Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap-Band Failure Rates

I have had the lab band for about 10 years now. For me, it was a complete failure. Actually, I found ways to

"eat more" with the band, resulting in more weight gain. A few years ago, I had all the Fluid emptied out of it, and went on with my life as if I never had the surgery. I joined Weight Watchers and started losing weight successfully. I am fully convinced that these bariatric surgeries are not worth the money, the time, and the constant discomfort. The only thing that works is a full commitment to a drastic lifestyle change. Unless your insurance pays for the surgery (which mine didn't), save your money and invest in a good treadmill or elliptical trainer.

I was banded about 4 years ago, knew there were risks but my band actually broke!! the tubing from my port to the band completely broke. I'm not sure why but I did throw up quite severly after eating some bad seafood-lots of dry heaving and stuff. A couple days later I started having major pain in my left abdomen, radiating to my neck (in the bones). I had an EKG (they thought it was cardiac at first), then an ultrasound (then they thought it was gallstones-even though the results were negative-crazy doctors) THEN I had a CT with oral AND IV contrast...wow...thats when they told me my band tubing was broken and "poking" me in the spleen and diaphram. Now I get to go through MORE testing (endoscopy) to see if I am ALSO erroded (because it is so common now) before they even schedule me for surgery...I will be having the band removed. It has not worked for me(no weight loss-at all) but I will admit that most of that is my "fault" as I was unable to maintain the adjustments due to insurance and was not as restricted as I could have been, but the complications are just too risky for me-mother of a great 10 year old. I was on a running program before the band broke, so hope to get back to that soon.

Has anyone else had a "broken tubing issue" its not just leaking but completely (for lack of more technical term) severed...

I have had it for 4 yrs now...& it's a 100% total failure for me. there are not "ways to eat more" you just CAN...I gained more than before I had it too! I had it totally emptied about about 2 yrs ago and went on with my life too. I also say it's not worth the pain the discomfort...totally not worth it...

I hear you...I am also fully convinced that these bariatric surgeries are way to prey on fat people!! a total waste of time and money!! Of course you can't convince newbies of this...you wouldn't of convinced me 4 yrs ago that it's a total waste of time.

Absolutely save your money IF insurance doesn't pay for it...(mine didn't either! & when I think of the money I spent what I could of done with it instead!!!)

Yup, one way to lose weight...the old fashioned way...a total drastic lifestyle change with proper nutrition & exercise

If I had to recommend the best way to lose weight it's Weight Watchers...Good luck with that it's the best way to go as it's normal everyday food. :-)

I have had the lab band for about 10 years now. For me, it was a complete failure. Actually, I found ways to

"eat more" with the band, resulting in more weight gain. A few years ago, I had all the Fluid emptied out of it, and went on with my life as if I never had the surgery. I joined Weight Watchers and started losing weight successfully. I am fully convinced that these bariatric surgeries are not worth the money, the time, and the constant discomfort. The only thing that works is a full commitment to a drastic lifestyle change. Unless your insurance pays for the surgery (which mine didn't), save your money and invest in a good treadmill or elliptical trainer.

I had my scope done yesterday and my band has completely eroded into my stomach. it is so weird seeing that on film. I mean the whole band is inside my stomach. Never 1 symptom of that happening either. On 11/3 i will have my band removed after having it for 8 years. The dr said my band has been eroded prob for over 1 year now cause the stomach has completely healed around it. I will have to wait 3-4 months for it to heal so i can convert to gastric sleeve. Wished i had never gotten this band now.