Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is the sleeve really "just as good"

I went to my surgeon fully prepared to choose bypass surgery and he told me that his sleeve patients are losing the same amount of weight as his bypass patients. And also that he had only preformed one bypass in recent months because everyone was choosing the sleeve.

The sleeve makes me nervous because I am a band failure. I'm not sure I want to do a surgery that is not the "gold standard" bc I'm afraid I will fail at losing weight.

I've met with 3 women that have had weight loss surgery in recent months one that did bypass and is very thin. One a sleeve that is at a healthy weight might need to lose another 15 or so and one that did a sleeve and regained 40lbs recently. THATS what I'm afraid of. After going through so much with the band I want to get this one right!

The sleeve is of course more appealing. I'm hoping you band to sleevers can tell me your thoughts on why you chose the sleeve and if you are happy you did and didn't go to bypass. Also if you believe there's a motive for my surgeon to encourage the sleeve over bypass (easier surgery i.e. Better for him) I'm not a conspiracy person just wondering why and that's in the back of my head.

Thank you so much for your advise!

Regardless of what you choose...you still need to do the work...you still need to manage cravings...you still need to make healthy choices...you still need to exercise..I choose the sleeve and am very pleased with my decision...

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

You are not the only one with the same fear and thoughts I am planning in having the sleeve main reason the though of the hunger hormone being cut out I'd very appealing to me;) I too have had horrible results complications with lap band ugh...This the reason for the revision, I was researching the by pass as well same reason as you!! I know many people that have had the by pass including 4 family members and a few friends out of say 8.. 2 gained their weight back Also, a good friend had the sleeve 2 years ago and has lost 100 lbs although she didnt previously have the band I know truly is on how we change our eating habits a d finding the right tool to help and the band sucked!!! I never found my sweet spot and was ALWAYS HUNGRY!!!! I have read the sleeve complication section and see most people with complications have to have a by pass so..... I'm glad you posted this because it will be interesting to hear more suggestions and I agree I want to get this one right this time...

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

I am 6 years post sleeve and couldn't be happier with my results. I started with a BMI of 50, lost 160 pounds and maintain with a BMI around 22-23. I saw hundreds of WLS patients Come and go through my support group. These included band, sleeve, RNY and DS patients. The one common thread among the success stories was the individual's commitment to their new lifestyle. It is the food choices we make that determine success or failure, not necessarily the type of surgery. I saw just as many failed bypasses as sleeves. The "failures" were the ones that went back to eating the way they did before surgery. No surgery can overcome bad eating habits and sedentary lifestyle. The person you mentioned who regained 40 pounds would have probably done so with bypass as well.

For me, personal therapy was the key to my success. Without the help of my therapist to change my thought patterns and discover new ways to deal with stress and sadness and anger and every other emotion out there, I probably would have failed my VSG, just like I failed every other diet in my life. These mental changes have been far more important to my ability to maintain my loss than my sleeve itself.

Not everyone needs therapy, some are able to conquer their demons alone, but those people are rare. I would suggest taking an honest critical look at why you failed with the band. That will give you a starting point to know what you need to do different moving forward. One of the surgeons in the bariatric group I was with absolutely would not perform any revision surgery unless his patients first underwent extensive therapy with a psychiatrist. Kind of like a 6 month mental preop diet. I guess he didn't want to waste his time with someone who will waste their surgery a second time around. A lot of his patients were pissed about it and some even went to other surgeons, but in the end, the stats of his patients were impressive.

I will leave it up to the revision patients to tell you the specific physical differences between surgeries because I have no personal experience with that. Good luck with your decision.

You are not the only one with the same fear and thoughts I am planning in having the sleeve main reason the though of the hunger hormone being cut out I'd very appealing to me;) I too have had horrible results complications with lap band ugh...This the reason for the revision, I was researching the by pass as well same reason as you!! I know many people that have had the by pass including 4 family members and a few friends out of say 8.. 2 gained their weight back Also, a good friend had the sleeve 2 years ago and has lost 100 lbs although she didnt previously have the band I know truly is on how we change our eating habits a d finding the right tool to help and the band sucked!!! I never found my sweet spot and was ALWAYS HUNGRY!!!! I have read the sleeve complication section and see most people with complications have to have a by pass so..... I'm glad you posted this because it will be interesting to hear more suggestions and I agree I want to get this one right this time...

Hunger hormone returns 12-16 months post surgery according to my doctor.

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

I'm interested to follow this. I'm beginning the process to revise from my band. My surgeon said I could do either, but in his experience RNY was safer post band. He explained on a model of a stomach where the band sits and how the staple line for the sleeve goes directly through where the band was and said that makes it more likely to leak. He showed where the cuts are made for the RNY and how they are below the part affected by the band.

Also, I didn't know this until my support group meeting just this week, but the hunger part that is cut away with the sleeve does grow back eventually. Crazy, huh?

I was hoping for the sleeve because it seemed less involved, but I trust my surgeon completely so if he recommends RNY, RNY it is for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using the BariatricPal App

Fair enough, However, the lap band has been horrible for me I have had it 4 years and have had nothing but complications which has hindered my results. I would never have another surgery if it was anything like the band and I'm sure other Banders with complications would agree on that. That's why It's Important to me to research and become educated on the surgery I choose to have because the band was a tool and it failed I have never been able to eat chicken or turkey veges and have them stay down or even Protein shakes after several adjustment and $$$$ i never had a sweet spot due to continously throwing up my band had slipped defeating the purpose of having it and I again have a hernia, Thats why the tool matters to me. I understand for some they have had great results and no problems with the band that's wonderful ;)

I'm interested to follow this. I'm beginning the process to revise from my band. My surgeon said I could do either, but in his experience RNY was safer post band. He explained on a model of a stomach where the band sits and how the staple line for the sleeve goes directly through where the band was and said that makes it more likely to leak. He showed where the cuts are made for the RNY and how they are below the part affected by the band.

Also, I didn't know this until my support group meeting just this week, but the hunger part that is cut away with the sleeve does grow back eventually. Crazy, huh?

I was hoping for the sleeve because it seemed less involved, but I trust my surgeon completely so if he recommends RNY, RNY it is for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using the BariatricPal App

That's, why I weighing out the options I have read many people that have the revision from band to sleeve have had mostly complications due leaks so they end up having the bypass to correct it. So I was thinking maybe the bypass would be best...

So my hubby had the bypass, I had the sleeve. He is loosing weight faster, I have to work harder and it's slower. BUT, I am getting stronger and healthier by working harder. I can do things I have been able to do in years. The sleeve hasn't effected my meds I have to take for my bipolar. The absorption seems to be the same. My hubby hasn't had complications nor have I, but his recovery time has been longer. I think...for me...the sleeve was the better choice. I am changing my bad habits and learning healthier ones. It's slow, but constant. This is my experience.

Sent from my XT1650 using the BariatricPal App