Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newly banded

Hello everyone

I was banded yesterday. My first day was a little rough. The worst part was the has pain! I expected in my shoulder as everyone has talked a out that but mine was right in the middle of my chest and it hurt sooo bad to take a deep breath all day yesterday. That resolved for the most part over night. I am a side sleeper and sleeping on my back is painful due to an old back injury, so I had a nightmare trying to fall asleep last night and only ended up getting a couple of hours. I was given toradol for pain but it hasn't helped much with making me at all sleepy.

I was hoping I'd experience what a lot of people seem to - that they wake up after surgery and aren't hungry at all and force their fluids down. But sadly I was STARVING yesterday once I got home after surgery. I had broth, melted Popsicles, Water, and my stomach growled all night. I woke up feeling less hungry this morning but it's starting to come back.

I have about 3.5 cc in my band from surgery yesterday. Starting wt 254, goal 175. I sincerely hope I won't be this hungry every day until I'm allowed my first fill. It's miserable!

Anyway - been a long time follower so I thought I'd "join" the group today. I know a lot of people in here have been banded for years and there seems to be less and less new bandsters, but either way it's nice to have a support group when you're new to all of this!

Have a great day. I'll be drinking broth and waking the neighborhood with my tummy growls.

@@jhayden1 Had a successful band for 7 years, and just recently revised to a sleeve (preventive more than necessary) but yes, unfortunately I remember those days before the first fill. Some people had restriction with just the band alone, unfortunately, I was not one of them lol. You'll also be having quite a bit of false hunger sensations and that's from the inside healing and/or acid. Congratz and am excited for you. I loved my band :D

@@Sai - Thanks for the reply Sai! I wasn't sure if anyone would reply lol.

I never really considered that my hungry feelings could be due to healing - hopefully over time they will lessen then! Is this hunger the dreaded "bandster hell"? Lol

Edited by jhayden1

Haha...I never experienced that! You'll do great. To be honest, I know 6 people with bands and none have had any serious issues.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Some of us adore our bands and have had them for years. Others have problems with it.

My experience tells me. Just me. !That I need to keep it a bit under inflated

Or it gets angry. Then I must rest it before beginning again.

I am doing well after 9 1/2 years And hope to keep all the same. Lost about 100 lbs from my highest ever.

Best of luck. This is a nice place to ask questions.

Mostly.... Please don't ask about cheating the band or you will get an earful!!!

I've never heard of "healing hunger" and can't imagine feeling hungry at all right after surgery. But that's neither here nor there.

When I was banded it was still standard to install a band with no saline. That's changed, as you know. It doesn't mean that you won't need an adjustment or perhaps more than one to get your band to the point of being your ideal dance partner. I say this not to discourage you, but so that you know what may come. There is no one-experience-fits-all. I knew one lucky chap whose empty band was all he ever needed.

You may find that, as you meet others with bands, its fun or interesting to compare saline levels. Be aware, though, that the amount of saline in a band means nothing. What is significant is having the amount does the job.

You'll be fine.

Thanks for the welcome/info everyone!

I've also recently been banded, three days ago now. I am having a similar experience, wasn't hungry day of surgery but the next few days I've been drinking broth, shakes and apple juice and although not really physically hungry, constantly having cravings and thinking of food. Today was worse, and I even started eating cottage cheese, apple sauce and Peanut Butter to try and stay full but still constantly drooling at the hubby's meals :( hope I can tough it out til first fill!! Good luck to both of us chicky!

Sent from my D5803 using the BariatricPal App

I've also recently been banded, three days ago now. I am having a similar experience, wasn't hungry day of surgery but the next few days I've been drinking broth, shakes and apple juice and although not really physically hungry, constantly having cravings and thinking of food. Today was worse, and I even started eating cottage cheese, apple sauce and Peanut Butter to try and stay full but still constantly drooling at the hubby's meals :( hope I can tough it out til first fill!! Good luck to both of us chicky!

Wow nice to meet someone with a similar time line!

Let's keep in touch:)

Wow nice to meet someone with a similar time line!

Let's keep in touch:)

Absolutely!! :)

@@futureskinnybtch @@jhayden1 I was banded november 10, 2009.... so it's been a while. Remember girls.... this will pass i promise. Trust in the process. Don't fall off the wagon.. Keep with what your dr says to do.

This site use to be for only LB patients when i first got here. Then it switched to all WLS. So you have to look for the LB post... there are some oldies but goodies in here.... simply do a search above.

There are some of us "old-timers" left... no many as they got tired of hearing all the crap from GB and Sleevers bashing the band.

PM me if you have questions and ill be happy to answer with my experiences.

Good luck and remember...... You will get out of the band... What you put in

I agree with everything she said. Only thing is, there are a lot of GB and sleevers that seem to seek out only to bash banders. Wonder why this is??

Thanks ladies.

I've never heard of "healing hunger" and can't imagine feeling hungry at all right after surgery. But that's neither here nor there.

When I was banded it was still standard to install a band with no saline. That's changed, as you know. It doesn't mean that you won't need an adjustment or perhaps more than one to get your band to the point of being your ideal dance partner. I say this not to discourage you, but so that you know what may come. There is no one-experience-fits-all. I knew one lucky chap whose empty band was all he ever needed.

You may find that, as you meet others with bands, its fun or interesting to compare saline levels. Be aware, though, that the amount of saline in a band means nothing. What is significant is having the amount does the job.

You'll be fine.

The healing hunger is due to a swollen stomach (more applicable to sleevers though) and excess acid due to changes in the stomach. I knew with my band, I had a lot if acid, and that mimicked hunger sometimes. I sure wish I was taking a ppi back then. I didn't learn about it till I got the revision. There is a good video about swelling stomach and hunger sensations on YouTube made by Dr. Alvarez.

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

@@Sai, thanks for the explanation. Not having a lot of acid, I can't imagine mimicked hunger because of it. I have enough to do stopping myself long enough to determine whether I'm feeling real hunger or the emotional variety. A weight-losers work is never done.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch