Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 5 1/2 months post-op and I've lost 90.5lbs since my gastric sleeve surgery. I'm currently sitting at 192.0lbs and stand 5'7.

Recently, I've been received the comment "so, when are you going to stop losing weight?" Or "oh my, you really need to stop losing weight. You are getting too thin".

My BMI still is considered obese and my goal is to be "normal".

Has anyone else received comments like these from friends/family/coworkers??

I'm sure it's just a huge difference to them . Keep it up you know how much you should be at.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I agree, they are just not used to seeing you NOT morbidly obese. Honestly I would be tempted to tell them "I am 5'8", according to healthy weight charts I need to be between 125 and 163 pounds to be considered normal, I am working hard to get down to somewhere within that range".

Seriously, I hate it when people say things like that to those who are trying to get down to a healthy weight. All of my kids are adults and healthy weight. My oldest daughter is 5'4" and weighs around 115, which is within the NORMAL range of healthy. While some women seem jealous of her size no one has ever told her she looks too skinny (she still has a butt and hips, believe me). They have never seen her any larger.

It was at least 4 years postop before I stopped hearing "You're so thin....When are you going to stop losing?" I had actually reached my low weight at 18 months (160 pounds down) so the joke was on them. I guess they just couldn't get the image of "Fat Mary" out of their heads.

I've told this story before, but relevant.

My hubby had RNY 10 years ago. He started at 300 and had gotten down to a healthy 175 pounds, but all he ever heard was "You're too skinny!" And "You need to stop losing weight!"

When he was lamenting to his surgeon about the comments, his surgeon simply said "There are so many overweight and obese people these days, they don't even know what a normal weight looks like anymore".

Yep, I am still about 20-25 pounds from my goal weight range which would put me at a normal bmi but I hear from people at work how they are worried I'm going to get to thin and that I don't need to lose any more.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has been hearing this.

I'd never let this stop me from reaching my goal, but it's just getting a little irritating.

Yep, I am still about 20-25 pounds from my goal weight range which would put me at a normal bmi but I hear from people at work how they are worried I'm going to get to thin and that I don't need to lose any more.

I'm 5'2, 195lbs day of surgery. 5 weeks out and 165. Will I lose more or stay around the weight? My goal is a nice healthy 145lbs.

Sent from my KFJWI using the BariatricPal App

Not yet since I am less than a month out of surgery but if anyway does ever ask me that (and I hope I get skinny enough that they will), I'm just gonna reply with "NEVER!" :)

I hope to have VSG soon. One last appointment for insurance. I think if people ask me when I am going to stop losing weight I'll tell them I'm trying to get to my birth weight. Hahaha

I'm 5'2, 195lbs day of surgery. 5 weeks out and 165. Will I lose more or stay around the weight? My goal is a nice healthy 145lbs.

Sent from my KFJWI using the BariatricPal App

Given how recent your surgery was, I would suspect that you will continue to lose weight. At 5'2" weighting less than 145 would be considered healthy.

I told them that I had weight loss surgery and when the body recovers from the surgery it goes into a period called bounceback. During that time, it will be normal for me to regain twenty or more pounds.

So I am working on losing an extra twenty pounds so I will be at a normal weight after the bounceback period ends. At 30 months ou.t I regained 18 pounds.

The comments stopped being about too skinny and people started saying I needed to lose a bit more.

My husband is already trying to limit my weight loss and is obsessing about my losing to much. For my height i can literally weigh 88lbs-124lbs. I have a heavy type bone structure. Not bird like at all. When i was 18 i weighed 104 and you could see my clavicle. So I know i am never going go win. Either people will say I am too heavy or too thin. Just how it is. I have wide hips so for a reward I am going to even out my bottom half with some a new tatas. Lol. And then i know I am going to get even more negativity. Find the balance that works for you. But most of all love your inner self and focus on feeding your soul. We aren't just about weight loss after the surgery. Although I fear that is an obsession I am going to have.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App