Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No desire to eat or drik

I was sleeved on September 19th, 12 days post-op, and just started full liquids yesterday. I have reached my 32 oz fluids goal only once and now my Fluid goal is 40 oz. My first post-op visit was Wednesday and the nutritionist said I must get my fluids or I'll end up in the hospital dehydrated. My problem, I do not want anything. Everything tastes bad/not right. I have no desire to eat or drink. Being from Louisiana I LOVE to cook. I've been watching food Network channel and in my head, I know it all looks great, but I couldn't care less to taste anything. Usually I want to cook something I've seen and put my own twist on it... nope, no desire. Yesterday I had 16 oz of Water and a cup of applesauce. My head knows I have to eat and drink, but my mouth and stomach wants nothing to do with anything. Will my taste get better? Will I want to eat and drink? When? Has anyone else gone through this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

You just had significant surgery to lose weight.

I'd take not being turned on by food right now as a bonus.

Make the most of it.

The beginning is tough with appetite. I'm just over 3 weeks out and still don't really have an appetite. Do the best you can, especially in the first few weeks, but make sure you drink your fluids. Jello was a good snack for me that counts as a Fluid. I've also been drinking Water with lemon or other sugar free flavors. Keep trying - it will get a little easier!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using the BariatricPal App

sugar free popsicles count as Fluid. Maybe the cold and flavor will help.

The first 4 or 5 days I loved them, now I can't stand them. Same with Jello. I'm forcing myself to get in what I do. Sonic unsweet tea with lemon has been my favorite so far. I haven't had any in a few days, so I pray that I still like that. I like more salty than sweet, and most of what I can have is sweet. I wish I could hit fast forward a little. Lol So far today, 1/4 cup of applesauce and about 8 oz of fluids. I'm still trying.

What about broth? Not that canned stuff; make your own. Pull the meat from a grocery store rotisserie chicken, and throw the bones in a pot with 2-3 quarts of "boxed" chicken broth, a quartered onion, 6 or more carrots (depending on size), 6 celery stalks, several garlic cloves, and some salt, sage, thyme. Cover and simmer about 3 hours, until everything is squishy and soft. Strain through a colandar and throw out anything solid. If you are worried about the spices being gritty, strain through cheesecloth. If I'm making beef broth, I buy bones (fresh bones in the meat department labeled "dog bones" are OK, but check with the butcher if you are worried) and roast them in the oven with some onions and garlic at 350 for about an hour. That all goes in the Soup pot with the rest of the stuff listed above, swapping out beef broth for chicken. Honestly, it's pretty good, very savory, and has some Protein in it. I took the beef broth when we went to a friend's home for a birthday celebration, and they served prime rib. Honestly, with my tasty beef broth, I didn't feel too terribly deprived- it was as good as homemade au jus!

The first 4 or 5 days I loved them, now I can't stand them. Same with Jello. I'm forcing myself to get in what I do. Sonic unsweet tea with lemon has been my favorite so far. I haven't had any in a few days, so I pray that I still like that. I like more salty than sweet, and most of what I can have is sweet. I wish I could hit fast forward a little. Lol So far today, 1/4 cup of applesauce and about 8 oz of fluids. I'm still trying.

I am with you there. I can barely gag down choc Protein and Jello. Everything is so sweet and the chicken Protein makes me nauseous. I am more of a savory than sweet person and these few weeks are going to be a challenge. I have a desire to eat, but more like the idea of it. A cup of coffee and a slice of toast sounded wonderful this morning. But I choked down 2oz of protein instead.????

Sent from my KFTBWI using the BariatricPal App

I am 5 days post op and having same problem. Water tastes terrible to me, crystal light tastes too sweet. I am lucky if I get 24 oz a day in. Protein shakes taste ok, but after drinking like 3oz feel nauseous. My sister that went thru this 4 years ago is helping me, to me it seems everything has a metallic taste. My follow up is Wed hoping to be better by then.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

my hubby just picked me up some swansons beef broth. Added some salt and pepper and I am a happy girl. I purchased some unflavored Protein and when that comes in I'll add it. But NOTHING tasted good. All the Protein products are so sweet. Loving my savory "dinner" of a mug of beef broth. First thing, other than popsicles, I have been happy to drink/eat.

I am 5 days post op and having same problem. Water tastes terrible to me, crystal light tastes too sweet. I am lucky if I get 24 oz a day in. Protein shakes taste ok, but after drinking like 3oz feel nauseous. My sister that went thru this 4 years ago is helping me, to me it seems everything has a metallic taste. My follow up is Wed hoping to be better by then.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Having a metallic taste in your mouth is pretty common post-op, with any kind of surgery/anesthesia. How long does it take you to drink your 3oz of shake? My nut said try to drink 8oz in an hour; make sure you aren't drinking it too quickly. If stuff tastes too sweet try watering it down. I was having leg cramps so had to drink Powerade Zero, but I HAD to cut it 1:1 with Water, and serve it over ice. Otherwise, it was just too sweet.

Thank ya'll so much! I've been getting so worried about not being able to consume enough fluids. Today was better! Fluid goal is 40 oz and I got 43.9! Protein goal is 30, I got 34! Plus and extra 1/2 cup of applesauce! Praying for each day to be better than the day before.