Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My First Real Test, 6 Weeks Post-Op

So I'm on a one week business trip in Europe from home in Canada. I've only been gone a day and am quickly realising that when I am not in an environment I can control, that I'm still more susceptible to temptation than I'd experienced so far. Planes have always been a relaxing wine-filled event for for me, and eating out every meal with all the smells and temptations is going to test my resolve. I've been on full solids for 2 weeks now as cleared by my surgeon, and am tolerating everything I've tried, so really the only thing that is off-limits is what I choose, not what my body can handle. Good, then I'll take this as a test..Determined to not get off track!

On the plus side, the 24 lbs I've lost so far meant a much more comfortable red-eye flight...The seat was roomier, the dinner tray fit better, the seatbelt was pulled much tighter than before. I was more energetic on the long airport walks carrying my heavy carry-on, also due to my daily walking :)

I travel a lot for work. Before I started my six month pre-op diet, plane drinking was one of my favorite pastimes. But, like you, not needing a seatbelt extender, having more space in the seat (even in first class), and a functional tray table is SO much better!

Enjoy your trip!

Not going stellar so far, but hoping I can make this work ok now that the jetlag is over at least. Yesterday I ate the wrong foods and today I didn't eat at all until 8pm. Hoping the work event menus are manageable.

It's been a difficult week. lunch was catered, and team dinners had limited menu, so I had to eat what I was served, and it wasn't what I would have chosen. Portion sizes were very difficult to judge without being able to weigh and measure so early in my journey. I threw up a couple of times this week.

I also 'slimed' for the first, second, third and even fourth time this week :( If you're not sure what it means be happy. If it happens you'll know, trust me. No explanation needed.

I'm pretty sure I may have also gained a bit this week. Tomorrow I fly home...Can't wait to get back in a routine and on track. I think I may eat gentle foods for a few days as this has been hard on my new little sleeve.

Also it was very difficult to keep it hidden that I'm not eating much, stretching out my meal and pushing food around on my plate. But I've managed, and no one seems to suspect my secret.

I'll take this as a test..Determined to not get off track!

@@Shell Renewed

it can be hard to eat correctly/wisely away from home :blink:

this is your first "test"

do YOUR best for now, that's what matters

"hope for the best, expect the worst"

losing 24 lbs

NSV's with the flight

sitting more comfortably

dinner tray

seat belt

more energy

both airplane ride, and your new life

up up and away

good luck

kathy

congrats

It's been a difficult week. lunch was catered, and team dinners had limited menu, so I had to eat what I was served, and it wasn't what I would have chosen. Portion sizes were very difficult to judge without being able to weigh and measure so early in my journey. I threw up a couple of times this week.

I also 'slimed' for the first, second, third and even fourth time this week :( If you're not sure what it means be happy. If it happens you'll know, trust me. No explanation needed.

I'm pretty sure I may have also gained a bit this week. Tomorrow I fly home...Can't wait to get back in a routine and on track. I think I may eat gentle foods for a few days as this has been hard on my new little sleeve.

Does your work give you the opportunity to give any dietary restrictions you have beforehand in situations like this? Mine has always done that and whoever is coordinating the event always work with those that have dietary needs in one way or the other.

Hi @@blizair09,

They do, but I'm keeping my surgery secret. There was no way to specify my diet without it seeming unusual. I just got home now though and I didn't gain. My stomach is finicky from a few days of eating foods that didn't sit well, but I'll eat Soups and other easy foods tomorrow now that I'm home :)

Michelle

Does your work give you the opportunity to give any dietary restrictions you have beforehand in situations like this? Mine has always done that and whoever is coordinating the event always work with those that have dietary needs in one way or the other.

Thanks @proudgrammy. You genuinely made my day. I was a bit discouraged this week and your note really cheered me and helped me keep perspective.

I'll take this as a test..Determined to not get off track!

@@Shell Renewed

it can be hard to eat correctly/wisely away from home :blink:

this is your first "test"

do YOUR best for now, that's what matters

"hope for the best, expect the worst"

losing 24 lbs

NSV's with the flight

sitting more comfortably

dinner tray

seat belt

more energy

both airplane ride, and your new life

up up and away

good luck

kathy

congrats

I had to travel for work this week. I had several questions about why I was eating and drinking the way that I was. I was semi open. I showed them a picture of me from last September in Hawaii and explained that I've changed my eating habits and lost over 50 pounds. I explained that I had a stomach surgery where I had an ulcer removed (true) and I was surprised at how little food I really needed (also true) so I've continued to eat that way. I was eating smoked brisket from a rib joint, egg and bacon, ham, meatloaf, meatballs at an Italian food joint, toppings off of a single slice of pizza, etc. As for the drinking I explained that I stop 1/2 an hour before and drink 1/2 an hour after because I eat so little that if I drink then I'm hungry again shortly after eating or I feel bloated. Nobody questioned wls.

I've only had one person ask if I've had 'help' with my weight-loss and I've denied it. I'm such a private person and for me it's an easier path to learn to tell little white lies if I need to, though I don't like to do that.

Happy for your progress @!

I had to travel for work this week. I had several questions about why I was eating and drinking the way that I was. I was semi open. I showed them a picture of me from last September in Hawaii and explained that I've changed my eating habits and lost over 50 pounds. I explained that I had a stomach surgery where I had an ulcer removed (true) and I was surprised at how little food I really needed (also true) so I've continued to eat that way. I was eating smoked brisket from a rib joint, egg and bacon, ham, meatloaf, meatballs at an Italian food joint, toppings off of a single slice of pizza, etc. As for the drinking I explained that I stop 1/2 an hour before and drink 1/2 an hour after because I eat so little that if I drink then I'm hungry again shortly after eating or I feel bloated. Nobody questioned wls.