Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kaiser Questions

So I started the process today, met with intake. They had me call the Finance Counselors. I had already used the estimator on KP.org, so I was expecting 4 to 5k out of pocket. The counselor says no, it's 14k. They break it up into 36 payments of 338, which is after paying 2k just to schedule the surgery. Is that normal?

I mean that's a car payment...I was okay with this when the estimator said the 4-5k. I'm not so sure I can put this financial burden on my family, even for the sake of my health.

Is anyone aware of options I can look into? I'm in Colorado if that makes a difference.

I'm with Kaiser in Northern California and the cost is covered with a $250.00 co-pay.

Wow. can location seriously be that big a difference? That's crazy to think in one state it's 250 copay and in another state it's 14,000...

Southern California here and I'm also $250

Oooh silly me LoL Kaiser question means your insurance.. Excuse me.. Sorry.. And Holy sh!t that's crazy for a "co-pay" ????

Munky

Yes, I have Kaiser of Colorado and their plan only covers 50%. What's really frustrating is that I used their estimator which states it uses my plan information to estimate, which I why I started the process. And then they turn around and say 50%. is all they cover and the entire bill is $28,000; so my share would be $14,000, and that's just for the surgery. I still have deductibles for speciality appointments with the doctor, mental health and the classes leading up to the surgery.

It just seems crazy...and I just need to research and see if there is something I am missing.

Well, you can look into going to Mexico. It is a lot cheaper. But I wouldn't suggest BELITE, they send their patients to JUAREZ. The surgeon is amazing but the Hospital really isn't anywhere close to the USA. But I have heard that in Tijuana it is much better. My hubby had his SLEEVE done in Juarez and like I said our experience wasn't too good with the practice of their hospital. It was called STAR MEDICAL or just MED I don't totally remember.

What hospital are you using? Can you use Denver health, Rose, St Joe?

Sent from my SM-G920T using the BariatricPal App

WOW, I know everyone's insurance is different however if my insurance didn't cover my surgery it would be 12500 out of pocket and that would cover everything all appointments also they require half down and then we'll set up the remaining 6000 divid it into payments.. 4 years ago when I had the Lap-Band it came back that my insurance didnt covering the surgery that I wanted which was the sleeve they Said it would be 17000 cash so I ended up paying $9,000 and went with the Lap-Band I wish that I would have done more research and looked at other facilities however I was vulnerable and was desperate for anything now I have to deal with this thing until I can get it out and have the sleeve done...in which I hope is soon!!!!!!

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

What hospital are you using? Can you use Denver health, Rose, St Joe?

It's through St. Jospeh's

Might check the other hospitals to see if it is cheaper.

I am on a platinum plan I purchased through the state exchange (Maryland). My premium (which I take no assistance for) is about $320 a month. I got the higher-end plan because of my health issues. My copay for the surgery was $350 (would have been $250 last year).

It is really late in the year, which means health insurance enrollments will be opening up soon. Do you have the option of changing plans? Maybe see what else is open? Just something to look into. I told my doctor that I wanted a referral for bariatric surgery on my first visit two weeks after I got on the insurance and there was absolutely no problem.

I think it depends on your plan. Maybe you can change your plan during open enrollment? Some plans have $0 co-pays, $25+, and some have deductibles. I'm also in CA, so not sure how the plans work in your state.

Wow. can location seriously be that big a difference? That's crazy to think in one state it's 250 copay and in another state it's 14,000...

I have Kaiser NorCal and I work for a big

Bank that only offers co insurance plans. I enrolled in the best one they offer and I have to pay $2000 which is my individual out of pocket max. We used to have the $250 copay with my hubs

Company but they no longer offer Kaiser.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App