Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I really don't remember a point in my life where I started gaining weight. I was always bigger with the sentence "she'll grow out of this chubby phase soon" whispered above my head.

Getting into high school I remember having to look for a desk that I could fit into easily, problem was, some classrooms only had older desks and I was left with my gut taking up most of my table.

You would think I would do something, recognize that this wasn't okay. But I was confident, and very social, I had earned a fantastic network of friends. But just friends. I made it to 18 before I had anything close to a real boyfriend. I didn't feel like I deserved more then just one night of a guys attention, I didn't how wrong I was.

The only people that ever really bullied me were my own grandparents, with traditional my figure was the butt of the rude and hurtful joke, and constant scrutiny. Even to go as far as me telling them I was going intertubbing with friends only to have my grandfather literally grab my stomach fat and say "good thing you have your own tube"

I didn't speak to them for over a year after that.

My mom and father were both over weight, my father was fairly active and my mother worked a lot.

Fast food and quick diner dinners and take out was the daily norm for us. Causing food to be what brought us together. The best way I can put it is where other peoples family's went on walks or hikes, or maybe they snowboarded. The could have liked to go hunting! But my family would literally drive for an hour just to go get f*+king doughnuts.

(That I miss dearly)

My mom decided to have Bariatric sleeve surgery and had amazing success, one night about 6 months post op he tried her hardest to ask me if I wanted to have the surgery too without hurting my feeling.

I immediately said yes and we filled out an application that night

June 25th 2015. Surgery day.

I felt more prepaid then most others in the room looked. I had a first hand play by play that I had my mom tell me everything was going to be fine.

I don't remember much after changing into the hospital robe, I remember waking up my mom was there, drinking her Protein Shake, like always. I was in pain, it felt like someone had drug me around by my hands and had dislocated my shoulders from my arms.

Every time I swallowed I felt a sharp pain. But soon the pain meds started to help and within three hours I was up and walking, I crunched happily on ice and eventually some apple juice that I swear was made from what ever kind of apple eve ate cause damn.

By the 4th day I wanted food, SOMETHING TO CHEW I had been put on a 14day liquid diet pre op.

And we all know how post op goes so I was stuck with the soft stuff, best thing I've found is a no flavor Protein powder, I have one that has 30mg protein per table spoon, I'd mix a table spoon with some baby food and have it for dinner around week 3. Week 4 I had some sliced turkey brest and part of a piece of orange (not a good plan)

Slowly I re introduced foods and started becoming more active and seeing the lbs fall off.

Today I am 176lbs. I feel happy and beautiful and healthy and I can't wait to see how much farther I'll go!

Great story. I was picked on by kids my age growing up and teased for being bigger, and it can all really add up to demolish your self-esteem...and then weirdly, we end up becoming what they say we are. It just starts a vicious cycle that it is tremendously hard to get out of. We're doing it, though! You've achieved a lot, congratulations. I can't wait to join the ranks of those who've reached their goals, after suffering for so long.

You look radiant in all three, truth be told. You seem like a happy person, you've enhanced yourself now. :) looking gorgeous. At 56 I can hear it like yesterday, when I was a kid my grandmother always saying how beautiful and cute my bff was (she was tiny). Everything I'd try and eat she'd say don't you want to be like Rachel? Thanks for sharing your story, because many have been through things like that. My friend's dad would call him Lardass when wearing his Jordache jeans he said, back in the day. He has many self esteem issues. Congratulations!

Sent from my SM-G900H using the BariatricPal App

Definately agree with Ginsin007, you looked great in all 3 pics. There is a huge transformation though and you look a lot younger! Congradulations on the journey. Now if I can only figure out the "look younger" part for myself..

@ RoachBug I think you after pic makes you look years younger! You are lucky to be in Ohio, I miss the great parks and season changes there. Lived in Mentor and Lakewood in another life.

Sent from my SM-G900H using the BariatricPal App

Thanks for sharing linseeka, you look awesome !

I really don't remember a point in my life where I started gaining weight. I was always bigger with the sentence "she'll grow out of this chubby phase soon" whispered above my head.

Getting into high school I remember having to look for a desk that I could fit into easily, problem was, some classrooms only had older desks and I was left with my gut taking up most of my table.

You would think I would do something, recognize that this wasn't okay. But I was confident, and very social, I had earned a fantastic network of friends. But just friends. I made it to 18 before I had anything close to a real boyfriend. I didn't feel like I deserved more then just one night of a guys attention, I didn't how wrong I was.

The only people that ever really bullied me were my own grandparents, with traditional my figure was the butt of the rude and hurtful joke, and constant scrutiny. Even to go as far as me telling them I was going intertubbing with friends only to have my grandfather literally grab my stomach fat and say "good thing you have your own tube"

I didn't speak to them for over a year after that.

My mom and father were both over weight, my father was fairly active and my mother worked a lot.

Fast food and quick diner dinners and take out was the daily norm for us. Causing food to be what brought us together. The best way I can put it is where other peoples family's went on walks or hikes, or maybe they snowboarded. The could have liked to go hunting! But my family would literally drive for an hour just to go get f*+king doughnuts.

(That I miss dearly)

My mom decided to have Bariatric sleeve surgery and had amazing success, one night about 6 months post op he tried her hardest to ask me if I wanted to have the surgery too without hurting my feeling.

I immediately said yes and we filled out an application that night

June 25th 2015. Surgery day.

I felt more prepaid then most others in the room looked. I had a first hand play by play that I had my mom tell me everything was going to be fine.

I don't remember much after changing into the hospital robe, I remember waking up my mom was there, drinking her Protein shake, like always. I was in pain, it felt like someone had drug me around by my hands and had dislocated my shoulders from my arms.

Every time I swallowed I felt a sharp pain. But soon the pain meds started to help and within three hours I was up and walking, I crunched happily on ice and eventually some apple juice that I swear was made from what ever kind of apple eve ate cause damn.

By the 4th day I wanted food, SOMETHING TO CHEW I had been put on a 14day liquid diet pre op.

And we all know how post op goes so I was stuck with the soft stuff, best thing I've found is a no flavor Protein powder, I have one that has 30mg Protein per table spoon, I'd mix a table spoon with some baby food and have it for dinner around week 3. Week 4 I had some sliced turkey brest and part of a piece of orange (not a good plan)

Slowly I re introduced foods and started becoming more active and seeing the lbs fall off.

Today I am 176lbs. I feel happy and beautiful and healthy and I can't wait to see how much farther I'll go!

What a wonderful inspiring story! Can you tell me what type of unflavored protein you use? I hope to be as successful as you!

Sent from my SPH-L720T using the BariatricPal App