Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric sleeve complications years after surgery?

HI I have been reading about people having complications right after gastric sleeve surgery, but I was wondering are there any people that have had complications after 2 years and beyond after having the gastric sleeve surgery and if so what complications are you having?

None so far for me but I do know that reflux is a common issue that can crop up down the road. It is reason some sleevers convert to a bypass.

Edited by erp

complications 2 years and beyond after having the sleeve surgery

@@Gina42

NO

having heartburn/gerd PO after sleeve happens a lot :wacko:

some people might be heartburn free for a while

then develop it after a period of time (one year, two, etc)

i am two (2) months shy of 5 years PO sleeve

never had gerd!!

good luck

kathy

HI I have been reading about people having complications right after gastric sleeve surgery, but I was wondering are there any people that have had complications after 2 years and beyond after having the gastric sleeve surgery and if so what complications are you having?

Everyone is different but I'm 4 years post op and dying of gerd and sharp pain possible hernia. I will be getting a revision this year

Sent from my Z981 using the BariatricPal App

I'm 6 years out and No complications. Like others mentioned, GERD and Vitamin deficiencies are the most common long term complications of VSG I saw in my support group. GERD can usually be controlled with medication and diet, but sometimes requires revision to bypass. I have yet to meet anyone that developed Vitamin deficiencies that were taking the required supplements and having bloodwork done regularly.

Much less common long term complications that I've seen in my support group through the years were dumping (although much more common with bypass and usually controllable with diet) and reactive hypoglycemia.

There were far more long term complications in my group for people with Lapband or any of the bypasses.

I'm finding that I have to do some research on my own. I also ask a lot of questions. Typically you see low potassium levels if you have vomiting and frequent stools. But the body still needs more that what we give it so typically the surgeon puts you on Vitamins.< /p>

One other complication is gallstones, but that isn't just the sleeve but anyone who loses weight fast, typically a vlcd of 800 cal.

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

No Gerd, just weight gain. Scariest thing ever. I do also get a muscle cramp in my abdominal area which takes about 15-20 seconds to ease. I get it whenever I do anything strenuous with my stomach like crunches

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm almost 5 yrs post op and having excessive burping that could be either an ulcer or a hernia, we're not sure. I'm about to start doing testing and currently starting on Carafate a couple days ago.

Prior to now, I've had an incredibly easy complication free experience with easy weight loss and return to normal live. I'm happy with my choice to have this operation however if you continue to look on the site you will see folks with other complications late stage like addisons disease and thyroid issues so it isnt bullet proof :_

best of luck!

Hello All,

I am new to BariatricPal. I was sleeved in 2015 (Jan) and ever since that day I have been nauseous, I've had heartburn and little to no appetite. I am in the process of possibly getting a revision, if that will help with all of the afformentioned. I barely eat or drink and I am hoping my surgeon will order tests to better understand my situation. I have searched for what I was experiencing and the only thing I learned was that others are or were having the same complications, but received no explanation from their doctors.

At this point I am wondering if my complications are serious enough for my insurance to cover the costs.

I'm about 18 mos. post-op VSG and I am starting to get diarrhea soon after after eating sugary foods. It starts about 20 min after eating. It happened once after eating *1* micro-mini-cupcake! Luckily I'm ok if I avoid those foods, which is easy to do (and getting easier due to the unpleasantness of the effect!).