Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any other picky eaters out there?

I'm an admittedly picky eater. Add to that an allergy to seafood and shellfish.

I can't stand eggs and there are several veggies I don't like. (Zucchini, squash, Brussel sprouts all make me want to vomit!)

I see lots of people discuss their daily meal plans centering on eggs and tuna or other fish or shrimp. Any suggestions for picky eaters like me?

I'm post-LapBand pre-RNY revision, and I'm trying to plan way ahead.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using the BariatricPal App

I am assuming you mean Protein suggestions. I eat a lot of chicken and turkey but it has to be moist like rotisserie chicken. I also eat a lot of cottage cheese and low sugar Greek yogurt.

I'm picky now, low carb, no breads, sugars, pastas or rice.

I love anything that swims but obviously that is out for you. I also love anything smoked. The crab that I had at work had gone bad so I hit up a local bbq joint and was pleasantly surprised to find that the sell there meat by the pound as well. I got 1/2 a pound of smoked brisket and 1/2 a pound of pulled pork. One super nice thing is that they don't sauce the meats until after so it is sugar loaded. I paid a whopping $11.

I asked my sweetie to make chicken cordon bleu with pulverized wasa crackers as breading. She also used baby portobello shrooms Greek yogurt and milk as the basis of a sauce that was dang similar to cream of mushroom.

The three most important elements after RNY gastric bypass surgery are to meet your daily Protein, Fluid and Vitamin requirements. food is secondary because your body is converting your stored fat into the energy that drives your body. Thus you lose weight.

Weight loss is achieved after surgery through meal volume control. You begin at 2 ounces (1/4 cup) per meal and gradually over the next year and a half increase the volume to 1 cup per meal. With this minuscule amount of food, it is next to impossible to meet your Protein daily requirements by food alone, so therefore you need to rely on supplements such as Protein shakes.
After surgery, food will not be the center of your life anymore. You may even lose hunger, which is what happened to me after surgery. The effect is not permanent but lasted for over a year. It was not hard losing weight when hunger was not continually gnawing at your bones. So in preparing for RNY surgery realize that your taste buds may change and this may affect your ability to consume the important elements (fluids, protein, and vitamins). The most important advise I can give you is be willing to experiment after surgery to meet those daily goals and don't stress over the food.

I'm not exactly picky but I have a lot of food allergies as well.

The thing I love about the sleeve so far is that I don't get worked up about food- it doesn't always have to be so exciting. It just has to be fuel to move forward in your day. So when you find something that works for you, stick with it and eat it everyday. For me that's grilled chicken, yogurt, cheese. Some days I switch it up but most days, most meals I'm boring af. And it's great.

Like you I also am picky and I am allergic to all seafoods with iodine. I am 3 weeks post op and struggling.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm very picky. Don't care for seafood at all. I will eat tilapia and sometimes tuna but tuna is very hit and miss. Don't eat vegetables to speak of.

I have been trying all sorts of things, even if I didn't care for them before the surgery (I'm also working on the PTSD-type reactions to foods that aren't in my comfort zone with a therapist) and when I find something that works I add it to my repertoire.

I'm also experimenting with Protein ball recipes and other odd ways to get unflavored Protein powder in foods - but the texture goes off for most of it, so it's very hit and miss.

I'm getting Protein thanks to the one flavor/brand of shake I like, cheese, chicken, the two flavors of greek yogurt I can stand, TVP (meat substitutes), Peanut Butter, Beans, ground beef dishes, pulled pork BBQ, Protein Bars, etc. It's not easy. But it's doable.