even if they are annoying, it sounds like your family loves you very much.

Check out Leslie Sansone, I believe she has videos on you tube as well as dvd's that are indoor walking videos. Don't push yourself too much till you heal a bit more but these are great for walking indoors when it's too hot outside. Do try to move hourly though so that you don't run risk of blood clots.

@@jtellechea001 First, I'm sorry that you're not feeling great. Recovering from surgery is tough, it is. But remember: you're tougher than you think you are! You've got this, girl! You have to listen to your body, but you also have to remember that you are stronger than you think you are too. :)

Your family means well, although my guess is that the message may be lost in the delivery. You have to advocate for yourself, most importantly.

I agree with most of the folks on here. You DO have to get up and move, no matter what. Blot clots are a real possibility, and mobility is very important. Just moving SOME is important. I would be very clear with your family: Tell them you will get up and walk, but you will do what you can do today and tomorrow, you will add a little bit more, and the day after that a little bit more. Maybe today you can walk to the end of the street. Tomorrow, the end of the street plus the next mailbox. As long as there is a little bit of progress each day, that's what is important.

It is YOUR body and YOU measure your success. Maybe keeping a chart so that you can see your progress each day, and even show THEM your progress each day would be helpful? You don't owe it to anyone, but visualization and seeing progress is always a great form of motivation - being able to see your success.

I hope you feel better each day. You can rock this! :)

Walking is an important element in your recovery and program. There is nothing to say you can't get your steps in by walking inside in your home. Break it down into 5 minute blocks and try to do two of them your first week and increase it by two more in week two, three, etc. If you have a pedometer or fitbit it can keep fairly reliable track for you and record your progress online.

Don't let your parents or others get you down! Just take care of yourself by taking care of yourself and following YOUR program.
bodyweight.png?ts=1476641528

My mom constantly watches over me while I eat and remeasures my food. Day 3 of phase 3 and I don't know how Im gonna make it.

How old are you? I assume you are an adult (or close to it).

Is there a reason she thinks it is ok to micromanage your life. Have you abdicated responsibility for your life to her. This sounds like a great time to gently set some boundaries.

Well unless she is going to prepare all your meals and be with you every second of the day forever, she needs to let you handle this. It's your life and what you choose to put in your mouth is your business.