Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It's a very rainy Saturday here in the U.K. and I am being so lazy. I'm loving every minute of my laziness too. I deserve it. I've earned it-no question! I have walked five miles every day this week, completed two 75 minute ballet classes and have had a couple of half mile swims. I've also completed most of my daily domestic chores, plus found time to gossip with friends and look after my husband and organise him.

This time last year I could have managed the domestic side of the deal but the long walks? Forget it. The most the dogs got was a couple of miles a day if they were lucky. A dawdle round the local park was their lot. As for a ballet class........out of the question. I could no more have struggled into a leotard and tights and indulged in anything vaguely balletic than explore Mars. I could swim but that was because the Water was holding me up and as we know, fat is fairly buoyant. I had plenty of THAT!

In June 2015 I went to a reunion of ballet dancers who I worked with when I was 20 years old. I was aware that I was overweight but the photos that were taken that day showed just how large I was, especially in comparison to my still slim and fit contemporaries. I was mortified and more than a little embarrassed.

That did it. I had to do something and do it fast. For the sake of my health and my vanity I knew that drastic measures were required.

I set to, with the help of my friend Google and researched myself into a stupor. I found out about all the bariatric surgery options available to me. I knew that every other diet and fitness regime had failed partly due to the fact that I loved my food and had a capacious appetite. I had to be able to physically limit my food intake capacity whilst I re-trained my body and more importantly, my brain, in regards to what I should be eating.

The VSG appeared to be the answer to my prayers.

I knew that I couldn't afford to have the surgery here in the UK and that I wasn't quite large enough to have the surgery through our NHS system so I looked further afield.

I contacted a few places abroad, visited their representatives in London, made my decision (ECFS in Belgium) and set everything in motion.

Nearly a year ago, I set off, with my husband with me, for a few days that have changed my life.

I had no second thoughts, no qualms, no fear. Just the certainty that the path that I was taking was the right one for me and my health.

I had a final meal the night before my surgery and basically had a food funeral. I indulged myself to the maximum. Then, from the required time, I obediently stopped eating!

The surgery was the easy bit. It was the hours through the night after it that were awful. I hurt. I could NOT get comfortable no matter what position I struggled into. Eventually, at about 4am I discovered a way of propping myself up that enabled me to sleep. I still felt like death warmed up but at least I could get some shut eye. I could also forget about the tube that was shoved down my nose and throat which made me want to gag!

The uncomfortable period didn't last for long and by midday, having had all the relevant tests and been seen by my consultant, the day after my surgery I was back in the hotel, sipping water and being nursed by my very attentive and brilliantly patient husband. He had some apple juice standing by for when I could manage something a bit more interesting than plain water. I managed it that night.

The following day, I was able to get out of bed, shower, dress and re-join the human race. I had a visit from the senior nursing consultant who told me that I was free to go out into the town. Yippee-maybe some shopping and spoiling perhaps? Off we went, and although we had plenty of stops for apple juice and tea breaks we had a great mooch round the shops. I felt great. No pain at all. All that was left to do was to return home the next day but not before I explored the beautiful town of Lisle for hours before getting onto the Eurostar train to return to the UK.

That was the start of my journey.

I have now lost 70lbs with 14 still to go until I get to the goal (120lbs) that I have set myself. My BMI has gone from 36 to 23.7. I feel amazing.

I made a promise to a friend that I would start doing ballet classes once I had lost the majority of my weight and on my 60th birthday three weeks ago I went back to class for the first time in 25 years. Ouch. I suffered. If I go for a swim immediately afterwards though, I have discovered that my muscles don't seize up. Result! I am loving it. I had forgotten the sheer joy of dancing. I had also forgotten just what was involved in using my core muscles to do even the most basic of moves. However, muscle memory appears to hang around for a long time and I am loving the feeling of using bits of my body that have long been dormant. I cannot lie and say that I do not get completely knackered. I do, but it is a good feeling. I know what my physical goals are and now that I am not carting around the weight I reckon I can achieve them. I ain't going to be dancing Swan Lake any time soon but my two year old (replaced) right hip and arthritic left knee are coping pretty well all things considered.

If I can get to this point I reckon anyone can.

Believe in yourself, reach for your dreams. Grab life by its balls and LIVE it. Oh, and get plenty of Protein and water and don't sweat the stall stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Great story and huge respect for your actions.

Go ahead. You have my express permission!

I did post in the Gastric Sleeve, Tell your gastric sleeve story forum.

Should I have looked for the War and Peace thread? If that's the case could you tell me where to find it on this sight? Sigh................

Ah, just checked out the miserable troll. Three posts, newbie and pre op. It'll learn if it stays around and doesn't piss people off!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by jintycb

Jintycb bless you for posting,I'm one of your cousins 10 generations ago . Pure- ish WÀSP , just a little older from York and Lancaster way back, now we're "american" and I once did ballet until I got kicked out for growing too tall. Instructor told my parents I'd have trouble finding partners tall , said only tall dancer was Juliet Prowse and ended up acting. After 2 years of faithful instruction and with feet into ladies sizes at 8. At least I can boast I turned out well but large. 23 of your stone, and that's after some loss. Get revised about Halloween with a RnY and be on my way to thinner better health ????????????

Sent from my S55 using the BariatricPal App