Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap-Band Failure Rates

Well actually just got horrible news. They want to charge me the full cost of an original surgery to fix it. Can't swing that, so... now what. Damn insurance.

:smile2: OMG!!! Can your medical cover it? I mean you cant go around with a problem, something awful might happen... I don't know what country you live in...but there must be SOME recourse against the surgeon? How can they possibly charge FULL price??

I'd be looking into that if I were you.

Jachut: IF I lived in the same place as my surgeon there would be NO cost for fillsde-fills and any check-ups, even though I self-paid. Besides that, our medical WONT cover WLS any of it.

Please post this in other sites. Very realistic. I was banded 5 yrs ago with 2 other friends. I am the only one with a band still in me. No complications-thank god!

My band has slipped for the second time :) When it slipped the first time it was due to getting very sick with the flu and throwing up for several days. When they offered to remove the band and replace it I had a twinge of doubt but I had such good luck up until the slippage that I deceided to go ahead with it. I now wish I would not of had the band replaced. I would of never done it if I had thought that I was going to go through surgery yet a third time to have it removed. It slipped this time for no apparent reason. The only explanation I have gotten is that you are much more likely to slip if you have had a slippage before. I am very sad that I lost my band but much more than that I am sad that I have put my body through 3 surgeries in two years only to be left with lots of scars and no weight loss tool to help me keep the weight off. I was a fairly healthy overweight person, just couldn't loose the weight and keep it off. The main reason for getting the surgery was to prevent getting diabetes as it runs in my family and I was showing signs of developing the disease. I am not sure what I am going to do now but I would like to suggest to anyone who knows they have a slippage to think long and hard about re-banding as I am hearing more and more about people slipping the second time around too. I never even thought to investigate slippage the second time around, I was just too afraid to live without the band. Now I wish I would of looked into it more and taken more time to make my decision.

Hello,

I was banded on April 4, 2007. I was at 285lbs and it is now 2009 and I am only at 263lbsmad.gif. I have discussed this with my physician because she do not have a clue of what is going on:huh2:. I go get a fill and in less than a week my restriction is gone.eek.gif Then I go right back to her and the same thing happens againfrown.gif. Then she restricted me so much that I could not even get a bottle of Water down. So I went back to get it unfilled. She talked to a DR in KY who told her to have me under fluro, drink barium and look at the band which she did. According to her she do not see any leakage:smile2:, she filled the band again and the same thing happen. I am tired because I have gotten 12 fills in 2 months and this is ridiculous. I have started to see another surgeon, i transfered my medical records to them, and they want me to go through the whole seeing a psychiatrist, and weight loss seminar etc and then he tells me we are going to take a look at the band and see if we can work with it!! I have been working with it for 2yrs. Can anyone give me some feedback of a Dr in Indianapolis who is not going to go through all this and understand what I have been through to help instead of trying to milk my insurance company and my pockets? I know "sorry to hear about my band" lol. Any feedback will be helpful. O and by the way, I work out six times a week for 1 1/2 hrs and my diet is nothing but fresh fruits and vegtables, steamed and baked fish or chicken NO SWEETS AT ALL, NO SODA, NO ICE CREAM none of that, and it is still not working. Can anyone give some advice on a DR. Thanks:lol::thumbup:

My band has slipped for the second time :blush: When it slipped the first time it was due to getting very sick with the flu and throwing up for several days. When they offered to remove the band and replace it I had a twinge of doubt but I had such good luck up until the slippage that I deceided to go ahead with it. I now wish I would not of had the band replaced. I would of never done it if I had thought that I was going to go through surgery yet a third time to have it removed. It slipped this time for no apparent reason. The only explanation I have gotten is that you are much more likely to slip if you have had a slippage before. I am very sad that I lost my band but much more than that I am sad that I have put my body through 3 surgeries in two years only to be left with lots of scars and no weight loss tool to help me keep the weight off. I was a fairly healthy overweight person, just couldn't loose the weight and keep it off. The main reason for getting the surgery was to prevent getting diabetes as it runs in my family and I was showing signs of developing the disease. I am not sure what I am going to do now but I would like to suggest to anyone who knows they have a slippage to think long and hard about re-banding as I am hearing more and more about people slipping the second time around too. I never even thought to investigate slippage the second time around, I was just too afraid to live without the band. Now I wish I would of looked into it more and taken more time to make my decision.

Oh no :-( really? Because I have possible slippage...I was doing alright until last nighttoday...I am very sick again and now getting reflux and coughing...I'm worried it has slipped...but I have already made the decision that IF it has..I'm going to have it removed :-(

Thanks for the post :-)

If I had it to do all over again I would of had the band removed and not put a new one in. My doctor did tell me that there is a higher chance of a band slipping the second time around but I was so desperate to keep my band I didn't even consider not getting another band. I loved the band before I had the first slippage, it worked great, I lost weight and I felt great but now I just think I am one of the unlucky ones that the band will not work for anymore.

I would like to thank you all for your posts and replies on this subject. I am still deciding on banding and was in need of some info on real problems etc. of banding. This type of info is hard to find. I thin I agree that everyone is different and need to make decisions based on their needs and abiitiy to confront possible set backs. thanks again. I am 67 years young and do have health issues.

I haven't been on here, or posted anything, in months and months... this is because in March 2009, I had to have my band removed. I am glad to see this forum discussing this critical issue of band failure and problems.

I don't want to discourage people from doing what they want to, it's your body... and I will tell you that for a while, the band DID work for me, until it DIDN'T. Now, I am band-free, but gaining. And gaining.

My band sprung a leak after 2 1/2 years of positive loss and changes to my life. This was devestating to me. But I had no idea something more troubling, devastating and stressful was coming -- trying to get the damn thing removed. I tried through my insurance first - no dice, because I had the band placed in MX and they literally told me "it's not hurting you to keep it in there" so they wouldn't help. I tried talking to Allergan - they are F-ing worthless. Told me their product is infallible, and to take a hike -- they also, oddly, told me it won't hurt me to "leave it in there" -- BS. I talked to some attorneys, they ALL turned me away - with the last person I spoke to (being one of the ONLY lawyers in the U.S. to sue Allergan regarding the lap-band) -- he said "the band is an excellent device, well researched and proven... I can't help you, good luck." Seriously? So... I had to wait, and wait... saved and saved money -- to get it removed on my own.

It was in April 2008 that I discovered the problem, almost a year before I could get it removed. When I finally had enough money saved, I was going back to a great DR in MX for a removal and revision to sleeve... then more problems came to light. The doctor found that the band had started to erode into my stomach -- it had literally started to grow around the outside of the band, and it was eating INTO my stomach wall. What should have been a 30-60 minute surgery was much longer, much more complicated, and my tummy was such a mess, I could not have the revision. Thank goodness I had an honest and ethical doctor who, though he could have made twice the money from me doing a revision, literally gave me over half of my payment back, because they refused to do the sleeve, due to the seriously bad shape my stomach was in.

Anyways, that's my band story. Got it in... never had one single problem, sprung a leak, nothing but problems from that point on. When my band was functioning properly, I had lost 78 pounds at one point. Without it, I have been struggling ever since. Have gained probably 35 pounds back over the time since it broke.

Would I do it again, I would have to say no. This cost me a lot of money, a lot of mental and physical anguish, and I'm headed right back to where I started (in terms of weight). Every single day has been an emotional and physical struggle since my band broke, and since it has been removed... even more.

I would caution those who want to cover their eyes and ears and ignore these warnings... the stats are only going UP for band failures (of all kinds) - leaks, breaks, erosions, slips, bubbles, port problems, etc. Do your homework, and I mean well beyond these forums... do the math (between having the band placed, adjustments, cost of many doctor visits in US after leak, then the removal), I could have self-paid here in the US for surgery 5 years ago... and it would STILL have been less expensive than the massive expenses I have incurred as well. Regardless, the monetary cost is nothing compared to the psychological cost...

I hope my story helps someone. I try not to dwell on it, but some days I wake up sad and angry about this... and with good reason. Every single day was a struggle before the band, and since it broke, its been BEYOND a struggle after.

Best wishes to all! :sad:

I haven't been on here, or posted anything, in months and months... this is because in March 2009, I had to have my band removed. I am glad to see this forum discussing this critical issue of band failure and problems.

I don't want to discourage people from doing what they want to, it's your body... and I will tell you that for a while, the band DID work for me, until it DIDN'T. Now, I am band-free, but gaining. And gaining.

My band sprung a leak after 2 1/2 years of positive loss and changes to my life. This was devestating to me. But I had no idea something more troubling, devastating and stressful was coming -- trying to get the damn thing removed. I tried through my insurance first - no dice, because I had the band placed in MX and they literally told me "it's not hurting you to keep it in there" so they wouldn't help. I tried talking to Allergan - they are F-ing worthless. Told me their product is infallible, and to take a hike -- they also, oddly, told me it won't hurt me to "leave it in there" -- BS. I talked to some attorneys, they ALL turned me away - with the last person I spoke to (being one of the ONLY lawyers in the U.S. to sue Allergan regarding the lap-band) -- he said "the band is an excellent device, well researched and proven... I can't help you, good luck." Seriously? So... I had to wait, and wait... saved and saved money -- to get it removed on my own.

It was in April 2008 that I discovered the problem, almost a year before I could get it removed. When I finally had enough money saved, I was going back to a great DR in MX for a removal and revision to sleeve... then more problems came to light. The doctor found that the band had started to erode into my stomach -- it had literally started to grow around the outside of the band, and it was eating INTO my stomach wall. What should have been a 30-60 minute surgery was much longer, much more complicated, and my tummy was such a mess, I could not have the revision. Thank goodness I had an honest and ethical doctor who, though he could have made twice the money from me doing a revision, literally gave me over half of my payment back, because they refused to do the sleeve, due to the seriously bad shape my stomach was in.

Anyways, that's my band story. Got it in... never had one single problem, sprung a leak, nothing but problems from that point on. When my band was functioning properly, I had lost 78 pounds at one point. Without it, I have been struggling ever since. Have gained probably 35 pounds back over the time since it broke.

Would I do it again, I would have to say no. This cost me a lot of money, a lot of mental and physical anguish, and I'm headed right back to where I started (in terms of weight). Every single day has been an emotional and physical struggle since my band broke, and since it has been removed... even more.

I would caution those who want to cover their eyes and ears and ignore these warnings... the stats are only going UP for band failures (of all kinds) - leaks, breaks, erosions, slips, bubbles, port problems, etc. Do your homework, and I mean well beyond these forums... do the math (between having the band placed, adjustments, cost of many doctor visits in US after leak, then the removal), I could have self-paid here in the US for surgery 5 years ago... and it would STILL have been less expensive than the massive expenses I have incurred as well. Regardless, the monetary cost is nothing compared to the psychological cost...

I hope my story helps someone. I try not to dwell on it, but some days I wake up sad and angry about this... and with good reason. Every single day was a struggle before the band, and since it broke, its been BEYOND a struggle after.

Best wishes to all! :)

Thank you for telling us your story. I live in the UK and had found someone in London to do my band. It took me awhile as my BMI is 34 and in the UK surgeons will not do it with that BMI. He agreed to do as I have lost wieght before but cannot keep it off. While I was waiting to see if he would do it I found this site and what I read about the problems that can happen years afterwards put me of having the band fitted. I will be looking at having the Gastric Sleeve next year!

Take care

MJ :sad:

Best wishes to all! :)

Thank you for posting :-) I am so sorry to hear about what happened to you.

I am still waiting for a barium swallow and ultrasound (takes forever in BC!! our stupid medical system) even though I got surgery done in Toronto.

As for the moment, it is NOT working, I was giving it a 2nd try after a defill. But no luck. Meanwhile I got diagnosed with a medical problem that makes having the band pointless.

So after all is said and done....looks like I"m going to have to have it removed.

Meanwhile I struggle with weight(just like before) but I won't

give up, I'll keep exercising and trying to watch what I eat, I just won't have the band to help.

I understand how you feel. I agree with what you have said.

Good Luck to you, and I hope you feel better.

:sad:

i just had my band placed 10-27-09 and I am really having a hard time I want to have it removed I am totally freaked out that I have a foreign object in my body all I do is cry and I can't sleep I have nightmares when I do sleep that my stomach is being strangled what do you think the chances are of having it removed I know I can't live with this thing Please let me know if any one eles fells this way Joann

Joann, you haven't had the band long enough to really know where you are. It's hard at first. Post-operatively, you hav swelling, gas from the abdominal inflation, an all-liquid diet...I could go on. But the bottom line is 7 days isn't an indication of what bdanded life is like AT ALL.

Give it a month at least. By that point you will have advanced your diet (for me at 4 weeks, I was on regular food again but it varies by doctor), you will have healed, the gas and soreness will be gone.

It's pretty common to have second thoughts right after surgery but remember what took you to the surgeon's office in the first place. Do you absolutely want to go back to that dark place where you'd pretty much given up on yourself? Or do you want to give this time to prove itself?

Got questions? I'll be glad to answer any that you might have. Or offer encouragement.

Thank you VERY MUCH for posting this info!

You're very welcome. Sorry to be a Debbie-Downer, but this is all verifiable fact. I support any and all who do what they need to do for themselves; however, I hope we all have the proper information to make the best decision we can, prior to committing to something as serious as surgery.

On another note with me... I am going in for a sleeve February 1. I was able to (again) save and save and find a way to do this. I have, unfortunately, gained back almost all of my lost band weight. I am now at 210 lbs. Starting my pre-op diet tomorrow morning, and am counting the days. CANNOT WAIT! Scared, but SO excited. This is what I've been hoping, praying, and waiting for!

:unsure:

Best to all here at LBT. I'm also under this same name (Youknowit) over at Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy Surgery (VSG) Forum

;):thumbup:

What I meant by the procedure having improved is modifications that have been made. For instance, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe they used to stitch the top and bottom portions of the stomach together around the band but they do now to prevent slippage.

I asked my doctor if he stitched the band to prevent slipping and he said he didn't. I don't know if that is the norm.