Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why is everyone converting from band to sleeve?

On 10/8/2016 at 0:41 PM, futureskinnybtch said:

Just got the band done and I also know a lot of successful people with a band, why the drastic change? Does the band stop working after so many years, even if you stay on top of your fills?! Just curious.

Sent from my D5803 using the BariatricPal App

I was banded in February of 2010. The first year I did really good. I was unable to eat most foods, but I was so determined to lose the weight that I just dealt with it. I lost almost 60 lbs and then slowly it just stopped coming off, and then the pounds came creeping back on. I have tried fills and unfills and no matter which way I go I either can't eat at all, can't get full, throw up nearly ever single day, sometimes even just Water. Unless it's a slider food, I can't eat it. After spending the last 7 years of my life living with a failed LapBand I am getting a revision to a gastric sleeve.

On 4/30/2017 at 5:47 AM, hmm33502 said:

Yes!!! Me too! I was sleeved in December and haven't looked back! The band has its limitations, but worked decently well for me. When I would near my TOM, my stomach would swell and everything would get stuck. Absolutely NO eating anything healthy. I would eat only slider foods. My teeth were eroding due to vomiting. Acid ruled my life and I would have a panic attack thinking about how many times I would need to run to the restroom when I would go out to dinner with anyone who didn't know the "situation." Since being sleeved in December, I have vomited twice. Once was because I ate too much and one was because I ate rice and it expanded. I only stick to riceless sushi now!

Banded 2010. Sleeved Dec 2016
122 lbs lost

I literally feel like I am readying my own story through all of these posts! I'm so glad to know I'm not alone!!

My band only work so so for me. Then after several years it slipped. I actually felt it move. It was very weird. Gained almost all my weight back. Had to make sure I knew where the bathroom was in every restaurant. After the slip I had to literally sleep sitting up to keep from having violent coughing spells in my sleep. I got no sleep for the last 3 months before my revision. Since revision I sleep beautifully. Have not thrown up or gotten stuck once. I can eat so many things I couldn't eat before. Well really anything. And I'm losing weight again. Even within about two weeks of having the revision I was amazed at how much better I felt just having the band out.

Now with all that said, let me just say, the slip was my fault for over eating and eating the wrong foods. So was the problems after the slip for the most part. So if you will stick rigidly to the diet plan that your dr gives you, you shouldn't have the problems. The band will work if you don't break the rules. It's just got its issues you will learn to deal with. I always felt that if nothing else it prevent me from just getting bigger and bigger for the 6 years I had it. Best wishes to you! Be strong. You can do it. Just do what they say and you'll be fine.

@jbaker5d

Not all band slippage is due to "user error." I got my first band (the one that slipped) during the FDA trial in 1999. It slipped around 2004. When I had a new band put in in 2007 I was told that the early bands weren't put in with some sort of special stitch to hold it in place and that's why it had slipped.

Got the band in 2007 went from 309 to 185 in 1.5 years after about 2 years i was filled to about 5cc and Water gave be reflux I completely unfilled for 2 years and still had the worst reflux the band had erode in my stomach I can no long eat or drink after 5pm and make these achy noises when I'm sleep for over 10 years I REGRET doing this years ago on top the fills are $100 a pop I spent too much on it thus far now I'm back to 265 lbs and need to get it together before I'm back to 300

Got the band in 2007 went from 309 to 185 in 1.5 years after about 2 years i was filled to about 5cc and Water gave be reflux I completely unfilled for 2 years and still had the worst reflux the band had erode in my stomach I can no long eat or drink after 5pm and make these achy noises when I'm sleep for over 10 years I REGRET doing this years ago on top the fills are $100 a pop I spent too much on it thus far now I'm back to 265 lbs and need to get it together before I'm back to 300

Sounds familiar. Is having it removed an option? I cannot express how much better I feel just getting it out.

15 minutes ago, jbaker5d said:

Sounds familiar. Is having it removed an option? I cannot express how much better I feel just getting it out.

yes I will get it out on June 22 and just have the sleeve done at the same time

16 minutes ago, jbaker5d said:

I actually had it done at the same place you went to True Result in Hurst TX location this time opting for Dr Frenzal in Arlington

yes I will get it out on June 22 and just have the sleeve done at the same time

That is what I did. Im SO relieved! No more sleepless nights!

I actually had it done at the same place you went to True Result in Hurst TX location this time opting for Dr Frenzal in Arlington

That's great! I hope you have a good experience.

The band will work if you don't break the rules. It's just got its issues you will learn to deal with.

I can't say that I agree with this. My surgeons rules were to eat lean Protein, veggies, minimal whole grain carbs. I can't eat even 2 bites of chicken, fish, beef, wild game ect (unless they're fried). I've had easily 30+adjustments over the last 7 years. I have had it emptied, and too full and everything in between. For some of us it has absolutely nothing to do with following rules

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

I can't say that I agree with this. My surgeons rules were to eat lean Protein, veggies, minimal whole grain carbs. I can't eat even 2 bites of chicken, fish, beef, wild game ect (unless they're fried). I've had easily 30+adjustments over the last 7 years. I have had it emptied, and too full and everything in between. For some of us it has absolutely nothing to do with following rules

So are unable to lose any weight with it? I agree with you that it doesn't necessarily without issue. I just meant you can actually lose weight with it if you are able to stick to the dieting rules. I also had trouble eating lean meat a lot of times as well as a lot of vegetables. So I resorted to sliders which kept me from losing. I guess I should've worded that differently.

So are unable to lose any weight with it? I agree with you that it doesn't necessarily without issue. I just meant you can actually lose weight with it if you are able to stick to the dieting rules. I also had trouble eating lean meat a lot of times as well as a lot of vegetables. So I resorted to sliders which kept me from losing. I guess I should've worded that differently. [emoji6]

I'm only successful in weight loss when I live on no food, or Protein Shakes. The only real foods​ I'm able to eat are garbage so over the last 7 years I've lost 60, gained 40, lost 40, gained 50, lost 70, gained 50, now I'm down 20 again and trying to hold it off and stick to low low calorie until my revision

I'm only successful in weight loss when I live on no food, or Protein Shakes. The only real foods​ I'm able to eat are garbage so over the last 7 years I've lost 60, gained 40, lost 40, gained 50, lost 70, gained 50, now I'm down 20 again and trying to hold it off and stick to low low calorie until my revision

I understand. My experience too. I guess I just figured if you were in fact able to eat the proper foods it would be successful. All in all I'm SO glad I have revised to the sleeve.

I understand. My experience too. I guess I just figured if you were in fact able to eat the proper foods it would be successful. All in all I'm SO glad I have revised to the sleeve.

If I could eat healthy I'm 100% sure is be successful. Therein lies the problem with the band ha ha. Looking forward to the sleeve