Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Maintenance after one year with sleeve

I am 16 months out since getting the sleeve. Had revision from band to sleeve. Now in this maintenance phase i see that it is much harder to maintain the weight loss since the " honeymoon" period is basically over and now the hard part of this lifestyle begins. I been going up and down with weight. I was down to 179 lbs and now i see my weight going up and down to 185-188 lbs range. Don't know what to expect now in this stage and also the reality that now i am going like a yoyo with my weight. I am aware that after one year you are more hungrier and the ghrelin hormone does climb up more. Need pointers from fellow sleevers on what their experience has been and i know many or some of you can relate to my situation. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I have experienced the same, and struggle. Back on shakes.

I continue to track my food intake and make sure I stay within my maintenance calorie range. I weigh myself every day and if I get even 1 lb into my "red zone" (I allow myself a 4 lb fluctuation) I drop into weight loss mode, which means I eat 500 calories per day less.

Even in maintenance I avoid, for the most part, sweets, starchy veggies, tropical fruits, and liquid calories. Grains are limited to one serving of whole grains per day. I find that when I keep away from these sorts of food, my level of hunger and cravings is lower and it is easier for me to maintain.

The cold hard truth is I am going to have to work hard to maintain my weight for the rest of my life.

I was sleeved in March 2014. I went from 230 to 166 and crept up to 175. Now I fluctuate between 175 and 170. Here is the kicker....I work out 3-5 days per week at orange theory, burning 450 to 500 calories per session and I still maintain. My eating isn't as strict as it was the first year but I still follow a high Protein low carb diet 80% of the time. Basically, maintaining is hard work!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by akreese02

Whatever you did during your "honeymoon" year is basically what you have to continue to do for the rest of your life. Deviating from what made you successful in the first place is like falling off the wagon with every other failed diet you undertook prior to WLS. If you are struggling to comply then I would strongly suggest seeking professional therapy of counseling. A lifetime of maintenance is all about changing your relationship with food to one of nutritional value, not comfort or emotional satisfaction. There are ways to deal with true, physical hunger that don't cause regain. It's the head hunger that blows it for us.

I never had the honeymoon phase. I've been busting my button in the gym since week 3! I am 17 months out and struggle also. I am somewhere between 121 and 127. It depends on what week of the month it is. I don't change my diet or my exercise but I can gain 4 pounds overnight. I like to stay around 125 or less. I eat 1200 to 1400calories a day. I run 25 miles a week, walk 6, Zumba an hour a week, and weight training 2 hours a week. Beyond that I am extremely active. I have an 18 month old, work full time, and am a grad student.

Sent from my SM-G935V using the BariatricPal App