Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Compression Garment?

Could someone please tell me if I will need to or should purchase a compression garment and if so what have you found to work best? How long should you wear them?

They put one on me in the hospital and I've been wearing it since. I'm 6 days post op. It's just a simple abdominal binder. My surgeon claimed it would help with loose skin but I'm not sure I believe that.

According to the instructions I was given: "Wear your TED hose until activity is back to normal. Wear your (abdominal) binder for at least 2 weeks. Your binder is for comfort." In other words after surgery you will experience some pain from moving around. The abdominal binder provides some support and as a result a less painful experience.

The TED hose, or Thrombo-Embolic Deterrent Hose is to help prevent blood clots from forming after surgery.

According to the internet:

TED hose may be prescribed to patients who are non-ambulatory, meaning they are not up and moving around on their own. For these patients, the risk of a blood clot developing in their legs is a main concern for health care providers, as clots can break free and travel through the bloodstream to the lungs, causing a pulmonary embolism. TED hose help reduce this risk by administering pressure on the lower part of the leg and feet – with the most compression occurring at the calf muscle. As patients lay in bed, blood is more likely to pool in the calf, creating the right environment for a clot to form.

TED hose compression levels are measured in mmHg, or millimeters of Mercury, just as we measure our blood pressure. TED hose compression levels are 20 mmHg or below. Patients may wear TED hose for up to three weeks, at which time they are mobile once again or have been prescribed a different treatment to reduce the risk of blood clots.

Could someone please tell me if I will need to or should purchase a compression garment and if so what have you found to work best? How long should you wear them?

I purchased one and never wore it Smh

Dawnie_doo

@@TLW Did you asked your PS? He/she should put one on you in the operating room after surgery. Mine did. His office fitted me with one before and i wore it 24/7 for 6-8 weeks. I only took it off to bath. When i did i would put it to wash and dry and put it right back on. Mine had bra type snaps and a zipper down each side and crotch snaps. Like the pictures attached

I think it's very important to have the best compression garment you can get

post-74134-0-00232400-1476204424_thumb.jpg

post-74134-0-84602800-1476204424_thumb.jpg

I did not know binders existed until after my surgery. It was never discussed to me by any of my team. If I could, I would carry a pillow with me. If my husband had to drive me somewhere and I knew we were on a bumpy road (seriously the roads in the MD side of DC are AWFUL) I would hug the pillow against me. Same if I knew I had to cough. It was never too bad for me, though I had to remind him to take speed bumps the way normal people do and not fly over them at 30mph (lol). All of this lasted for maybe a week and I haven't had need for anything like this again.

My surgeons office said I would be coming home with a binder, I just wasn't sure if I should have another one?

@@KristenLe

Well I feel like a complete moron right now. I don't know how I ended up on this side of the forums lol. I guess that is what I get for trying to do homework and forum-browse at the same time. :P If I could delete my post I would. Just ignore me.

@@KristenLe

Well I feel like a complete moron right now. I don't know how I ended up on this side of the forums lol. I guess that is what I get for trying to do homework and forum-browse at the same time.If I could delete my post I would. Just ignore me.

Lol. You weren't the only one. I only realized it after reading BayouGirls response.

@@TLW I would ask him what type? what does it look like? how long will i have to wear it?

This is just my observation being on this site for 7 years.... the best "end" results have been when a GOOD compression garment was warn. It's kind of like a bra, if you want you girls to stay up and not look at the ground, you wear a good support bra. The garment help keep that stomach tight and in place. Plus i found it help with discomfort.

I had my tt feb 2012 and could not be happier with my results.

http://www.bariatricpal.com/gallery/album/23717-post-tummy-tuck/

If yours looks like this attachment..... get your own. My DIL had this and it was crap

post-74134-0-60087800-1476207558_thumb.jpg

I had to ask for one strangely. They looked at me like I had three eyeballs! As a nurse I know the importance of compression after surgery. I'm not sure why that was strange to them. At any rate it was so helpful and I found that I did not need pain meds very much.

Sent from my SM-N900V using the BariatricPal App

I have learned over 5 surgeries that - If you keep the Micropore tape on it supports the scar whilst it goes through the all important first healing stages and to wear the compression garments (I had design veronique ones which were fabbbb) they also help you to not get swollen, and support everything - I found over time that to keep these on for 10-12 weeks gave me a much flatter and finer scar.

12 weeks sounds a long time but - You only go through this one time - And to get the best result - Putting in those extra few weeks is small fry in the long run.

My first scars - Even 6.5yrs later are soooo not as good as my last scars. As in the beginning I did not know all the tricks - Butlearned along the way :-)

Good luck

I have learned over 5 surgeries that - If you keep the Micropore tape on it supports the scar whilst it goes through the all important first healing stages and to wear the compression garments (I had design veronique ones which were fabbbb) they also help you to not get swollen, and support everything - I found over time that to keep these on for 10-12 weeks gave me a much flatter and finer scar.

12 weeks sounds a long time but - You only go through this one time - And to get the best result - Putting in those extra few weeks is small fry in the long run.

My first scars - Even 6.5yrs later are soooo not as good as my last scars. As in the beginning I did not know all the tricks - Butlearned along the way :-)

Good luck

Do you wear it to bed?

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App